US Weather Agency to Boost Supercomputers to 2.5 Petaflops Each

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
NOAA will be upgrading two of its supercomputers over this year and the result will be an increase of computing power times-ten, resulting in more accurate weather forecasts and warnings. The two computers will have a combined capacity of five petaflops.

With the bump in power, the National Weather Service will be able to run an upgraded version of its Global Forecast System with better resolution and longer weather forecasts.

I can only imagine they are just like us, constantly trying to get a higher "resolution" of their data/calculations, jealous at other, better computer hardware.

Uhm, did you know it is dark out most of the night? I just stepped our side, it was not raining so it might be a fair day. I forecast that with one flop.

I wonder if they can use all the cores. My CPU is over 4 years old now and I still have two cores that essentially do nothing in a gaming environment.

I wonder if they can use all the cores. My CPU is over 4 years old now and I still have two cores that essentially do nothing in a gaming environment.

LOL

These aren't gaming computers.
They are clustered systems running massively-SMP programs and applications.

Yeah, I think they will use all available cores. ;)

HAHAHAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

2.5 petaflops to track down the variables they still can't find? yeah. good luck with that NOAA.

Stop playing games that are 5+ years old then. :rolleyes:

Instead of building bigger supercomputers why don't they build a distributed modeller? Surely people would be willing to run it for a better forecast...

Not just that, but there's large scale thermodynamics they haven't properly adjusted for. It's a science that needs much improvement.

Now they can issue more detailed wrong weather forecasts even faster. :D

On serious note weather patterns must be quite a complex thing to study, it's incredible that they can even be partially right most of the time. They may be off by days sometimes but the general forecast is usually in the ball park, and major events like big storms are usually fairly accurate.

2.5 petaflops to track down the variables they still can't find? yeah. good luck with that NOAA.

No, 2.5 petaflops to model all the known variables as many times as possible to create a reasonably accurate forecast of upcoming weather... Its amazing that we can model things like wind and rain as well as we can.

What's the point of your post, exactly?

Back