mATX Case Recommendation w/ 240mm Radiator

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
I'm currently rocking a Lian Li PC-V350 in a poorly ventilated location (bought it way back in 2007).

Its on a small shelf in a built in kitchen cabinet area, so the Lian Li just fits but doesn't breath that well. Modifying the kitchen isn't an option, so I'm looking to upgrade the case, with something that can breath efficiently in that confined space.

15874932127_817ec142cf_o.png

(computer sits on red shelf, a bit over 11" high, 17" wide, 12" deep)

Requirements:
1) mATX motherboard
2) Full size power supply
3) fits 240mm radiator ideal, 120mm radiator would be fine
4) Only needs room for one SSD, and I'm using integrated graphics on a i5-4570s
5) Be able to reach power/usb ports on its "front" with the back being 12" deep (so it can be wider than it is deep)
6) Power button and USB connections accessible conveniently the way its oriented on that shelf

I'm willing to ditch the optical drives and hard drives, as they have a home server now. Anyone run into a similar situation and have a recommendation?

Something like the Cooler Master HAF XB EVO would be sweet if it weren't so huge (power button on widest part of case, 240mm rad support, but too big due to dual harddrive and optical bays)
290_46_19500650e88fdfead65694c455ec0ef1_1397773687.jpg

Last edited:
How about making a custom face plate for the cubbyhole? Use a remote power switch or scrounge a switch from old case. Make the custom face vented, and embed a fan somewhere inside to stir up the air.

Thanks, that's not a bad idea, although would be a bit of work. Hadn't even thought of that. :)

I looked the case over and have decided to simply modify the aluminum side panel of my existing case though. I also just went without the side panel USB ports, and used a powered USB3 hub which puts the power button on the left corner of the case easily reachable.

Thanks again for the input though, that definitely would have worked too, although still would have left a bit of a challenge of what to mount the radiator to. I'm going to have to double-check measurements, but think it'll fit on the side here facing outward (at least a 120mm one would, 240mm might hit the RAM):
3619347946_f7da377892.jpg

Why the decision for liquid cooling? You already have that CPU? It is 65W TDP, and if you get rid of the case, it will have much more room to breathe. Should be perfectly fine at stock speeds as long as you leave power savings enabled, and don't intentionally hammer it. Looking at your picture, the heatsink doesn't look as if there is much room to breathe, plus your PSU and HDDs added a bit of heat.

Here's how I'd do it. Run board caseless. Get a tower heatsink, so the fan can be the exhaust as well. Orient it so it is facing outwards. Use a PicoPSU to power it, which removes another heat generator from the space. Make a mesh grill for entire opening. Can wrap mesh around a wooden frame, so you can set it in there like a window or door.

Back