whats up with this dell ips?

dopple

Gawd
on a white background the right half of the monitor has a blue tint and image gets a touch dimmer.

on a black background the right side looks like it has backlight bleed going on cuz if i press the lcd panel slightly inwards it becomes darker.

however on a black background it also looks like ips glow cuz it shifts colors when i move around.

this is a new dell s2415h

http://imgur.com/Qh3EpkE,Q7EjQ8v

Last edited:
Hmm... The new BenQ BL3201PH is exhibiting the same issue using an AHVA panel. But the Dell uses an AH-IPS panel, if I'm not mistaken. It would be worrisome if this is what we can expect from IPS displays being released this year.

it defeats the whole purpose of IPS frankly. im thinking of getting a glossy 27" TN panel instead. i barely notice any difference from my TN panel anyway except for reds.

is this glow bleed and color shift the new norm for ips panels?

Uh, yes IPS glow is the norm on IPS monitors. Backlight bleed can afflict any monitor; dell's quality control is notoriously awful.

Your other issue is impossible to diagnose unless you provide some form of picture.

Uh, yes IPS glow is the norm on IPS monitors. Backlight bleed can afflict any monitor; dell's quality control is notoriously awful.

Your other issue is impossible to diagnose unless you provide some form of picture.

imageshack isnt letting me upload anything for some reason. where else can i upload pics.

thanks

http://imgur.com/Qh3EpkE,Q7EjQ8v

Original post updated with links too

Yeah, that's just glow and bleed.

Glow + bleed will be more apparent if you have the brightness cranked/if you use your monitor in the dark. Try setting a 60w or higher 5000-6500k light bulb behind your monitor or look into other forms of bias lighting. Alternatively, just return it; but, your new post in search of a glossy TN monitor will likely yield next to no results considering TN panels are seldom reviewed outside of gaming monitors. Plus a 1440p glossy PWM-free TN panel likely doesn't even exist.

If you're looking for recommendations then refer to NCX's massive posts highlighting the best 27" 1440p currently on the market.

Also make sure to check out the best reviewed A-MVA thread if you absolutely cannot deal with IPS glow.

Yeah, that's just glow and bleed.

Glow + bleed will be more apparent if you have the brightness cranked/if you use your monitor in the dark. Try setting a 60w or higher 5000-6500k light bulb behind your monitor or look into other forms of bias lighting. Alternatively, just return it; but, your new post in search of a glossy TN monitor will likely yield next to no results considering TN panels are seldom reviewed outside of gaming monitors. Plus a 1440p glossy PWM-free TN panel likely doesn't even exist.

If you're looking for recommendations then refer to NCX's massive posts highlighting the best 27" 1440p currently on the market.

Also make sure to check out the best reviewed A-MVA thread if you absolutely cannot deal with IPS glow.

but is this amount of glow and bleed normal?

but is this amount of glow and bleed normal?

I presume it is IPS glow, and it doesn't look abnormal. Try this, slowly lower your head while looking at the corner of the screen, does the glow get darker? If so, it is IPS glow. If it doesn't it is light bleed.

My new Samsung PLS monitor does this, however it stopped bothering me after a couple days.

I presume it is IPS glow, and it doesn't look abnormal. Try this, slowly lower your head while looking at the corner of the screen, does the glow get darker? If so, it is IPS glow. If it doesn't it is light bleed.

My new Samsung PLS monitor does this, however it stopped bothering me after a couple days.

it gets darker that's right. also when i press it in just a little it gets darker.

the bluish tint in the corner also reduces if i lower my head and look directly at the lower right corner.

it gets darker that's right. also when i press it in just a little it gets darker.

the bluish tint in the corner also reduces if i lower my head and look directly at the lower right corner.

Bottom right is glow, bottom left is looks like bleed; it's normal.

Some panels do, however, glow more than others. For example, my LG 27MB85R glows less head-on vs the AOC Q2770PQU and Eizo EV2736W, both of which suffered heavier than normal glow in the bottom left corner of the screen. There's also wide-gamut panels which glow more vs standard gamut panels, but that doesn't actually affect you at all, just thought I'd mention it. Backlight bleed can happen on any monitor, whether it's TN, IPS or VA.

Most IPS monitors do not exhibit any IPS glow when viewed head-on from a distance of 90cm.

Bottom right is glow, bottom left is looks like bleed; it's normal.

Some panels do, however, glow more than others. For example, my LG 27MB85R glows less head-on vs the AOC Q2770PQU and Eizo EV2736W, both of which suffered heavier than normal glow in the bottom left corner of the screen. There's also wide-gamut panels which glow more vs standard gamut panels, but that doesn't actually affect you at all, just thought I'd mention it. Backlight bleed can happen on any monitor, whether it's TN, IPS or VA.

Most IPS monitors do not exhibit any IPS glow when viewed head-on from a distance of 90cm.

i see.

the right side has glow/bleed when viewed head on would it be a good idea to go in for an RMA?

i see.

the right side has glow/bleed when viewed head on would it be a good idea to go in for an RMA?

You aren't going to have much luck getting a IPS or PLS panel without glow at their current price points. You might get lucky and get one, however your chances or getting a better or worse panel are probably even. I think you should just try it a few days and see if it still bothers you. I went through the exact same thing 6 weeks ago when I had to purchase a new monitor and it had some glow from the bottom right.

i see.

That's entirely up to you.

I have a strict no bleed/no dead pixels policy when I purchase a monitor, which is why I always buy from stores with no-hassle free exchange. I would guess, however, that the bleed on the bottom left is being exacerbated by camera exposure, and that it's probably not as bad in person; you tell me.

