Adding Leap Second This Year Expected To Cause Internet Problems

HardOCP News

[H] News
Adding a leap second this summer is going to end the internet as we know it. Scientist are working around the clock to save the internet from self-destructing...and stuff.

Officials at the International Earth Rotation Service have announced that a leap second will be added to the year this summer to allow for syncing up atomic clock time with the Earth's rotational time. The announcement has made many Internet sites nervous, as adding leap seconds in the past has caused problems with services such as Foursquare, Reddit, Linkedln and Yelp—all reported incidents due to the sudden time discrepancy the last time a leap second was added back in 2012.

curious what it will do to various servers, domain controllers etc in the hospital world. i've seen dcs out of sync cause issues.

curious what it will do to various servers, domain controllers etc in the hospital world. i've seen dcs out of sync cause issues.

1 second difference shouldn't cause problems with servers unless they are that close to being too far off in the first place.

Most computers, in practice, are probably far more than 1 second off anyway. Even in cases where the time is regularly updated via internet time synchronization, I'd bet many are at least still one second off.

We had a leap second three years ago as well.

How Often Are Leap Seconds Added?
Did you notice? The last leap second was added at 23:59:60 UTC on June 30, 2012.

Since 1972, a total of 25 seconds have been added. This means that the Earth has slowed down 25 seconds compared to atomic time since then.

DC's/Kerberos by will work with an offset of up to 5 minutes by default. After that, authentication will start failing. 1 second should not matter at all.

ahh ok! cool thanks. i'm going by hearsay and dont even remember the conversation. should be good.

Back