R9 280X dying?

OofC_S7v7N

Gawd
My Power Color R9 280X I think is dying on me.

It has been crashing either causing a restart or BSOD.

Primarily when playing a game(mostly BF4).

It normally happens with some stuttering and then causes different color bars to pop out and that usually comes with some dubstep-eske sound.

Sometimes it will bring video back, albeit it is frozen and normally looks like a Christmas tree.

Is something anyone else has experienced and could it be covered under warranty.

Only had the card for a year now.

Did you download latest drivers? What is your PSU? Clean out your case? (too much dust can cause overheating issues.)

You have to check a lot of things first before think in the GPU dying, which its also a option.. first thing to check: GPU temperatures.. are you overclocking?. second: CPU temperature and again, are you overclocking the CPU?. I ask this mainly because crash/restart/BSOD are more typical CPU symptom. but Color bars, bad sound and other things can also be the vRAM in the card.. but also the RAM in the machine.. so there are a lot of things to check.. specially in BF4 which can stress all components..

This happened before and after updating to the newest drivers.

System is powered by a Fractal Design 750W Gold rated psu.

And this system was just moved over recently to a new case, so dust or clutter is not an issue!

None of my components are overclocked.

They are all at their factory settings.

With cpuz and gpuz up and running while playing BF4, I have not seen or gotten any messages for high temp warnings.

A co-worker suggested trying a different output from the videocard, but can that really be a solution?!

Try entirely removing and then reinstalling the Radeon drivers first.

And this system was just moved over recently to a new case, so dust or clutter is not an issue!

Did you make sure to replug the 8+6 pin connectors? (Although I'm sure there would be loud post beeps if you didn't anyway)

Haha. Yes. I made sure the power connectors were properly plugged in!

I have not uninstalled and reinstalled completely.

That could be the first thing i do to try and trouble shoot this!

If you have extra ram sticks laying around, I would check them. When I had my BSOD issues, found out 2 of my ram sticks were dying.

I do have some different ram sticks laying about somewhere. I do have all slots in use though of some crucial memory.

If all else fails, download Afterburner and turn the memory speed down on the card 100mhz.

Also, is there any dust in the card to cause overheating? Are you using a sound card?

If the card is doing this at stock settings, like I said I never overclocked or changed any settings!

And this system was recently moved to a new case and any dust that was on it I cleaned off!

I use crappy onboard audio, no sound card! :/

Also with the price of a XFX R9 290 for about $260 after discounts and rebates on the Egg.

Very tempted to just get that to replace the 280X.

Just don't want to buy a new video card if that is not the actual problem!

Also with the price of a XFX R9 290 for about $260 after discounts and rebates on the Egg.

Very tempted to just get that to replace the 280X.

Just don't want to buy a new video card if that is not the actual problem!

It sounds like a bad GDDR5 chip to be honest..Since the card is under warranty, if you have the extra cash I would RMA it and buy the 290..When the 280X gets back, you can easily get ~$130 or more for it, giving you a 60~80% performance upgrade for $130 or less...

I am definitely leaning toward rmaing and trying to find a deal on either the 290 or 290x.

Best deal I have seen so far was on tiger direct for sapphire 290x for $270!

Okay so the problem is persisting and getting worse.

I finally started to get an error message.

I have updated to the newest driver, but the problem happened before and no after the update.

If anyone knows what this error means and how to fix it that would be greatly appreciated!

image-2.jpg

are you playing in windowed mode?

i assume thi sonly happens in mantle, not dx?

This sounds like what I experienced with my GTX 280 back in 2009. Memory died. I would get a few random crashes, then started to get crashes with visual corruption (random colored patterns and lines, etc). Slowly got worse and worse until the card died.

If you've done all reasonable troubleshooting steps - and I'd start with using DDU to uninstall your drivers and reinstall the 14.12 Omega ones from scratch - just RMA it, chances are something is dead. If you have a spare or can borrow one, try swapping the card for another GPU and see if you have the same issues.

I run in Full Screen mode, never any game in window.

And in BF4 I use mantle, that is the only game I play that supports it.

Also I noticed this would happen less frequently, especially in BF4, if there were no other tabs open or programs opened in the background.

It would still happen, just would take longer.

Also sometimes the video goes out and the sound continues to play.
Sometimes the sound is stuck in repeating the same noise over, or just continues to play what ever is in the background.

I have used DDU to uninstall and reinstall to 14.12 Omega.

Unfortunately my spare GTX 660 died on me when I moved back from Japan.

There is a refurbished reference R9 290X on newegg right now for $265.

Seems like a great deal to get that and hold me over for a while.

have you tried mounting the card in a different PCI-e slot? not only checking power connectors but trying different connectors if your PSU has more than needed?

Knock on wood.

I have not had a crash since doing the DDU uninstall and reinstall.

And yes I did try those too!

Back