If you're willing to spend the money (judging by your other post) then I'd just look into 1440p IPS/VA alternatives.

Dell's quality control sucks, so be prepared to never receive any monitor without some degree of backlight bleed.

i see.

Why RMA? That's not so terrible glow when comparing to other displays:

MDUZfXr.jpg

You aren't going to have much luck getting a IPS or PLS panel without glow at their current price points. You might get lucky and get one, however your chances or getting a better or worse panel are probably even. I think you should just try it a few days and see if it still bothers you. I went through the exact same thing 6 weeks ago when I had to purchase a new monitor and it had some glow from the bottom right.

i was looking at some pricier monitors having these issues too like the u2713hm

i guess i have to make peace with the state of tech available.

Why RMA? That's not so terrible glow when comparing to other displays

While the gimmicky 21:9 curved and uncurved displays generally suffer from backlight bleed, that picture is extremely overexposed and misleading to some degree.

i was looking at some pricier monitors having these issues too like the u2713hm

i guess i have to make peace with the state of tech available.

Again, Dell has abnormally poor quality control.

While the gimmicky 21:9 curved and uncurved displays generally suffer from backlight bleed, that picture is extremely overexposed and misleading to some degree.

Again, Dell has abnormally poor quality control.

So, what kind of camera do you need to be able to take proper picture of glow/bleed?

If you're willing to spend the money (judging by your other post) then I'd just look into 1440p IPS/VA alternatives.

which other IPS monitor would you suggest? im assuming you have some other brand in mind.

So, what kind of camera do you need to be able to take proper picture of glow/bleed?

It's honestly pretty difficult to take bleed pictures with a phone camera (which I imagine most people use) because of how poorly they function in low light. I tried taking a backlight bleed/glow picture of my EV2736W way back where I basically kept a bias light on in the background and adjusted my camera ISO to 800: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041151295&postcount=263

It was alright, I guess.

which other IPS monitor would you suggest? im assuming you have some other brand in mind.

Refer to the list I linked earlier:
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...-27-monitors-2014-2560x1440-ahva-ips-pls.html

There's glossy, semi-glossy, PDC -- every coating imaginable on that list, with links to reviews.

I own and recommend the semi-glossy LG 27MB85R, which has a thread that can be found here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1811482

If you could get a VA/PVA without/minimal bleed, that would be the best then.

Last edited:
If you could get a VA/PVA without/minimal bleed, that would be the best then. ]

i have tried the s2440L that suffers from contrast shift and it uses the latest AMVA technology in VA .

The LG glows much less head-on vs every other IPS monitor I've used, which includes the Eizo EV2336W, Eizo EV2736W, and AOC Q2770PQU at 120 cd/m2 in a well-lit room with bias lighting.

I sit 88cm away from my monitor which renders it entirely glow-free, as most IPS monitors are from that distance.

if you could post some pics with black background that would be great.

You should see how bad my BENQ TN Z series with color shift =) I have to angle it to get deeper blacks otherwise the blacks are really grey.
You can't tell in games so all is good.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041322267&postcount=70

seeing the 4th pic. it seems to be the IPS tech itself and not have much to do with the price. issue is still present.

There is no noticeable head-on glow/bleed in that picture. Also, take into account that you may sit farther back with a larger screen, resulting in no or low-glow.

If you want a 100% glow-free IPS panel, then spend gratuitous amounts on an Eizo CX271, which uses either a glow-free PLS panel or an A-TW Polarizer.

protip: I owned one and returned it in favor of the LG

The only thing you'd be satisfied with is a CRT, so hopefully [H]'s resident troll rabidz7 shows up to tell you to buy an FW900.

There is no noticeable head-on glow/bleed in that picture. Also, take into account that you may sit farther back with a larger screen, resulting in no or low-glow.

If you want a 100% glow-free IPS panel, then spend gratuitous amounts on an Eizo CX271, which uses either a glow-free PLS panel or an A-TW Polarizer.

protip: I owned one and returned it in favor of the LG

The only thing you'd be satisfied with is a CRT, so hopefully [H]'s resident troll rabidz7 shows up to tell you to buy an FW900.

hahaha no CRT for me. ill be happy to achieve just normal glow/bleed - aka no headon glow/bleed. ill probably try an RMA because that wont cost me anything. lets see if that works.

You should see how bad my BENQ TN Z series with color shift =) I have to angle it to get deeper blacks otherwise the blacks are really grey.
You can't tell in games so all is good.

haha my TN is pretty good its giving this IPS some stiff competition but since it has PWM its not even in the race.

it defeats the whole purpose of IPS frankly. im thinking of getting a glossy 27" TN panel instead. i barely notice any difference from my TN panel anyway except for reds.

I'd recommend getting a 120hz samsung s23/27a750/950d from ebay. These are probably the best TN monitors that have ever seen the market. I'm pretty sure they blow out of the water the cheaper IPS as well in terms of color accuracy.
The gamma shift also isn't a problem with these.

I'd recommend getting a 120hz samsung s23/27a750/950d from ebay. These are probably the best TN monitors that have ever seen the market. I'm pretty sure they blow out of the water the cheaper IPS as well in terms of color accuracy.
The gamma shift also isn't a problem with these.

those are a bit old they arent flicker free. otherwise id keep using my current TN panel.

those are a bit old they arent flicker free. otherwise id keep using my current TN panel.

Yeah they use PWM, but other than that I'm not aware of any gaming tn monitors that are better than those.

Maybe asus swift with removed anti glare coating.:D

Back