Politician Revives Major Cyber Bill

HardOCP News

[H] News
Politicians sure don't want to let CISPA die, do they?

“The reason I’m putting bill in now is I want to keep the momentum going on what’s happening out there in the world,” Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger (D-Md.), told The Hill in an interview, referring to the recent Sony hack, which the FBI blamed on North Korea.

No, senator, you cannot irresponsibly pass a bill while riding on the opinions of reactionaries. The citizens who opposed this legislation when it was originally introduced will do so now without even batting an eye.

I would love it for just once, that congress (both the house and the senate) could actually read the legislation they write and want to pass. This isn't happening at all and that is the problem. If there were actual readings of the bills on the floors of both houses, I can almost assure you that people would be taking a much more serious look at the infringements of rights that are being legislated against them every day by government.

You know it used to be that one of the jobs of government was to protect the rights and liberties of its citizens. Now it's the complete reverse.

I would love it for just once, that congress (both the house and the senate) could actually read the legislation that is written for them and want to pass.

The lobbyists usually draft the bills, then get a senator that owes them a favor to put a name on it.

But yes, I do agree that the bills should have to be read out loud in chamber. It's not like they're doing anything productive. No riders allowed, make your own damn bill you bill-jacker.

I hate to say it, but I think the British Parliament might be less dysfunctional then our system. Ever seen that? They actually debate and get passionate about things.

I would love it for just once, that congress (both the house and the senate) could actually read the legislation they write and want to pass.

Now that is just crazy talk :D ... Next thing you will propose is that Congress shouldn't pass laws that they exempt themselves from :p

The lobbyists usually draft the bills, then get a senator that owes them a favor to put a name on it.

But yes, I do agree that the bills should have to be read out loud in chamber. It's not like they're doing anything productive. No riders allowed, make your own damn bill you bill-jacker.

I hate to say it, but I think the British Parliament might be less dysfunctional then our system. Ever seen that? They actually debate and get passionate about things.
And no one gets to leave, object or vote until the entire bill is read. And no speed readers that no one can intelligibly understand, either. Maybe requiring the bills to actually be read out loud would reduce all the pork that gets slid in nowadays.

Parliamentary debates can often be rather entertaining. Those politicians actually have heart and conviction of what they're talking about instead of just reciting talking points. I think it would also be a great idea if our House and Senate rooms were configured in such a way, where you actually have to look your political opponents in the face.

You're one cruel, demented sonuvabitch. Wasn't there just a thing about torture down there?

Either way, I like it!
The rules in the US Congress are so fucked up. There needs to be some balance :p.

Seriously...
I wish I was able to not work every other two weeks. Or show up/clock in and immediately leave and be able to say I did something today. Or have my decisions made for me by my benefactors...

I would love it for just once, that congress (both the house and the senate) could actually read the legislation they write and want to pass. This isn't happening at all and that is the problem. If there were actual readings of the bills on the floors of both houses, I can almost assure you that people would be taking a much more serious look at the infringements of rights that are being legislated against them every day by government.

You know it used to be that one of the jobs of government was to protect the rights and liberties of its citizens. Now it's the complete reverse.
I can think of one way to get them to read them:

There WILL be a quiz! It will be fill in the blank...you WILL be fined for every missed point below 100%. All pay will be withheld until end of testing of all involved is verified. That is all, have a nice day.

I'm allowed the occasional delusional fantasy aren't I?

What an idiot and from the communist state of Maryland..

You do realize that the bill was originally introduced by a Republican, and has passed in the House twice (thanks to overwhelming republican support), not passed in Senate, and Obama has said he would veto the bill if it came to his desk.

Its a terrible bill and takes freedom away from American's and is supported by the Republican party.

If its in the name of "security" its apparently okay for "Republicans" to steal freedom.

Washington is a cesspool.

I can think of one way to get them to read them:

There WILL be a quiz! It will be fill in the blank...you WILL be fined for every missed point below 100%. All pay will be withheld until end of testing of all involved is verified. That is all, have a nice day.

I'm allowed the occasional delusional fantasy aren't I?
Oooo, I like that even better. You can't vote on the bill unless you know exactly what is in it.

You do realize that the bill was originally introduced by a Republican, and has passed in the House twice (thanks to overwhelming republican support), not passed in Senate, and Obama has said he would veto the bill if it came to his desk.

Its a terrible bill and takes freedom away from American's and is supported by the Republican party.

If its in the name of "security" its apparently okay for "Republicans" to steal freedom.

Washington is a cesspool.
Indeed. Republican, Democrat... they're all the same.

Oooo, I like that even better. You can't vote on the bill unless you know exactly what is in it.

Indeed. Republican, Democrat... they're all the same.

But, but because it was introduced by a Democrat and has been previously carried by Republicans doesn't that mean we have bipartisan support? :rolleyes:

But, but because it was introduced by a Democrat and has been previously carried by Republicans doesn't that mean we have bipartisan support? :rolleyes:

The best bribes are the bribes that bribe both parties!

Also:

TERRORISM!

And no one gets to leave, object or vote until the entire bill is read. And no speed readers that no one can intelligibly understand, either. Maybe requiring the bills to actually be read out loud would reduce all the pork that gets slid in nowadays.

Parliamentary debates can often be rather entertaining. Those politicians actually have heart and conviction of what they're talking about instead of just reciting talking points. I think it would also be a great idea if our House and Senate rooms were configured in such a way, where you actually have to look your political opponents in the face.

I LIKE it.

The only modification i would make is that if they vote no, they get to leave. That effed up obamacare would never have passed if they had to listen and understand it. They'd have voted NO just to get out of there.

The best our current government can do is PASS NO MORE LAWS. Everything that comes out of Washington now is a steaming pile. Even the stuff that looks good at first glance has so many riders and other shit that nobody knows about tacked on, that you should not pass any of it.

Back