Sony Hack Was 'Cyber Vandalism,' Not Act of War

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We can now stand down the Armies, disarm the nukes and go back to DEFCON 5, condition Green for the foreseeable future. Appearing on CNN’s State of the Union this morning, President Obama stated that North Korea’s alleged cyber-attacks on Sony did not constitute a state of war, but may land North Korea back on the state sponsored terrorist list.

Hours before broadcast of the TV interview, North Korea’s powerful National Defense Commission issued a statement that again denied any link with the Sony hack but repeated praise for the action of the hacker group, which used the name “Guardians of Peace.”

It was at the least cyber terrorism,given the threats against Sony employees and the threat of 9/11 type attacks against theaters showing the movie.

I still don't believe this was done by North Korea and this seems very tame to the things the Chinese and the US have both been involved in. Hacking a movie company versus infecting computers that control critical infrastructure.

I'm just wondering if I'm going to get to see the real story in the press anytime soon or if I'll have to wait for it to come out in a book decades from now when someone retires and writes their memoirs.

You can expect it to be something along the lines of "Sony blackmailed with internal company proof of criminal activity after for profit hacking group realizes they found a way to exploit the built in back doors in Sony's networking equipment. NSA still denying any backdoors exist."

I think North Korea was easy to point the finger at and enjoyed the publicity from it, but I think they had zero to do with this. They never said much of anything about another movie that came out a few years back that was way more provocative. Team America: World Police was way more offensive.

There's also the little issue of Sony Picture's parent conglomerate in Japan. They have enough leverage in the Japanese banking system to prod the Yakuza clans who bought into the banks there to close their smuggling networks to NK as well.

The entire story being repeated on the news just reeks of misdirection. The movie got pulled because the hackers obviously found something Sony doesn't want made available to the government or the public. Otherwise they would never pull a movie this close to release after they already spent the promotional budget advertising it barring a bad sex scandal or something similar right before release.

They never said much of anything about another movie that came out a few years back that was way more provocative. Team America: World Police was way more offensive.
Yeah they did, they just couldn't do anything about it ten years ago, and Team America has now also banned by Paramount fearing action from the dictator as some theaters had planned to show that in place of their bookings for The Interview.

I think people like to forget how brutal this dictatorship is. It has been rated by the Human Rights Watch report to be the world's most repressive government, and that's including African regimes. They have almost a quarter of a million political prisoners, and any true political threats to the dictatorship are not only themselves killed, but they kill the entire family and anyone that was friends with the person.

Remember these are the guys that even intentionally starved their people, where around a million people literally starved to death (and distributed bricks of ground bark/leaves/grass as food)... not that they are self-sufficient on basic food production even to this day and its the Russians and Chinese that keep the government afloat.

Other dictators like Saddam we demonized in the worst possible way, even though containment was a rather simple affair and no true direct action against the United States was ever taken. Meanwhile, we look the other way for North Korea, and even have some of our more retarded liberals try to pretend that Kim Jun isn't such a bad guy after all, just misunderstood.

That movie didn't come out because the hackers have info that would cripple Sony.

Payroll
bank#s
SSN's
Who's fucking who in the office
Shit talking about actors (already confirmed)
Mob ties
Money laundering
Adresses of employees including executives

If you can pick any of those and with them folding like a lawn chair, Sony may not be releasing a movie for a very long time.

Other dictators like Saddam we demonized in the worst possible way, even though containment was a rather simple affair and no true direct action against the United States was ever taken. Meanwhile, we look the other way for North Korea, and even have some of our more retarded liberals try to pretend that Kim Jun isn't such a bad guy after all, just misunderstood.

Like Castro and a lot of mass murderers out there.

You want to be liked by the left? Kill lots of people. Bonus points for being extra cruel and ruthless.

President Obama stated that North Korea’s alleged cyber-attacks on Sony did not constitute a state of war[/URL], but may land North Korea back on the state sponsored terrorist list.

He's correct. Acts of war would be more like Flame & Stuxnet. Hmmm, wonder why America never investigated the "culprits" of those two. I mean being the 2 most elaborate and complex virus's ever made, you'd think they want to find out what evil organizations were behind such things......

