New Final Fantasy XV Trailer Shows Off Road Trip

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s been awhile since we’ve heard anything at all from Square Enix and the production of Final Fantasy XV. That took a sudden turn this weekend at Japan’s Jump Fiesta 2015 when the developers provided us with seven minutes of gameplay. Check it out. :cool:

Franchise has turned into a shell of what it used to be.

Franchise has hit a point where it's better than it has ever been. Might want to actually go play some of the early final fantasy games. Sure it's made missteps here and there, but in general continues getting better. I've played every one since it came out amd that includes quite a few imports.

How do they manage to keep pumping out characters that are totally unrelatable? What the fuck happened to classic character design?

Tetsuya Nomura is a retard.

Franchise has hit a point where it's better than it has ever been. Might want to actually go play some of the early final fantasy games. Sure it's made missteps here and there, but in general continues getting better. I've played every one since it came out amd that includes quite a few imports.

hmmk.

FF4: breddy gut
FF6: masterpiece
FF13: utter garbage

I think FF7 is super overrated, but a lot of people think it's the best in the series. you must be trolling by claiming that final fantasy is at its best these days.

Is this one of those games where it's 80% movie cut-scenes and only 20% actual playable game?

so is it now a straight-up action game? I saw the 3 minute of gameplay (the first half didn't count) and it looks like a button-masher.

hmmk.

I think FF7 is super overrated, but a lot of people think it's the best in the series. you must be trolling by claiming that final fantasy is at its best these days.

FF7 had the most relatable characters that you could get attached to. Probably the first and only game that actually had me emotionally involved

Is this one of those games where it's 80% movie cut-scenes and only 20% actual playable game?

so is it now a straight-up action game? I saw the 3 minute of gameplay (the first half didn't count) and it looks like a button-masher.

It is a JaRPG right? :p

How do they manage to keep pumping out characters that are totally unrelatable? What the fuck happened to classic character design?

The standard for good character design is the ability to relate to their roles in a fantasy universe? How about whether or not they're engaging or compelling in the context of their fantasy universe? Either way, you're making a tremendous leap based on a few minutes of game footage.

I'm mildly optimistic about FFXV, though I think I'll wait for it to hit Steam before I try it out. (No, this is not confirmation that a PC version has announced, just my personal opinion that the game will eventually appear on the PC.)

FF6(3) was the best and last good FF in my opinion. I'm so sick of these emo anime characters that we are supposed to care about now. They all look like pretty girls. The only reason people have such a warm and fuzzy about FF7 was that they graphics of the time weren't able to make the characters look like shiny anime women yet.

FF6(3) was the best and last good FF in my opinion. I'm so sick of these emo anime characters that we are supposed to care about now. They all look like pretty girls. The only reason people have such a warm and fuzzy about FF7 was that they graphics of the time weren't able to make the characters look like shiny anime women yet.

The series had it's best releases in the 16bit era, by far, but I'll take any of the famicom releases over 8 and the garbage that has followed it.

XII is one of the best games in the series. Don't sweep it under the rug with the likes of XIII and X-2.

FF6(3) was the best and last good FF in my opinion. I'm so sick of these emo anime characters that we are supposed to care about now. They all look like pretty girls.

Kinda like the emo anime character Celes who is a pretty girl?
Don't forget she's so emo she literally tries to kill herself!

What about androgynous Locke? That guy's tragic past (so emo) and serial white-knighting
gets him involved in world shattering (literally the world is shattered) bullshit.

I certainly cared about those two characters and they rather seem to fit your disdainful description. FF6 is one of my favorite games. Consider for a moment that your memories may not align with reality ;)

The new FFXV stuff I've seen makes me think things are looking up.

hmmk.

Trolling, no not by a long shot. But this thread does show that there is one important factor..personal taste.

That all said, take off the nostalgia glasses for a bit and in general FF has improved. doesn't mean every character is perfect or every story is a masterpiece it means the sum of all its parts. 13 was far from garbage if you actually bothered to play it through. Was it the best? no not hardly I still prefer other FF to it. However in general it moved the series forward. The only one i can think of that didn't move the series forward and really was just a flat step backwards was 9 and that is ignoring the X2 abomination.

