Help with HDMI setup new TV

Question for you AV gurus out there. Just picked up a Samsung UN55ES7150FXZA TV and an xbox one to go with it.

Now, question with the setup. I have an Onkyo TX-NR609 AV receiver that I have everything hooked up to currently with a single HDMI out to the TV. Now that I'm adding in the Xbox one, I want to actually start using the Game mode on the TV to reduce the input lag down to an acceptable level. Are TVs these days (or if it even works with HDMI specs) smart enough to know when I'm switching inputs on the onkyo to trigger different settings on the TV itself?

Or for optimal setup do I need to run the xbox direct to a different port on the TV that I can flag as the GAME port and then use the ARC port for my onkyo so it'll pass audio back down when I'm gaming and then work as a regular input for my other stuff. Maybe it'll make more sense when I get home and have time to just play with the inputs and settings.

thanks for any advice!

You need to read your TV's manual. I know on my panasonic ZT60 I need to use different ports to get different settings.

Incase anyone wanted to know the outcome here.

Got the ARC setup on the TV back to the Onkyo, with all the smart switching features (whatever they were called) which enables the ARC features, the TV passes the command to switch the input on the received to the ARC mode so my xbox audio passes from the tv back down to the receiver which allows me to have the xobx hooked direct to the TV.

Only other issue now is it seems I'm stuck with full channel mono only so I need to get to the bottom of that.

Only other issue now is it seems I'm stuck with full channel mono only so I need to get to the bottom of that.

Per the manual:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201209/20120910094456985/[ENG_US]WEB-XTATSCE-1015-0907.pdf

To hear sound from the Home Theater’s front, left and right speakers and the subwoofer only, connect a digital optical cable between the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) port on your TV and the Digital Audio Input on the Home Theater.

– To hear 5.1 channel audio, connect HDMI cables to your Anynet+ DVD player, satellite box, etc. Then, connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) port on your DVD
player, Satellite Box, etc. (i.e. Anynet+ Device 1 or 2) directly to the Home Theater, not the TV.

Back