Uber Faces Suspension In NYC For Noncompliance

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is to the point now where I should just make a template for Uber news that reads "Uber faces suspension in |_________| for noncompliance" and call it good.

Ride-sharing service Uber faces a limited suspension in New York City over allegedly failing to adhere to requests from the city's Taxi & Limousine Commission. Between the period of April and mid-September 2014, five of the six Uber bases failed to provide to the New York City Taxi & Limousine Commission any electronic trip data, legal documents allege.

I still don't understand how using an app to find a ride with a stranger is an issue. Seems to me that if I choose to take a ride with anyone on my own its my choice not government, taxi companies not anyone... and if I choose to pay a person for a lift that's my own choice. I really think all these regulations and over use of taxing is becoming ridiculous.

It keeps sounding like these taxi and limo cartels all over the world are forming an alliance to destroy Uber.

I still don't understand how using an app to find a ride with a stranger is an issue. Seems to me that if I choose to take a ride with anyone on my own its my choice not government, taxi companies not anyone... and if I choose to pay a person for a lift that's my own choice. I really think all these regulations and over use of taxing is becoming ridiculous.

I understand if it's free and the driver just happen to be going in the same direction. I've given free rides to complete strangers before. But if the driver needs to go out of their way for you and you need to pay for the ride, that's a taxi service. Why should uber be treated differently?

It's an issue for a similar reason that it's not legal (in most countries) for your neighbor to bottle and sell unpasteurized milk for consumption but it's legal to drink that same milk from your neighbor's cow when you go over there for breakfast.

There needs to be more accountability than just "user reviews." User reviews are shit (there is some seriously high-rated garbage on Amazon, for example), and there's no amount of 4-star reviews that will confer a commercial driver's license.

If all these taxi laws are really so pointless and unjust, why haven't you and yours risen up to fight them before now?

In this day and age many regulations are significantly more excessive that they were in the first place. The businesses along with the consumer can self regulate, because if they don't and they screw up the consumer will speak out and go elsewhere, and unlike in the past when it took months or years for bad things to become public, when consumers speak out today others will know immediately.

Than answer here is not more regulation, it is less regulation...for all taxi services. Everybofy wins, except maybe the taxi unions..

In this day and age many regulations are significantly more excessive that they were in the first place. The businesses along with the consumer can self regulate, because if they don't and they screw up the consumer will speak out and go elsewhere, and unlike in the past when it took months or years for bad things to become public, when consumers speak out today others will know immediately.
The problem with the taxi industry is not over-regulation it's that it's a legally enforced monopoly via medallions.

The problem with the taxi industry is not over-regulation it's that it's a legally enforced monopoly via medallions.

Agreed, and over regulation is often or even usually incited by big corporations and unions to give them an advantage, and your example is a perfect example.

I understand if it's free and the driver just happen to be going in the same direction. I've given free rides to complete strangers before. But if the driver needs to go out of their way for you and you need to pay for the ride, that's a taxi service. Why should uber be treated differently?

I sold a bicycle yesterday. Does that make me Wal-Mart and thus beholden to all of the regulations imposed on sales stores?

NYC has been about protecting wealth since the day it was founded.

Every taxi in NYC must display a taxi medallion which is riveted on the vehicle, those medallions are 1 million dollars each. A pair of medallions which are specific to handicapped accessible taxis just sold for 2.5 mil.

John Stossel, Taxi Innovation ( Uber)
http://youtu.be/kCIfJhwDaUw

John Stossel, Illegal Everything ( taxi medallion segment)
http://youtu.be/khQ6Ru1Bos4

It's an issue for a similar reason that it's not legal (in most countries) for your neighbor to bottle and sell unpasteurized milk for consumption but it's legal to drink that same milk from your neighbor's cow when you go over there for breakfast.

There needs to be more accountability than just "user reviews." User reviews are shit (there is some seriously high-rated garbage on Amazon, for example), and there's no amount of 4-star reviews that will confer a commercial driver's license.

If all these taxi laws are really so pointless and unjust, why haven't you and yours risen up to fight them before now?

Because I wasn't aware any of the laws/regulations existed before all this noise. I have only been in a cab a few times, but they were all dirty as shit and the car seemed like it could die at any time. Plus the drive drove like an asshole. I figured there were no major regulations if this is how they are allowed to operate....

Do you also regularly sell bikes to a point that it becomes a regular income. Apples versus oranges

Back