ISP Offering 10Gbps Connections In Minneapolis

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a company in Minnesota offering 10Gbps service to residents in parts of Minneapolis. Get this, they already offer 1Gbps service for only $65 a month. :eek:

The Minnetonka firm that offers fiber-optic service to about 30,000 households in southwest Minneapolis announced Tuesday that it will use that network to offer 10-gigabit-per-pecond Internet speed, which is among the fastest Internet service available today. That’s 400 times faster than the average download speed in Minnesota, 25 megabits per second, according to Ookla, an Internet diagnostic firm.

Probably has a 200GB bandwidth cap.

Briefly looked over their plans and seen no mention of data caps. They offer a wide range of speeds though. From 25Mbps up to the now 10Gbps connection.

My ISP just started offering 1Gbps connection speeds as well, but it's $70 a month plus fees/taxes. I think it ends up being right around $75 a month. Right now I am paying $44 a month for an 80/30Mbps fiber connection. Most things I use can't even utilize the full speed so I'm a little hesitant on paying almost double the price for speeds I might not even be able to utilize.

Yeah I looked at their map they are going block by block and its in a limited area...very limited.

Briefly looked over their plans and seen no mention of data caps. They offer a wide range of speeds though. From 25Mbps up to the now 10Gbps connection.

My ISP just started offering 1Gbps connection speeds as well, but it's $70 a month plus fees/taxes. I think it ends up being right around $75 a month. Right now I am paying $44 a month for an 80/30Mbps fiber connection. Most things I use can't even utilize the full speed so I'm a little hesitant on paying almost double the price for speeds I might not even be able to utilize.
Damn. That's a steal. I live in the bay area where AT&T pulled out a couple of years ago an now I have a choice between comcast and no one. I'm at 75 a month for 50/6.

Damn. That's a steal. I live in the bay area where AT&T pulled out a couple of years ago an now I have a choice between comcast and no one. I'm at 75 a month for 50/6.

My only gripe about the 1Gbps connection is the upload is only 30Mbps. :eek:

I wouldn't say AT&T pulled out, they've just been roadblocked by the city to put in their little boxes for Uverse service... at least in San Francisco. Those boxes go in, then look towards Sonic.net with VDSL2 access, yeah it's not fiber but for $40/month with a phone line AND you don't have to be a Comcast customer sounds like a sweet deal... of course there is the roadblock that is city approval (regardless of the city you live in).

That said, still wouldn't live in Minneapolis for 10Gbps a month.

You'll need one helluva hard drive to sustain those speeds.

My NAS could handle that, barely .__. and here I thought that I was being high-speed by preparing for an upcoming Google Fiber rollout.

Making that 1gbps line look like nothing ._.

this is a strange product, imo. completely useless for 99.99% of consumers, and any business with a need for it in their service area would already have it (with added SLA). probably not costing them anything extra, so fuck it, free exposure.

def cool though. i only have (heh) gigabit at my home, and the bottleneck is the rest of the internet, unless you're doing something with many concurrent connections (bit torrent).

It's so great knowing that I will be stuck paying $55 a month for 6 megabit DSL for probably the next 20 years. After that I might be able to get 10 megabit.

*sigh*, I guess I will have to take one for the team and live there then. 800-1000 MB/sec downloads? Someone has to live with that shit.

Go for it dude, I couldn't handle the cold. I mean hell I'll get in the car and drive a few hours to go snowboarding over a weekend, doesn't mean I want to live with it months out of the year :D

Probably has a 200GB bandwidth cap.

We're not talking comcast or other regional monopolies here, those caps are a profit vehicle, such anti-consumer measures are easy when you have the market locked to yourself.

Anyway, this speed is not really meant for the typical consumer, the price also reflects it: $400/month.

The more impressive options they offer are their 100mbps service for $45/month.

Where I live the option I have is 15mbps for $70 under Comcast's monopoly. Pretty sad.

i recently unshackled myself from att 3mbps and move to charter 60mbps, and this is already more speed than i know what to do with. sheesh

i recently unshackled myself from att 3mbps and move to charter 60mbps, and this is already more speed than i know what to do with. sheesh

You can never have enough bandwidth, especially with more games coming out digitally (e.g. Steam) and requiring 20+ GB to download.

$400 a month, even if I lived there I still wouldn't have it. Though they have some fdamn good prices on their other plans.

$400 a month, even if I lived there I still wouldn't have it. Though they have some fdamn good prices on their other plans.

Same. But I would for sure have their 1Gbps plan without a doubt. $65 and I am in.

My NAS could handle that, barely .__. and here I thought that I was being high-speed by preparing for an upcoming Google Fiber rollout.

Making that 1gbps line look like nothing ._.

What about your network infrastructure, i.e Cat6a? Cat 6 can do 10Gbps in short runs so maybe it wouldn't be an issue depending on your layout.

What about your network infrastructure, i.e Cat6a? Cat 6 can do 10Gbps in short runs so maybe it wouldn't be an issue depending on your layout.

