The Top 10 Video Games Of The Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
You have to admit, with as many broken, botched and buggy games that came out this year, it had to be pretty damn hard to come up with this top 10 list. :D

Games such as "Titanfall" and "Watchdogs" captured fans' imaginations and offered a glimpse of what the next level of games would look like. Unfortunately, those hyped titles fell short of their lofty promises or had bugs that ruined the experience. But that doesn't mean it was a horrible year. There were a few surprises, some refreshing new properties and older franchises finding new life.

The verticality and cooperative gameplay bring fresh ideas along with a memorable villain and a sense of exploration.

If the gameplay isn't broken, don't fix it.

But what separates this title from others this year is the physics engine, which makes driving fun.

I am convinced that this reporter plagiarized from a 13-year-old's blog.

Wow, not interested in any of those games.

Thank goodness for my huge catalog of games to keep me busy till something does.

its been a crappy year for games. alien isolation was the only game i enjoyed out of that bunch and i recognize that it isn't going to appeal to everyone. its great for what it is - if you're looking for that type of game,

Have had fun with Alien Isolation, Stick of Truth, and FC4 so far, although I have such a backlog that I have literally just now gotten into Starcraft II which I have owned forever now... although luckily got them both for $30 so wasn't too painful.

Need to get into Planetside2, Mechwarrior Online, and Titanfall which I have installed but haven't bothered to play.

Hopefully I don't get distracted by Elite Dangerous, luckily the no-trial period and $60 entry price has kept me from installing it.

hmm, personal opinion warning :)

FC4 should be removed, why not put 3.
Middle Earth i agree with
south park - i havnt played but heard good things about so should probably be on the list.
Bayonetta 2 - played the first hated it, and this is meant to equate to a dlc worth, so should be removed.
Dark souls 2 - hmm ok
sunset overdrive - kidding right?
dragon Age - enjoyed the first never got round to the others so i can see this being good.

personally would have an indie title in there like Antichamber which is original and interesting, probably Saints Row..Metro Last light redux (not sure that would count) ... struggling now, this year really has been rubbish for good games.

The link went to Mercury News. I don't go to Mercury News for video game reviews. Perhaps [H] should come up with their own Top 10 Video Games for Video card reviews list.

must be a shitty year for gaming when dark souls 2 (a huge let down) makes top 10 games of the year

Dragon Age Inquisition deserves its top spot. Best game I have played since Skyrim.

We need a slew of new Star Wars games especially a modern flight sim.

DA3 looks promising but from what I read it still falls short of the first, Origins.

We need a slew of new Star Wars games especially a modern flight sim.

DA3 looks promising but from what I read it still falls short of the first, Origins.

I simply don't understand how any serious RPG fan can compare DAO to DAI. Night and day. DAI is s fantastic game and you are missing out if you just read about instead of playing it.

Wow, that list was original and surprising :rolleyes:. It looks like the author copied a press copy verbatim in describing all of those games.

For me, 2014 is the year that gaming died.

With all the shovel ware being released and the utter disdain developers/publishers have for the gaming public, putting greedy cash grabs ahead of producing a quality product, my love for gaming has finally shriveled up and died.

I just now browse the net, read crappy review after crappy review and wonder why I bothered getting into gaming in the first place.

So, what to fill the empty hole left inside? Alcohol? Illicit drugs? A .45 Caliber slug to the head? If you opted for "C", at least be man enough to drive over to my place to pull the trigger.

With all the shovel ware being released and the utter disdain developers/publishers have for the gaming public, putting greedy cash grabs ahead of producing a quality product, my love for gaming has finally shriveled up and died.

I just now browse the net, read crappy review after crappy review and wonder why I bothered getting into gaming in the first place.

So, what to fill the empty hole left inside? Alcohol? Illicit drugs? A .45 Caliber slug to the head? If you opted for "C", at least be man enough to drive over to my place to pull the trigger.

Yeah ok. See you next year.