The only one i can think of that didn't move the series forward and really was just a flat step backwards was 9 and that is ignoring the X2 abomination.

Dude, Final Fantasy Super Magical Dress-Up Girls was the shiznit! :p

hmmk.

Different people have different opinion, doesn't make someone a troll if they find recent titles more enjoyable than the ones in the past.

Personally I like the battle system in both FF X and FF 13. FF 8 was good too.

Regardless, the FF series is one of the few franchise that have gone through different video game era over the decades. It cannot be expected to serve the same kind of audience today as it did back in the late 80s and 90s. What worked back than may not work today.

For those who prefers the classic RPG approach, obviously they are not going to enjoy the modern titles very much. Likewise, the younger audience who do enjoy modern titles may not feel so about the classical ones.

As for me, I consider myself fortunate enough to be able to enjoy both classic and modern approach, and everything in between.

While I am usually very quick to slam Nomura on how inane his character design had become in in the past decade: The characters in this new game are some of the most real looking the series has ever had. They essentially look like Japanese people from a movie set, fashion mag, or some urban gathering. That may alienate white America: but you have to remember where this game is from. I mean, not only do the people themselves look very realistic, the clothing design is much more down to earth and tasteful than anything in FFX or FFXIII. And even XIII felt more reigned in and focused, than X ever did, in terms of clothing design.

I'm wondering how you are defining "relatable"? I'm thinking you meant something about characters with distinct appearances. A personality which you can boldly see. I think one of the goals with the group in this game was to get away from some of the visual tropes and create a more realistic bunch. So that when you are cruising the countryside, you feel like you are on a virtual road trip with your virtual buddies. Not the bold and vibrantly designed stars of the next demon killing anime squad.

Nomura tried to do it in FFVIII, as well. A more visually subdued cast and created an atmosphere which at times would feel like you are at university with your pals and classmates. At least, initially.

Nomura is capable of some pretty focused, high quality work. He just needs a director to focus him into it.

been playing games for 30 years and i have never played FF, was actually sure it was a turn based JRPG and not what i saw in the video, when did that happened?

While I am usually very quick to slam Nomura on how inane his character design had become in in the past decade: The characters in this new game are some of the most real looking the series has ever had. They essentially look like Japanese people from a movie set, fashion mag, or some urban gathering. That may alienate white America: but you have to remember where this game is from. I mean, not only do the people themselves look very realistic, the clothing design is much more down to earth and tasteful than anything in FFX or FFXIII. And even XIII felt more reigned in and focused, than X ever did, in terms of clothing design.

I'm wondering how you are defining "relatable"? I'm thinking you meant something about characters with distinct appearances. A personality which you can boldly see. I think one of the goals with the group in this game was to get away from some of the visual tropes and create a more realistic bunch. So that when you are cruising the countryside, you feel like you are on a virtual road trip with your virtual buddies. Not the bold and vibrantly designed stars of the next demon killing anime squad.

Nomura tried to do it in FFVIII, as well. A more visually subdued cast and created an atmosphere which at times would feel like you are at university with your pals and classmates. At least, initially.

Nomura is capable of some pretty focused, high quality work. He just needs a director to focus him into it.

I believe you just pointed out the flaw in his argument if you want to call 1 sentence fragment an argument. However since i know the position hes coming from I'll roll with it. In short the argument is that the heavy stereotypes and heavily cliched characters of the past that dominated the standard jrpg including FF is what they miss. They can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that most of those characters weren't any more relatable and really they just got caught up in enjoying the humor of the heavy stereotyping. Now that the series is maturing (started with VIII as you said and generally as moved forward since) they don't realize they never related they just can't laugh at the characters any longer. In short FF has grown up and matured and they..well haven't. As I said though, I'm not saying t he newer games are all amazing. I'm simply saying that in general the series has continued to grow and move forward. Sometimes the story suffers in one, or the characters suffer in another, but when you look at the big picture it has improved.