My NAS has a 10gbps fiber card going to a X448 Brocade Switch, which has two 10gbps ports on it. So the only real issue would be setting up a router at a sane pricepoint :D

Right now I am paying $44 a month for an 80/30Mbps fiber connection.

Jealousy... I pay $41 for a 15/1 cable connection. Granted, I don't live in a city an never will so I'm fine with what I have (After coming from DSL).

I'm jelly - best I can get is 50 here. I think that would cost about $80 - Time Warner is the supplier. I could also get Cincinnati Bell "fiber". I've not had the best luck with them, so have stuck with TWC as a result.

mfw

more than 50% of people who get this service are running wireless 802.11n in their homes

My NAS has a 10gbps fiber card going to a X448 Brocade Switch, which has two 10gbps ports on it. So the only real issue would be setting up a router at a sane pricepoint :D

Exactly what I was thinking. You're going to spend a few thousand just in switching for a few devices and 10 (used!) grand for a router actually capable of 10Gbps of NAT.

200/200 is fast enough for me at this point - aside from speedtest.net I struggle to saturate my link. If the connection was shared with other people though I'd probably want gigabit.

Wow, $44 a month for 80/30? I'd be real happy with that.

It's $62 a month for 50/5 where I live, and that's only that fast because they just doubled the speed a couple months ago (same price as before). I'm expecting the usual annual price increase in a couple months. Will likely be increased to $65/month.

My response to that will be to drop my phone service with them and cut my cable TV to their basic package (I'd drop cable completely but we get nothing over the broadcast channels due to our location)

Really need some ISP competition around here.

I live in the Minneapolis area. The US Internet fiber service is available to 30,000 customers at most right now. It maybe covers 25% of the area of the city of Minneapolis.

The local paper published a picture of a cabinet of equipment at US Internet. None of the equipment pictured would be able to do even 1 gigabit. I assume they have other equipment that is much faster.

You saw that picture in the Strib too? I thought it was kind of funny. Of course something like 90% of the readers would never catch that. Unfortunately I am stuck with Comast at 50/15 for $75. CenturyLink keeps stopping by selling their "upgraded" fiber service. When I ask if it's fiber to my house they say no, just fiber to the CO. Well no sh!t. Then they proceed to give me we can get you up to 5/1 here for only $29 a month. That is usually when I close the door.

No idea if it'd work, but what about a 16GB RAM drive for a buffer. As you're downloading it, throw it into the RAM drive and transfer it from there to the SSD drive. It's keep up with it for a while.

I wonder if that could be the next step for storage/networking. Large RAM drives to act as the middleman for the HDD.

Jealousy... I pay $41 for a 15/1 cable connection. Granted, I don't live in a city an never will so I'm fine with what I have (After coming from DSL).

More jealously... I pay $45 for 3/1. After being limited to 1.5 for years, I finally got the "upgrade" about 2 years ago. After I recently talked to the head engineer in my area, I was told that there were currently 0 plans to increase the speed in my area, even during the next 3-5 years. :mad:

Guess who's going to put the house on the market soon?

Not only a fast hard drive setup, but a decent 10GB ethernet card. AFAIK, there isn't any consumer level motherboards with 10GB LAN adapters on board. Some server/workstation boards have them.

Too many people thinking 1 PC is going to need to be upgraded to take advantage of this.... I'm not seeing it. Hopefully, a household with several PC's, laptops, tablets, phones, Roku (or others similar device), maybe a server or two... Streaming, uploading, downloading for backups, web, email, possible web site hosting, cloud storage/backup... I'm sure a few of us (not me) could take advantage of a connection like that with some of the home labs we run.

Besides, 10Gbps now, even if the majority of people can't use it, the infrastructure is there. If 10 years from now 10Gpbs is the norm, they had it first. A few months ago, there were people complaining that 1Gbps is too much for people. Even 100Mb was too much. I say bring it. Bring it all. We may not be able to use it all right now, but having the ability to if we need/want to without waiting on a slow ISP (we all know about that) to upgrade their shit would be great.

Too many people thinking 1 PC is going to need to be upgraded to take advantage of this.... I'm not seeing it. Hopefully, a household with several PC's, laptops, tablets, phones, Roku (or others similar device), maybe a server or two... Streaming, uploading, downloading for backups, web, email, possible web site hosting, cloud storage/backup... I'm sure a few of us (not me) could take advantage of a connection like that with some of the home labs we run.

Besides, 10Gbps now, even if the majority of people can't use it, the infrastructure is there. If 10 years from now 10Gpbs is the norm, they had it first. A few months ago, there were people complaining that 1Gbps is too much for people. Even 100Mb was too much. I say bring it. Bring it all. We may not be able to use it all right now, but having the ability to if we need/want to without waiting on a slow ISP (we all know about that) to upgrade their shit would be great.

With ethernet adapter limits without an upgrade, you would need a minimum of 10 devices all using 1 Gb/s of bandwidth. The more of those devices are on wireless and/or visiting sites that can't supply 1 Gb/s of bandwidth, and that count of devices starts skyrocketing to even begin to saturate that connection.

That's all assuming consumer level use. With businesses, that 10Gb/s connection could easily be saturated.

Back