Blizzard: Olympics Should Include Esports

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who thinks Esports should be included in the Olympics?

"There's a very good argument for e-sports being in the Olympics," says the company's Chief Creative Officer. "I think the way that you look at e-sports is that it's a very competitive skillset and you look at these professional gamers and the reflexes are lightning quick and their having to make very quick decisions on the fly. When you look at their 'actions per minute', they're clearing over 300."

This is the single dumbest thing that a Blizzard employee has ever said. Why not have an Olympic typing champion also?

E-sport is called as such for a reason. It's a different kind of professional competition.

Here's the thing, (you know, other than having to actually be athletic) you can tune into an Olympic sport and immediately know what is going on. He has to throw a discus further than that guy, she needs to lift more weight than that other girl. Walk into a game of StarCraft and the average Joe is like "Umm, what the who needs to Zerg the raid party?"

It just doesn't appeal to the average Joe.

The Olympics are about exhibiting physical prowess. What is it about pressing keys and moving a mouse millimetres around that makes it worthy for such a competition?

well if we're going to add esports to the olympics why not add go fish, monopoly, tiddly winks, oh and maybe hopscotch!

shut up blizzard. your games are crap now.

:confused: There are events at the Olympics that, outside of the four year cycle of the Olympics, a majority of people don't pay attention to. Anyone care about figure skating, gymnastics, swimming, or track & field outside of the Olympics?

The Olympics is about athletics. In no way, shape or form are the people who participate in e-sports athletes. It's the same argument for poker being an Olympic event.

Here's the thing, (you know, other than having to actually be athletic) you can tune into an Olympic sport and immediately know what is going on. He has to throw a discus further than that guy, she needs to lift more weight than that other girl. Walk into a game of StarCraft and the average Joe is like "Umm, what the who needs to Zerg the raid party?"

It just doesn't appeal to the average Joe.

Dressage?

There is literally an Olympics for retards... if they can have that, then they should have an eOlympics, cmon.

Might as well call channel surfing a sport. If you want to have gaming competitions, fine, but please stop trying to kid yourself that it is a sport.

no no no. as a fat gamer i say no. esports should have their own esports lol.

this is the same company that took away pvp arenas from diablo 3 saying they dont want d3 to be an esport.

however i love heroes of the storm!

e-sports in the Olympics? You mean yet another reason to *not* watch the Olympics? Sure... I suppose.

e-Sports *snerk* don't belong in the Olympics. I mean yeah, there are people who get sweaty and probably smell bad doing Olympic things, but that's becasue they're atheletic and have that fungus junk between their toes and not because they're unwashed stinky people who are only seeing sunlight for the first time in five months.

The olympics do not include chess because "mind sports, by their nature, cannot be part of the program". Steven freaking Hawking can play chess.

Lmao, i didnt know everyone in the special olympics were retarded...,moron

Anyway, blizzard has money. They should host an esports olympics themselves. I mean..charging people to WATCH blizzcon....cmon now, money in the pocket like woah.

Pool and darts are not Olympic sports
If they ain't in, unlikely to see a video game

No, and let's stop calling it E-Sports already. That's totally asinine, what's wrong with "professional gaming". E- things are out already and sports involve physical exertion. Might as well just add baking as an olympic sport called "Oven-Sports".

There is very good reasons to just shut down the olympics altogether. Adding events to something so far removed from it's original idea and now so corrupt is just adding to the increasing detriment of the whole organization. And esports in particular would just totally remove any credibility it has left.

I'm all for gaming and promoting gaming but esports in the Olympics? Uhm, no thank you.
The event has enough issues with it as it is, unfortunately, but that is another topic and discussion alltogether.

The Olympics are about exhibiting physical prowess. What is it about pressing keys and moving a mouse millimetres around that makes it worthy for such a competition?

I vote we remove any of the shooting competitions out of the olympics, too.

How about we just organize an eSports version of the Olympics, rather than diluting the already bloated system in place?

How about we just organize an eSports version of the Olympics, rather than diluting the already bloated system in place?
And abandon Greek mythology?

You Atheists are really starting to piss me off. May Zues cast a lightning bolt upon thine sphincter.

Back