A good example:

I have a ton of VII stuff because that game always had a great deal of nostalgia for me. I however am able to recognize that in generally it wasn't that great. It just managed to find this weird place where it fit. Honestly i liked VIII far more than I ever did VII and that is because the characters were just flatly better developed. I utterly hated IX, I really enjoyed X, I really didn't care for XII even though I recognize it moved the series forward. I know quite a few people praised that particular one, but I never could get past the horrible combat system that played the damn game for you or the really piss poor main character. To me XIII with all of its flaws was a solid step in the right direction. It had a story I could be involved in, characters i didn't outright hate and the most important was the alternate bosses were really quite challenging. I certainly hated how "on rails" the early part of the game felt but as I said big picture.

I liked VIII, mostly because it was on the PC and not a MMORPG.

Let's hope that XV on PC prediction comes true. I'll buy it!

Here's my 2 cents.

I like Nobuo Uematsu with a real orchestra better then with a sound chip.

So I will say the newer games are better.

Looks slightly more interesting. Glad to see the car has wheels that move now as opposed to the stock rotating circles of before. Combat looks more real time and less turn based. I love me some turn based JRPG style combat. I hope they bring that back.

To me XIII with all of its flaws was a solid step in the right direction. It had a story I could be involved in, characters i didn't outright hate and the most important was the alternate bosses were really quite challenging. I certainly hated how "on rails" the early part of the game felt but as I said big picture.

The only thing in 13 that was a step in the right direction was the excellent graphics/performance on consoles. The story, that you somehow "got involved in" didn't exist. It was an incoherent mess of terms, characters, and events that are never explained, are contradicted constantly, and basically makes no sense. In regards to combat, it had potential, but in function came out to "Do X pattern of inputs for Y type of enemy", which of course is no different than most the other games, except in 13 you had even less control of your character than even 12. It was a terrible game.

The final fantasy series ended at 9. Everything after it (and partially 8) are something else, not FF. I'm extremely excited about 15, but I don't see it as a FF title.

I've never played any of the FF series. What's the best way to get into the series and play the old ones? Are they all console based?

I've never played any of the FF series. What's the best way to get into the series and play the old ones? Are they all console based?

Quite a number of them have been ported to PC. You can find these on Steam.

FF III
FF IV
FF VII
FF VIII
FF XIII
FF XIII-2

FF XIII and it's expansion is currently the latest of the series that is available in the market. For the older ones, you should be able to run them on PC using emulator.

I really didn't care for XII even though I recognize it moved the series forward. I know quite a few people praised that particular one, but I never could get past the horrible combat system that played the damn game for you or the really piss poor main character.
less control of your character than even 12.

I would think that a lot of PC gamers would enjoy FF12's gameplay. It feels very much a bioware RPG (something like KoToR) or a modern MMO with a bit more interactivity, such as Guild Wars.
You can have complete control over every character in your party, if you want. You do not have to embrace the "gambit" system. However, the game is fantastically designed around it. Many of the boss fights and most especially the "hunts" (optional boss-type characters) are not very practical, without partially utilizing the gambits. I tend the play the game where I am in complete control of my party leader and the others in my party are partially configured by gambits. Giving me logical reasons to step in and take direct control, should a specific need arise.

I'm extremely excited about 15, but I don't see it as a FF title.
Someone else pointed out earlier, that Final Fantasy is one of the longest running game series. With each release, a brand new world is created and explored. The game systems are designed to meet the times. The graphics and presentation are designed to meet the times. It has often been a technological showcase and always innovative, to some degree. Each release has pushed back or even redefined what it means to be an JRPG. Final Fantasy has never been anything more than a title and a few carry over points, such as recurring names for characters and things and a few monster and character types. Such chocbos, moogles, Moroboros, and many of the summons like Shiva and Ifrit.

However, as the games have gone on, these things have been more and more integrated into the reality of the game universe.

I would start with FF7. FF6 is just retro enough, that it could feel like a bit of a chore to play unless you are already a fan of the series. FF7 is the right mix of modern gameplay sensibilities and retro charm and personality.

Nonsensical Engrish: CHECK
Absurd and overwrought dialog delivered by sedated high school drama team: CHECK
Emo retard character designs: CHECK

Looks like Square is right on track with this one.

Back