Samsung Smart TVs Will Play PS Games Next Year

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A new partnership between Sony and Samsung will be bringing you a Samsung TV that will be able to play PlayStation Games without the need of a console. Sound like a pipe dream? It’s for real and will be available sometime in the first half of 2015 according to a press release this week. It will be undoubtedly a work in progress for the foreseeable future, but at least Sony is willing to try new platforms for its gaming.

Now before you get carried away and start thinking you can buy a TV instead of a PS4, this is far from a full PlayStation experience: It’s PlayStation Now, which is still in open beta, and to put it lightly, it’s not a service many are recommending.

Not really surprising. TV's are not just TV's anymore, they are computing devices, and as such can do more than just display a video stream. This was kinda inevitable, and Sony is the first to catch the wave, so to speak. Nintendo and Microsoft are probably working on similar ideas, but the first one to the table usually get's the biggest portion.

Probably see TV's capable of playing all of the old video games natively at some point. Face it, early video games weren't demanding processor wise, so they'd be a good fit for modern TV's. It might mean a retro gaming resurgence, which in my mind isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of the early games had excellent gameplay, but shitty graphics. Would be nice to have a reboot, keeping the gameplay, but with better visuals and sound.

I won't be buying one.

All-in-ones are generally a bad idea.

Cost more to make, cost more to buy, and then if one part goes out, at the very least you have to buy a separate unit to replace the broken part. At the worst, a main component goes out and you have to replace the whole thing.

All-in-ones are generally make crappier than single purpose machines as well in order to reduce the price increase of it being an all-in-one.

Not really surprising. TV's are not just TV's anymore, they are computing devices, and as such can do more than just display a video stream.

it's funny because ps now is a just a video (game) streaming service. i have no doubt in my mind it's garbage if you're into games

I'd like to see them add native support streaming for the PS4. That would at least create a situation that may make someone purchase a Samsung TV over any or brand other than Sonys own lineup. Hell they could probably offload a ton of Vita inventory and just use the parts off those. It's not like those are selling very well as it is.

No thanks. Every "smart" TV I've encountered has never used an interface that doesn't feel like a sluggish, unresponsive mess. That, plus nearly half the services built-in become obsolete or useless within a year or two. Give me a dumb TV that can do at least 1080p @ 120Hz or higher plus a ChromeCast/FireTV Stick and I have something that's more capable and powerful than a "smart" TV for a while and for a fraction of the price.

i'm pretty sure this is just "PS NOW" support
that's streaming service for those who are not familiar
it plays PS3 games only for now

This is stupid, while I will give Samsung credit for being one of the best in the TV business for continued support the core problem remains the same. When said TV maker stops updating your TV you have $500 worth of junk electronics in it. A TV should be NOTHING more than a display / monitor and you should purchase an interface device for it separately. Think about it most of you here have probably spent untold thousands of wasted dollars on TVs throughout your life for garbage they include in the TV you never use or quickly became obsolete. Smart TVs are a waste and a sham. My VT60 is so loaded with crap I never touch its amazing. They might have stayed in business if they had not bogged the thing down with so much junk.

I am not just talking about HTPC users either, most homes I enter have some other device doing all the "smart" functions on a TV, a console, a roku, and HTPC, just about anything but the TV itself. And all of this is before you even get to the argument of the other parts breaking down.

And just in case any of you think this is a great idea think back to all those TVs with broken VCRs built in.

I still say that sony or MS needs to partner with themselves (in the case of Sony.) and or other receiver manufacturers to make more all in one systems. A high end receiver that can also play PS4 or Xbox1 (even both but yea right I'm not delusional) games. Full fledged. not half ass. But that's just me. I could be high on the funky dust.

I still say that sony or MS needs to partner with themselves (in the case of Sony.) and or other receiver manufacturers to make more all in one systems. A high end receiver that can also play PS4 or Xbox1 (even both but yea right I'm not delusional) games. Full fledged. not half ass. But that's just me. I could be high on the funky dust.

Ya I would say its just you, look out there honestly and ask how many people even buy receivers at all? One of the biggest problems with modern receivers is that people are getting pissed about how they have to buy a new one every 3 years because the electronics become outdated, ports change, smart phone controls, HDMI, 1.4, 2.0 etc..... meanwhile the expensive amp they paid for in that receiver is perfectly fine. A person who knows enough about audio to put a high end receiver in their house is not going to even blink at adding a gaming console into their entertainment center given the amount of space they are already consuming. If it was more common for amplifiers to ship separate and people just updated pre/pros and there was more standardization I might agree.

The very essence of a console comes down to one and only one core selling point. It is a cheap out the door gaming capable system. If Sony / MS start talking about adding $300+ in audio / video equipment they are going to raise that intro sucker price and kill their own market. The console market is almost entirely defined by the lowest entry price.

and plus the crazy heat receivers make, all around just not a good idea.

The worst part, in my mind, is that you cannot *buy* a game on Now. You can only rent them.

Back