Google Strikes An Upbeat Note With FCC On Title II

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google, trying to look on the bright side of Title II, reminded the FCC that it would get access to utility poles which would be a big plus for Google Fiber.

In a letter Tuesday to the FCC, Google’s director of communications law Austin Schlick highlighted a potential positive for the company if Title II kicks in. As a regulated telecom service, Google Fiber would get access to utility poles and other essential infrastructure owned by utilities. The FCC should make sure this happens because it would promote competition and spur more investment and deployment of broadband internet service, Schlick argued.

No matter which way the FCC takes net neutrality, this should be implemented. Heck why not just implement it now...

My issue with requiring other companies be given access to the "last mile" is that the local providers are not given the option to cherry pick the most desirable areas as Google would be able too.

My issue with requiring other companies be given access to the "last mile" is that the local providers are not given the option to cherry pick the most desirable areas as Google would be able too.

The lazy incumbents do lots of that already, so nothing changes really.

I really don't get it.
The infrastructure google wants access to was most likely built using building permits based on each company's ILEC/PUC status, i.e. it was built for the public good and received special treatment and lower pricing as a result.
Google, get yourself a lawyer, pull the BPs and sue their asses. No need to reclassify anything.

Back