2nd US College Now Offering 'League of Legends' Scholarship

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you remember a while back, we ran a story about the first university in the world to recognize League of Legends video game as a true sport. Adding to the recognition, the University offered actual scholarships to professional level gamers. Now, Robert Morris University is joined by another US University, the University of Pikeville located in Kentucky, as the second US university to offer scholarships to qualified gamers.

I suppose if this does turn into a larger movement, it had to start somewhere, but I think it’s too early to fully pass judgment on this experiment.

i think these are pretty dumb....

pro gamers get to be the best in the world because they play 10+ hours a day... a student doesn't have time for that

not to say sports like football or baseball don't get in way of college academics, but i think league is on another level

Hell i woudn't want to go to either of those schools for free, scholarship or not.:D

The bigger questions is what are the students who are paying full tuition going to do. Will they protest or just sit quietly? And what about all the taxpayers, since all schools are now either recipient of state funding or the ultimate destinations of government-backed student loans, what can we do to stop this nonsense?

You know, back in my day, if we wanted to learn how to master THE VIDEOGAMES....we bought this:
master.jpg

Is there Chess scholarships? I suppose if there is, then this is just right up that alley.

i support this, it allows students to do what they like and have a scholarship with a required GPA, this is better than not having this kind of support. Plus I really do think that video games develop intelligence in some people.

LoL is right up there with cheerleading as far as recognition of sports, in my book.

Back