Oh, also, President of the United States commenting on a movie being leaked :rolleyes:

Probably even used the word "folks" a couple times.....

I wonder if our own intelligence agencies already knew about the same exploits that N.Korea used to hack Sony, but don't reveal them so as to prevent something in their own arsenal from going away. Hard to complain when a vulnerability you're using is turned around and used against you.

The last I heard is that Sony is putting the movie out for free on their streaming service Crackle. Is that still the case?

He's correct. Acts of war would be more like Flame & Stuxnet. Hmmm, wonder why America never investigated the "culprits" of those two. I mean being the 2 most elaborate and complex virus's ever made, you'd think they want to find out what evil organizations were behind such things......

I thought the fact that we were involved in the creation/distribution of Stuxnet was one of those "worst kept secrets" type of deals.

With respect to North Korea, I'm honestly just shocked that they even have computers and/or access to the Internet. Even if it is just for a select few, it still means that at least someone in that country knows about what the rest of the world is like. With that knowledge you would think they would either work on changing things or simply get the hell out of there. That is a huge risk for such a paranoid dictator...

Yeah it sounded like a stupid rumor. I think Bitorrent told them they would host it or something which I thought was interesting. Like it or not, all this controversy has made this quite the movie to watch this year just to spite NK.

Where'd you hear that? Afaik that's BS.

Just. No.

It is called internet trolling.

In this post 9/11 world,can Sony take that chance? Everyone put them down for not releasing the movie,but playing "what if" - what if they released the movie,and there was a massacre in some theater on Christmas? It wouldn't have to be a terrorist attack from outside the country,as we've learned on a constant basis,there's plenty of homegrown homicidal maniacs to go around. All it takes is all this publicity to plant the seed in some diseased mind. Then naturally everyone would condemn Sony for releasing the movie,the inevitable lawsuits would follow,ect.,ect. It's a veritable no win scenario.

In this post 9/11 world,can Sony take that chance? Everyone put them down for not releasing the movie,but playing "what if" - what if they released the movie,and there was a massacre in some theater on Christmas? It wouldn't have to be a terrorist attack from outside the country,as we've learned on a constant basis,there's plenty of homegrown homicidal maniacs to go around. All it takes is all this publicity to plant the seed in some diseased mind. Then naturally everyone would condemn Sony for releasing the movie,the inevitable lawsuits would follow,ect.,ect. It's a veritable no win scenario.

It is trolling, unless there is verifiable intel suggesting otherwise. "Taking a chance" on an internet troll?

Put it this way, an IRC channel I used to frequent had one of its members arrested by the FBI. Why? Because the guy was stupid enough to drunk troll IRC about shooting up a school. No one took a chance, fellow spent 12-months in an orange jumpsuit...had to foot $100K+ in legal fees, became a registered villain for 18 months afterwards, and was of course fired from his job. Who knows what the legal expenses of the State were. All for an IRC troll that was done in bad taste at 4AM.

Zero tolerance is zero brains.

That movie didn't come out because the hackers have info that would cripple Sony.

Payroll
bank#s
SSN's
Mob ties
Money laundering

If you can pick any of those and with them folding like a lawn chair, Sony may not be releasing a movie for a very long time.

+ Which politicians Sony has bribed.

Payroll
bank#s
SSN's
Mob ties
Money laundering

The reason that the movie isn't being released is because the major theater chains decided to not show it as a result of the bomb threats. Sony is apparently looking into 'alternative means' to release it.

Like Castro and a lot of mass murderers out there.

You want to be liked by the left? Kill lots of people. Bonus points for being extra cruel and ruthless.

That's one of the dumbest things I've read today. Care to elaborate?

I still don't believe this was done by North Korea and this seems very tame to the things the Chinese and the US have both been involved in. Hacking a movie company versus infecting computers that control critical infrastructure.

Except there is more to it then just this. That movie also represents one of the cornerstone freedoms of our Nation and this is also an attack on that freedom. What about next time, what will it be next month?

Sony and these theaters allowed someone else to dictate what we can and can not say. Are you sure you're good with that?

Back