2.1 suggestions

Riptide_NVN

2[H]4U
My klipsch 2.1 which is old as the hills is done. The subwoofer has developed a super annoying rattle.

Any recommendations on a good 2.1 system to replace this with? I've seen a lot of stuff in the 30-50w range but much of it gets bad reviews and I'm concerned it wouldn't have the volume levels needed to fill the duties I expect.

Set would be used for movies, gaming, and music. Small room about 300 square feet max.

I was thinking about just replacing the sub with a dayton 8" but I don't think it has the right connectors on it to work with the klipsch satellites.

The Dayton sub could work with the Klipsch satellites but you would need a separate amp and it would need to handle the 4 ohm impedance. Most T-amps do claim to do 4 ohms but how well it works depends on how well those Klipsch speakers are rated. Almost all speakers drop down lower in impedance than the rating (since it varies with frequency) and if those ones drop down too low, it could result in high distortion or even damage to the amplifier. Your "4 ohm" speakers could be rated correctly or they could be more deserving of, say "3 ohm" or "5 ohm" rating etc.

In any case the Dayton sub is great for the price and T-amps are also great for the price. To me the question is mainly whether you'd want to get new (and preferrably 6-8 ohm) speakers as well.

I had the 2.1 THX set myself years ago but I never tried the satellites with any amp other than the one that came with the system, nor did I ever put my Fluke to them (which is still not a great measurement anyway since, again, impedance is going to vary with frequency and the resistance I could measure would only tell part of the story).

You can also check simple stuff with the sub such as the screws being tight (as mentioned) and also the port for the subwoofer being tight (glue it if necessary). I've had many ports in subwoofers get loose and start to rattle.

It has more issues than just the subwoofer. The DIN connector has been an annoying POS for a while now. It's flaky and I usually have to fiddle with it before the satellites and the sub work. It'll crackle and I lose a channel if I barely budge the thing.

I got 10 years out of it. Can't complain.

I did a little searching around yesterday and the logitech z623 looks pretty equivalent.

I did a little searching around yesterday and the logitech z623 looks pretty equivalent.

I have never tried klipsch, but I have z623. They are just "ok", not balanced. Good bass, but not clear voice. (perhaps lack of tweeter).

This was the best (not DIY) 2.1 on my local market, but I was expecting better sound.

Personally when I had the Klipsch 2.1THX system, I thought it was only good for bass, and even then, it was boomy, low-quality (but relatively high-quantity) bass since it was a relatively small driver tuned high for quantity-over-quality.

But there is lots of treble with the system, too. Problem is it's shrilly and ear-piercing and disgusting like most (though not all) horn tweeters.

I suppose it depends on what OP thought of the tweeters in them.

I've been looking at that Harman Kardon Soundsticks III, reviews seem good on amazon. The consenuous being the lows and highs are great and clear but the mids aren't as strong. Plus they look pretty sweet.

But there is lots of treble with the system, too. Problem is it's shrilly and ear-piercing and disgusting like most (though not all) horn tweeters.
I found the sound from the Klipsch to be good except at high volume. That is when I would notice that shrill sound in the higher ranges.

I settled on the z623. I am hoping that overall it is pretty close to the quality of the klipsch. I am keeping my expectations tempered to that point. I just want something decent to replace it with. The one thing about the logitech that might be disappointing to me will be the lack of high end frequency response.

Back