For it's early winter sale, Steam alone had over 5500 games on sale. If you can't find a game you like, it's either your own damn fault or you don't actually like gaming.

funny-quote-south-park-south-park-ass-favim-com-293657.gif

It's like these idiots pick random games and throw them into their top 10.

Bayonetta? Seriously? No This wasn't even a good IP to begin with..the only redeeming quality it had was that her attacks made her progressively more nude in the first one. Nintendo takes that away and it becomes painfully obvious how shitty the game really is. Glad I bought neither.

Sunset? Decent but top 10? Nah

Forza..no

Middle Earth..NO

DS2 Hell no..

2014 shit for gaming??? I will admit the AAA titles have been mostly disappointing (excepting Dragon Age 3 and Alien Isolation - i've heard Mordor is good as well, but I do not have that one). This year also brought us Age of Wonders III and Legend of Grimrock II, both excellent if smaller scale releases.

video gaming best-of lists are usually relevant to me two years later when I buy the games for $5. i'm not much of an online player, so it works fine for me.

Salt should be on here.

And a heavy +1 for South Park. Absolute Parker and Stone brilliance.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter deserves a place on every Top 10 list this year

I didn't hear about that game until after release and I saw some screen shots. Bought it. Damn, it's an awesome game. Hard (supposed to be), but looks great and is fun to play.

Probably the reason it didn't make the top 10 - difficulty and they don't hold your hand. It's what I like, but it's also not a face paced or has a linear plot. Great game.

personally would have an indie title in there like Antichamber which is original and interesting

Much love for Antichamber. I enjoyed every minute of that experience. Even after multiple runs I still feel like there is more to be discovered.

It wasn't a good year. I decided to reinstall Skyrim and throw as many mods as I can. If feels like a totally different game now. And of course, I have to put as many slutty woman mods as I could find.

My character in Skyrim looks like this.
h71307FEC

must be a shitty year for gaming when dark souls 2 (a huge let down) makes top 10 games of the year

How was it a huge let down? I played that to death. Only complaint was that PvP lag makes it broken, and invading is broken.

Probably the reason it didn't make the top 10 - difficulty and they don't hold your hand.
Nah, it's because most "top whatever" games lists by the gaming press are really "top games with a marketing budget of $50 million or more"

Nah, it's because most "top whatever" games lists by the gaming press are really "top games with a marketing budget of $50 million or more"

Ah. True. Marketing wasn't well on this one, but once I got wind of it, it was a must buy. Very pleased with my purchase, too.

Much love for Antichamber. I enjoyed every minute of that experience. Even after multiple runs I still feel like there is more to be discovered.

pro tip, when you get to the bit when your at the other side of the starting area, look through the glass at the map and you can see faint outlines of all the secret rooms, ive got one left to find, the others had artwork, and different gun models used during testing.

I simply don't understand how any serious RPG fan can compare DAO to DAI. Night and day. DAI is s fantastic game and you are missing out if you just read about instead of playing it.

DOA might seem a bit dated but it's a classic with real time RPG style.
The big bitch is the new attack system is not quite as straight forward.
I am sure the story is good and I will probably get it and play it once the kinks are worked out.

DA:I is closer to DA:O than DA2 was, but imho DA:O is still the better RPG.

I've logged probably 20+ playthroughs of DA:O, and yet I'm struggling to find enough in DA:I to keep me playing it.

Everyone likes different things of course, but a lot of people still seem to think DA:O remains the best of the series, myself included.

pro tip, when you get to the bit when your at the other side of the starting area, look through the glass at the map and you can see faint outlines of all the secret rooms, ive got one left to find, the others had artwork, and different gun models used during testing.

Thanks for the tip!

It wasn't a good year. I decided to reinstall Skyrim and throw as many mods as I can. If feels like a totally different game now. And of course, I have to put as many slutty woman mods as I could find.

My character in Skyrim looks like this.
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8401812480/h71307FEC/
Hah, I did the same to Elder Scrolls with the total transformation pack, and yup totally new game. Was waiting for a all-in-one pack like that for Skyrim to make it easier to install, but I see the mod community has been hard at work nevertheless.

Back