Oklahoma Bill Targets Texting While Driving

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Oklahoma is one of the last remaining states in the US that have no definitive laws concerning driving while operating a handheld device. In plain terms, Senator Ron Sharp wants to make it a misdemeanor to use a mobile phone for anything while driving. To back up the law, the Senator would put some teeth in it by imposing a fine of $1000 and up to a year in jail. That should get Oklahoma’s drivers’ attention. :eek:

Using a cell phone to call or text while driving can be just as deadly as drunk driving, Sharp recently said. The danger is real. We see it every day, on city streets, highways and interstates.

Unfortunately it will never be enforced by itself... People will only ever are a charge when something else got the 50 on the scene.

This will be hard to enforce. I see so many stupid assholes playing with their phones will driving - scary. How many people have been killed by distracted driving now?
I remember one day seeing a guy steering with his knees while reading a newspaper - this was on a busy highway during rush hour. My all time favorite. (This was several years back - who reads newspapers any more :) )

We already have a law on the books that covers it. "Distracted Driving." Sort of a catch all for morons that want to watch movies, read the paper, put on their makeup, text, etc. while driving. We don't really need a new law. Though I would not mind active enforcement as a primary offense over the current, check your phone at the time of an accident to see if you were using it, or use it as a secondary add on offense like seat belts used to be.
"The operator of every vehicle, while driving, shall devote their full time and attention to such driving." "No law enforcement officer shall issue a citation under this section unless the law enforcement officer observes that the operator of the vehicle is involved in an accident or observes the operator of the vehicle driving in such a manner that poses an articulable danger to other persons on the roadway that is not otherwise specified in statute."

Oh, and in b4 the super humans that can drive, text, write a thesis on quantum theory, and cook a 5 course meal, all while driving better than the rest of us mere mortal peons.

Sounds better than what they did around here, where the fines start at $50... I mean most peoples cell phone plans cost more than that a month. Now I'm not saying have huge fines for the sake of trying to deter people from doing it, but come on.

Went into effect here in Austin 1/1/15. Personally I hate the concept, but the hundreds of idiots I see a day here seem to make this a requirement.

Also, it gives our local gestapo yet another reason to pull you over and then decide to give you a DWI.

I drive for a living. 7-9 hours on the road (delivery).

What I see people do behind the wheel of their automobiles is staggeringly ignorant and self absorbed. Too many people don't take the responsibility of driving seriously because it's not convenient to do so.

I must live in fantasy land, because I see a lot of drivers on their phones (talking, not texting) having no problem. The majority of the people I do see doing idiotic things are not using a phone.

Went into effect here in Austin 1/1/15. Personally I hate the concept, but the hundreds of idiots I see a day here seem to make this a requirement.

Also, it gives our local gestapo yet another reason to pull you over and then decide to give you a DWI.

If someone been drinking and a police officer pulls that person over for cell phone use, then finds that they were drinking and cites or arrests them for it, then that person deserved it and the police officer was just doing what they're supposed to do which is keeping roads clear of idiots that are intoxicated and shouldn't be driving. Impaired drivers kill lots of other people because they're irresponsible. No one should even be allowed to drink since it's pretty obvious that lots of people are too dumb to do it in a way that doesn't cause problems for those of us without the mental problem and addiction issues who are just trying to hang out with friends at a restaurant or buy a book from Barnes and Noble.

We already have a law on the books that covers it. "Distracted Driving." Sort of a catch all for morons that want to watch movies, read the paper, put on their makeup, text, etc. while driving. We don't really need a new law. Though I would not mind active enforcement as a primary offense over the current, check your phone at the time of an accident to see if you were using it, or use it as a secondary add on offense like seat belts used to be.

Oh, and in b4 the super humans that can drive, text, write a thesis on quantum theory, and cook a 5 course meal, all while driving better than the rest of us mere mortal peons.

Actually the bill still allows BlueTooth use, and I agree that a general distracted driving law is all that is required. The good part is that such a law would allow a driver to sit at a red light and read a text or make a fast reply and as long as they are done and moving when the light changes they would be good to go. If someone behind had to honk to get their attention then a cop would be able to legitimately ticket them for driving distracted. The same is true if you get a call or message and do a careful and quick check. If you then pull and park somewhere safe to reply your a smart guy, if you try to reply while moving you need that ticket and a kick in the ass.

Yes, because the researchers say distracted driving is just a dangerous as drunk driving so why do one or the other when I can do both at the same time and be the greatest menace on the road :p

Looks like the only people really even talking about this are the Insurance Companies. All the claims must be hurting their bottom line big time.

I must live in fantasy land, because I see a lot of drivers on their phones (talking, not texting) having no problem. The majority of the people I do see doing idiotic things are not using a phone.

It's not always that they are doing idiotic things, it's that it is distracting and delays response to other things. I learnt my lesson doing a 2 hour drive on highway, was on phone with wife. Wasn't speeding swerving or being an idiot but a group if deer ran out from side I was holding phone, if it wasn't for my phone I would of seen them in my peripheral in ditch instead of the lane beside me. Wasn't a major accident, only dented my fender as deer changed course and just bounced off but I learnt my lesson tht phone can make enough of a difference and to believe otherwise is ignorance.

""The operator of every vehicle, while driving, shall devote their full time and attention to such driving." "No law enforcement officer shall issue a citation under this section unless the law enforcement officer observes that the operator of the vehicle is involved in an accident or observes the operator of the vehicle driving in such a manner that poses an articulable danger to other persons on the roadway that is not otherwise specified in statute."

The fine for Distracted Driving is $100. If you have a temporary driver's license or learner's permit, you might lose those. (Source) That's it. Gee whiz, that's some mighty deterrent force there.

And, "No LEO shall issue a citation under this section unless they're in an accident or pose a danger to others" etc. Which means the $100 ticket doesn't even get written until somebody else already paid a steep price.

...states with primary-enforcement laws for texting, meaning an officer can pull over a driver for texting and driving, saw a 3% reduction in traffic fatalities across all age groups, or an average of 19 deaths per year. Texting bans had the greated impact on young drivers aged 15-21 years – an 11% reduction in deaths.

States with only secondary restrictions, where the driver must be stopped for a primary offense like speeding and not just for texting, did not see any significant reduction in fatalities.

http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2014/08/15/many-states-have-passed-texting-while-driving-laws

I assume it's a smart enough law to allow for cell-phone as navi?

In any case, I'd rather they punish 'crashing your car into other people and causing harm', instead of punishing personal behavior that in in no deterministic way causes harm to other people.

-scheherazade

The fine for Distracted Driving is $100. If you have a temporary driver's license or learner's permit, you might lose those. (Source) That's it. Gee whiz, that's some mighty deterrent force there.

And, "No LEO shall issue a citation under this section unless they're in an accident or pose a danger to others" etc. Which means the $100 ticket doesn't even get written until somebody else already paid a steep price.

http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2014/08/15/many-states-have-passed-texting-while-driving-laws

I thought I mentioned that I thought making it a primary offense, (one police can initiate a stop over), was a good idea. Trust me, I am not for texting while driving. I just am for not making new law, when tweaking an existing law would be adequate.
I look at this the same way I do hate crime laws, with incredulity.

So, a bluetooth sync'd android head unit would be OK to operate because it's not handheld?

How about a phone in a mount? GPS navigation?

Back