Google Wants Auto Industry Help For Self-Driving Cars

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hopefully a car manufacturer steps up to help Google make self-driving cars. Seriously, no one wants to see any more of those ugly ass Google made cars. ;)

The Mountain View, Calif.-based company is on the hunt for partners within the car manufacturing industry. Rather than become a car maker itself, the tech giant would prefer to work with others to bring self-driving cars to market.

Without the slightest hint of sarcasm or ridicule, I think it's safe to say that before the states put self-driving cars on public roads they'll be issuing driver's licenses to illegal aliens who can't spell (or speak) "English," and other semi-intelligent drivers like family dogs, cats, and--why not?--even gerbils, maybe. Any of them would certainly do a better and safer job of it than the self-driving car, which in truth is deaf, blind as a bat, and dumb as a post.

Seriously, how safe can a driver be on American highways if he cannot read our English road signs--you know, like "Stop," and "Yield for pedestrians!", etc. ad infinitum? Google is really hilarious with its publicity stunts. Thankfully, many of them are losing steam and falling out of favor at present. The only public highways where self-driving cars are destined to drive is on those present in the nightmares of Google executives....:D

Come on, Elon Musk. It's okay to take a shortcut by working with Google. Tesla doesn't have to keep all of its R&D in-house.

Come on, Elon Musk. It's okay to take a shortcut by working with Google. Tesla doesn't have to keep all of its R&D in-house.
They want widespread adoption, not 1% adoption.

And Elon fears the robots.

I'm awaiting the day when automatic cars are the default and anyone who drives an "manual" (a car with a manual steering wheel & automatic transmission) is disowned as "old school".

This has already happened with actual manual transmission cars in the US. The vast majority (of the US) can't drive them and they are considered outdated, even by many enthusiasts. I expect the same to happen with auto-trans cars in the next 50-100 years.

Without the slightest hint of sarcasm or ridicule, I think it's safe to say that before the states put self-driving cars on public roads they'll be issuing driver's licenses to illegal aliens who can't spell (or speak) "English,"
1) They already do
2) Even if they don't, someone from another country can drive with that country's issued driving license as long as they aren't a permanent resident of the US
3) You can get drivers license tests in languages other than English... guess what that implies. Also why do you think all signs that want to get your attention are red, and they tend to use symbols instead of words to help alert you (i.e. a picture of a squiggly line for a winding road).

and other semi-intelligent drivers like family dogs, cats, and--why not?--even gerbils, maybe. Any of them would certainly do a better and safer job of it than the self-driving car, which in truth is deaf, blind as a bat, and dumb as a post.
And here's where you go off the deep end. Seriously, comparing an illegal alien to an animal? You even reef to them as "semi-intelligent" when making your comparison, I mean if you're going to stick by your guns and say robo-cars = bad I can dig that, but do you really need to sound like a bigot and insult anyone who's not you along the way?

I'm awaiting the day when automatic cars are the default and anyone who drives an "manual" (a car with a manual steering wheel & automatic transmission) is disowned as "old school".
I wouldn't say disowned, but times change. Remember the first flights? No of course you don't, you're still alive, but people used to fly themselves somewhere. Then they allowed someone else to fly them. And while you might argue it's still a person flying, there is a lot of "auto-pilot" being done, and regardless of the fact you're not doing it yourself. If you ever been to a large urban city, look at how many people get around via taxi, bus, train, subway, and it's not simply because those people simply do not want to learn how to drive, it's just more convenient to not drive yourself.

This has already happened with actual manual transmission cars in the US. The vast majority (of the US) can't drive them and they are considered outdated, even by many enthusiasts. I expect the same to happen with auto-trans cars in the next 50-100 years.
And we no longer have to crank start cars either
And we no longer have to put on goggles to drive
And we no longer have to have muscles to make turns
And we no longer have to push really hard to brake fast
And we're getting close to not having to parallel park anymore.

Change happens, whether we want it to or not, but more importantly those who drive manual transmission cars today aren't exactly "old school" either ;)

I'd like to see self-driving cars. It can't be worse than people driving cars!
Imagine if the solved the problem of distracted driving, DUIs, etc.
I'm sure there might be new problems associated with this...

That'd be good. With Elmo Munk's help, Google data centers will burst into flames when plugged into an outlet or after a crash just like all the cars and rockets Elmo's companies are involved in making.

Google’s Self-driving car is ready for the roads. The Internet giant on Monday unveiled the first finished prototype of its Self-driving car. The car looks similar to the model Google first revealed in May, though this one is fully functional.

I think a car that can both self-drive AND be manually driven is a great idea. I don't support the idea of self-driving-ONLY cars. Have a few beers? Put your car in self-driving mode. Feel like doing something fun with your car like taking it to Lime Rock (or whatever track/strip)? Disable self-driving mode and light 'em up.

I think a car that can both self-drive AND be manually driven is a great idea. I don't support the idea of self-driving-ONLY cars. Have a few beers? Put your car in self-driving mode. Feel like doing something fun with your car like taking it to Lime Rock (or whatever track/strip)? Disable self-driving mode and light 'em up.

Freeway during commute time, no manual drivers allowed. Why? Because they are the sole cause for why it takes a 30 minutes to go 10 miles (if you're lucky!).
Huge huge backup going south... like super slow, crap there's an accident ahead.... 35 minutes later... yes there was... on the north side, and all the slow down was because everyone had to get a good look as they got close. 10 feet past the accident freeway speeds again.

60 minutes recently ran a piece about how technology is causing us to have less time to "live in the moment". While this does not have to always be the case, when you are obligated to be "plugged in" (ie work responsibilities) it can be unavoidable, like having a company phone with access to E-Mail.

Driving is one part of life where we are required to live in the moment. Anti-texting and driving laws are making sure of that (although I suppose nowadays everyone is on the phone via BT).

For me, driving is almost meditative, it is where I do some of my best thinking and reflecting. I for one dread the self-driving car, although I am for more stringent standards for license acquisition.

Back