Experts: FCC Will Adopt Net Neutrality Rules In Early 2015

HardOCP News

[H] News
Experts are saying that the FCC may adopt net neutrality rules next year. The question is, will they be meaningful rules that actually do something?

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission will adopt net neutrality rules in early 2015, maybe as soon as February, several observers believe, but few people want to predict what those rules will look like.

I hope it's not the same BS labelled "Net neutrality" like last time Wheeler shilled something like that up.

Ya politicians are really good when something is unpalatable change meaning keeping name people think they got somewhere

By the time they're done Net Neutrality will have to do with the chemical inertness of fishing nets.

And less experts are expecting Comcast & AT&T to fight tooth and nail challenging whatever the decision is in court.... kind of like how they already did.

Like most laws, this will be drafted by educated men with college degrees who are skilled enough at the English language to structure the most nuanced and vague wording possible, in order to grant the corporations, courts, and enforcement agencies maximum latitude to fuck the people up the ass.

No packet prioritizing or discrimination. All packets go through in order of receipt. No "shaping" allowed. That is true net neutrality. That is not what we will get. They might get something close enough sounding without actually being in any way meaningful.

How close they get to true net neutrality will be the deciding factor in how much the ISPs claim the end of the world, and sue.

For those interested in reading the proposed FCC rules, here you go. The cynicisn is understandable and predicable but it's altogether pointless. We have one shot at saving the internet and it's via common carrier utility protection and regulation.

Can't wait to see what kind of riders they put on this one. Going to make "net neutrality" the equivalent of lighting farts.

For those interested in reading the proposed FCC rules, here you go. The cynicisn is understandable and predicable but it's altogether pointless. We have one shot at saving the internet and it's via common carrier utility protection and regulation.

and 200 pages of writing to basically say "you don't get to give preference to data nor slow down other data"

and 200 pages of writing to basically say "you don't get to give preference to data nor slow down other data"
From what I've read they've been tweaking these rules for over two years, in anticipation of legal attacks from everyone from ISPs to other parts of our own government (NSA etc). IMO many of today's revenue generators (user tracking and other privacy violations etc) will shortly be considered historical abominations.

I hope this article is correct because next year it will finally become apparent (to those still laboring under the "nn is good" delusion) that "network neutrality" is nothing but a giant political football put together by politicians in order to get votes in upcoming elections--full of sound & fury and signifying absolutely nothing. (Except higher taxes, more regulatory fees, and slower all-around connection speeds.) If you think the government is going to bless a free and open Internet you couldn't be more wrong. What Congress and the bureaucrats actually want is the regulatory leverage to control the Internet--and so-called net-neutrality "rules" will help get them where they ultimately want to be. Of course, it won't happen without a lot of mentally slothful citizens supporting their government even as it works to take away still more of their Constitutional rights and commercial choices through the neo faux-competition that would seem to emerge. (This is a cynical take, I know, but true.)

It's all just word play, packing anything they want under a label, I'm not hopeful this will truely be "neutrality" as the name implies.

They need to go full common carrier on the Telco's asses and, even better, mandate line sharing if there's hope to fix this mess. The alternative is to hope for small ISPs and municipalities to save the day against all odds - ie against the shills in each state pushing laws outlawing infratructure development if it's not done by the regional monopoly.

Not expecting much, but hoping for it just so I don't ruin my nice dinner.

Jeez. I'll wait for the executive summary :)

Jeez. I'll wait for the executive summary :)
See post #10 in this thread.

To WaltC, the protections being considered for the internet are the same ones (Title I/II) that have served our other utilities (landline phone network etc) well for 80 years. Or maybe you can tell us when the last time any American citizen was required to listen to commercials before dialing a telephone or mailing a package.

History has proven that only one entity is able to effectively defend our Constitution and the public interest against the corporate profit motive, and it is our government. As Comcast begins forcibly modifying headers on our private email, refusing encrypted traffic on their networks and the dozen other complaints described in great detail by our FCC, at what point do some people wake up to what is happening to the internet in our country, in absence of any legal protection? The simple fact is, it has become the world's most essential common carrier utility. It not only should be protected as such, there is no other eventuality.

Experts: FCC Will Adopt Net Neutrality Rules In Early 2015

Translated....

Experts: FCC Will Adopt Net Neutrality Rules In Early 2015 that hand over the internet lock, stock and barrel to the megacorps who will then raise prices to the point where only the rich can afford the internet.

Thats what I honestly expect to happen anyway. :(

What the FCC appears to be trying for is something close to actual net neutrality.
As such, it will be defeated in court, or watered down to near meaninglessness, or simply not be enforced..

Back