Tablet Users to Exceed One Billion

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We’ve all heard that tablets are the future of mobile computing and how the tablets are going to take over the world. This fact may be coming true; tablets now constitute 15% of the world’s population as users or in round numbers, one Billion current users, but the growth rate is now beginning to slow.

While the number of tablet users will increase by just over 17 percent in 2015, eMarketer says that growth was 53.1 percent in 2013 and 29.1 percent in 2014.

Wait I'm pretty sure I saw a story online about how larger phones were hurting tablets.... :rolleyes:

Wait I'm pretty sure I saw a story online about how larger phones were hurting tablets.... :rolleyes:

Why are you rolling your eyes?

I also read an article that talks about how larger phones are hurting the Tablet market.

Makes perfect sense to me, I bought a tablet off a buddy of mine who just bought a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3" and had no use for the tablet anymore, got it for super cheap for one of my nieces.

Leo Laporte also talks on his technology podcast about how larger phones are hurting the Tablet market.

and how many of those tablets are chinese knocks off being used in Asia.. :) there is about 500milion of that number

They must be sharing since most of the numbers that I've seen show less than 700 million tablets sold to date, and that assumes that they are all still in service. :confused:

Not really sure why so many people see phones, tablets and desktops/laptops as a zero sum game. Sure, tablet growth has backed way off but the overall market is still growing and PC growth is still non-existent though the big declines seem to ended for now.

There's enough differences among the devices such that they aren't mutually exclusive.

Not really sure why so many people see phones, tablets and desktops/laptops as a zero sum game. Sure, tablet growth has backed way off but the overall market is still growing and PC growth is still non-existent though the big declines seem to ended for now.

There's enough differences among the devices such that they aren't mutually exclusive.

We already have more computers in the house than people. (3 people, 3 desktops, 2 laptops and a HTPC).
Plus an Android Tablet and 3 phones. That's over 3 devices per person :)

Still, I'm looking to get another tablet to dedicate to reading. I can get a cheap 8" tablet for about the same as the cost of my current newspaper subscription. Plan to switch to Sunday only and just read the paper on-line with the tablet the rest of the week. (need the 2nd tablet since the other one is usually in use by the family during the time I would normally be reading the paper).

When I think of the next billion tablet users, I see a billion of smiles light up all over China, all with an overbite.

Interesting to see tablets replacing cash registers, I was thinking how hipster and trendy that is... then I realized how much doing business costs, cash registers ain't cheap if they have any sort of computer in them, and swiping credit cards? Geezus, thousands of dollars for a machine, taking a percentage of every transaction... meanwhile the square reader cost $10 and takes a similar percentage.

There's nearly a billion people using tablets and thousands of models out there, yet only one has a built-in stand. Makes sense.

Newsflash...70%-80% of all tablet users also own cell phones and PCs. We don't live in an either-or world (despite how often people like to pretend that we do.) This story is...yawn....

Back