windows server 2008 disable memony limit (more than 8 gb)

Libertyn

n00b
Hello everybody, i have a problem with windows server 2008 foundation (64 bit), a want to disable memory limit. It is possible to disable memory limit ? Memory limit is only limited by the license.

Not license, but edition actually.
There's no legal way to bypass that limit.

just hypothetical... do you know how to bypass that limit ? Or do you know where i can find information about bypass that limit ?

this is not that easy... I must use windows 2008 fundation because, i have big app in .net and mssql.

just hypothetical... do you know how to bypass that limit ? Or do you know where i can find information about bypass that limit ?

There's only 3 ways you're going to get past the Edition limits:

1) Upgrade to Standard or above
2) Pirate Standard or above (something you're hinting at)
3) Run Standard or above in Trial mode (time limits so probably useless)

The reason Microsoft licensing are so expensive is because people pirate the shit out of their software.

Licensing is easy to understand now. Do the right thing.

I was able to pick up a license for Server 2008 Enterprise R2 from Ebay for roughly $125 about 8 months ago. Works just fine, and keeps my server chugging along, no artificial limits. (dual socket, 48GB of memory, 22+ hard drives, three NICs)

Not that I'd recommend buying software on Ebay..... but it did work for me xD

I was able to pick up a license for Server 2008 Enterprise R2 from Ebay for roughly $125 about 8 months ago. Works just fine, and keeps my server chugging along, no artificial limits. (dual socket, 48GB of memory, 22+ hard drives, three NICs)

Not that I'd recommend buying software on Ebay..... but it did work for me xD

it may work, but you definitely bought pirated software.

it may work, but you definitely bought pirated software.

Not if the only thing he got was the license. If he received it as a DVD and installed it from the DVD, there's a chance it was pirated. If he downloaded the official ISO and plugged in the license code and it activated, it's legit, at least for the moment. If the seller is shady and sells the same license again and someone else tries to activate it, then it might invalidate that license.

Or it could be a VL, but I thought Microsoft cracked down on illegally using VL keys?

Not if the only thing he got was the license. If he received it as a DVD and installed it from the DVD, there's a chance it was pirated. If he downloaded the official ISO and plugged in the license code and it activated, it's legit, at least for the moment. If the seller is shady and sells the same license again and someone else tries to activate it, then it might invalidate that license.

Or it could be a VL, but I thought Microsoft cracked down on illegally using VL keys?

ENTERPRISE key for $125?
That's pirated. Period.
Even a Server 2008 R2 Standard license costs more than that.

Ok, maybe pirated is the wrong word, but definitely not a legit key for resale.

2008R2 Enterprise is almost $3k.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Mi...2008-R2-Enterprise-w-SP1-license/2533204.aspx

$3,000 license for $125? That is not legit.

I downloaded the official ISO and plugged in the license code. Activated without an issue.

Double checked..... yup. Looks like the reseller is no longer on ebay. Poof into the ether. Lovely.
My bad for hijacking the thread.

Libertyn, I'm moving my recommendation from Windows Server over to Linux server, which it looks like I might be migrating to in the next few months.

They did, but only starting with Windows 8/2012+ which changed the entire activation scheme. Windows 2008 R2 was the last method that could be easily pirated using VL keys.

Back