Stalker back in Business

Stalker is based on the book Roadside Picnic, not the similarly named film. Really good book btw.

Given their track record with the STALKER 2 debacle,I'm not getting my hopes up. I'd love to see more of the STALKER franchise,though,they were my favorite games,the best open world shooters out there.

Stalker is based on the book Roadside Picnic, not the similarly named film. Really good book btw.

The movie is based loosely on the book as well, hence why they share many themes and things.

The movie is quite good too, if you don't mind long movies.

2837453-good_good.jpg

I am not holding my breath. Just look at the issues this series has had with rights.

The movie is based loosely on the book as well, hence why they share many themes and things.

The movie is quite good too, if you don't mind long movies.

Isn't the movie just some dude running around the Ukraine? I thought I saw a clip on YouTube once.

Isn't the movie just some dude running around the Ukraine? I thought I saw a clip on YouTube once.

The movie is closer to the novel than Stalker the game is. It's about a Stalker leading 2 others through the zone to a wish granting anomolay (this is borrowed from the book, and element that the game borrows as well). The zone in the movie is actually much closer to the book than the game is.

I wouldn't really say Stalker the game is based on either really other than borrowing certain setting elements which are then "mashed up" with other elements that would be more relate able to Ukrainians (no real surprise given the developer location). Like I mentioned above the zone is actually depicted rather differently and so is the background (the zone is created by aliens in the novel, I don't believe it's specifically stated in the movie).

Neither the movie nor novel are really "action" oriented at all, from what I can remember there is maybe 1 arguable action scene in each (different). Only the movie even features fire arms at all but there isn't any actual fire fights between armed people.

It's about a Stalker (IE A person who guides people through the "zone") who takes two men through the Zone to find a room that grants wishes.

They even use the whole "bolt tossing" aspect like you have in the game to find anomalies like you can do in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM_GOpfEQUw

It's a beautiful film but if you need lots of things "happening" or action, it might bore you.

It's a bit slow and somber.

I like the setting of Survarium, but I'm not really a fan of MMO.

I hope STALKER 2 will be completed and released in the near future.

Got my hopes up with the headline...

At least there's a chance we might see another official Stalker title in the future though.

The movie is closer to the novel than Stalker the game is. It's about a Stalker leading 2 others through the zone to a wish granting anomolay (this is borrowed from the book, and element that the game borrows as well). The zone in the movie is actually much closer to the book than the game is.

I wouldn't really say Stalker the game is based on either really other than borrowing certain setting elements which are then "mashed up" with other elements that would be more relate able to Ukrainians (no real surprise given the developer location). Like I mentioned above the zone is actually depicted rather differently and so is the background (the zone is created by aliens in the novel, I don't believe it's specifically stated in the movie).

Neither the movie nor novel are really "action" oriented at all, from what I can remember there is maybe 1 arguable action scene in each (different). Only the movie even features fire arms at all but there isn't any actual fire fights between armed people.

It's been a while since I read it but basically the book is about a Lab technician living in a town adjacent to the Zone. In his former life he was a stalker who went on illegal missions into the zone to get artifacts for the black market. He gets talked into one last score though he was just supposed to be a minor tour guide. The mission goes south but he does make out ok money wise. The problem is he gets infected by an anomaly and his infant daughter is slowly becoming a mutant. He goes to the Wish room or whatever in desperation to save his daughter.

The movies kind of similar. The basic plot is about desperate people trying to make ends meat in near the Zone.

The game has no ties to the plot of the book or movie and weirdly is much more lighthearted despite being already depressing as fuck the game is no where close to the novel or film in tone.

Also no one can live in the zone unlike in the game. Everything in the zone is instantly fatal 90% of the time. No health bar.

It's called Roadside picnic because the aliens created zone by dumping their garbage on earth while passing through. The Zone in the movie I think is just phenomena. If I have to pick one as much as I like the nature of the book I prefer the fictional history aspect of the game. Having researched Chernobyl I think they really knocked it out of the park in design.

Just started playing the Lost Alpha mod and it's really got me yearning for an official new game in the franchise. The mod has it's problems but is actually quite good given how ambitious it is. But essentially it's just a retelling of the SoC storyline,I'd love to see a completely new adventure in the Zone.

Back