Looking for a SATA card

amarshonarbangla

Weaksauce
Hello everyone. I am looking for a good, reliable 4 port SATA expansion card. It must support 6TB HDDs. Don't need RAID because I will be using FlexRAID with it.

LSI cards can be a good suggestion but he should mention which motherboard before considering them since their compatibility with various Intel boards is absolute garbage.

He may need to go with a Marvell, Highpoint (non-LSI), Promise, or perhaps even Silicon Image solution if his motherboard is incompatible with LSI.

I didn't see his motherboard listed in his user info, either.

I thought I had my IBM/LSI M1015 working on my X58-UD3R, but I wasn't 100% sure so I Googled it and there are lots of people having trouble with them. Makes me wonder if I did have that card working on that mobo. Been a while now so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. I did have an Adaptec 3085 years ago, too, and it might have been that card in that mobo. You might be more likely to get a 9210/9211 (or a 9240/M1015/etc. with 9210/9211 IT firmware - which would likely need to be flashed on a different machine) to work but overall it's probably safer to avoid LSI. It might work if you tape off the SMBUS pins on the connector though.

If you just want something decent to add up to 4 HDDs and don't need it to be super fast, 88SE9215 is probably a good option around $30. Here's one: http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Profile-Bracket-SI-PEX40064/dp/B00AZ9T3OU

It's a PCI-E 2.0 x1 card so you should have around 500MB/s in each direction. It would limit you significantly if you load it up with SSDs and it would potentially limit you a little bit of you put only HDDs on it. But for most uses it would work fine with no noticeable performance issue compared to the Intel controller onboard.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back