Help me waste my Tax return on a 4K gaming build!

FlamingTP

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
4K gaming on my Samsung 4k monitor
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
highest quality/lowest price, that can handle Battlefield 4 at 4k resolutions. You tell me and I will buy it, see below for reused parts. as a target price say 2500 or less, not including tax/shipping.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

USA, Denver Colorado is the nearest city, it has a micro center but I've never been there.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU cooler (Corsair H110?)
Case-fans 120 & 140mm for Corsair C70 case
CPU/Mobo/ram/video card(s)
PSU? (current is OCz 650w 80bronze modular, need new one?)
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341051
Corsair C70 Case OD Green
KB/Mouse/monitor
167GB SSD/3TB WD Black HDD/USB external drives
Optical drive
6) Will you be overclocking?
RAM/CPU "safe" overclock
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Samsung 4K 28inch 3840 x 2160
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Feb/march 2015
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
eSATA, USB 3.0, 2-Card-SLI, overclocking support.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 64 bit home premium (if upgrade needed will do so.)

It's a bit too early to recommend parts. Anything we recommend now could be overpriced, outdated, or out of stock in March. When specifically were you hoping to buy everything?

Switching gears a bit, how old is the power supply? Which specific (brand/model/age) SSD do you have?

Got your taxes already????

I take care of the severely disabled for a living, the IRS informed me I have been tax exempt the whole time and I'm getting somewhere in the neighborhood of ten grand back. I want as much in savings as possible though so I dont want to pay 2 grand for the video cards, or buy one of those thousand dollar intel CPUS.

It's a bit too early to recommend parts. Anything we recommend now could be overpriced, outdated, or out of stock in March. When specifically were you hoping to buy everything?

Switching gears a bit, how old is the power supply? Which specific (brand/model/age) SSD do you have?

I don't know when exactly, all I know is I just sent in three years worth of tax return amendments because the IRS says they owe me around ten grand. I have no idea how long it will take them to pay me. Should I wait until I know?

PSU is, I'm guessing around 3-4 years old, also I'm guessing I'll have to replace it anyway due to SLI power loads that could handle 4k.

SSD is: Corsair Force GT 180 GB, I think this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233211 I'm going to guess its maybe a year or two old.

I don't know when exactly, all I know is I just sent in three years worth of tax return amendments because the IRS says they owe me around ten grand. I have no idea how long it will take them to pay me. Should I wait until I know?
I recommend that you revisit this thread when you have about $3000 available for this build.

PSU is, I'm guessing around 3-4 years old, also I'm guessing I'll have to replace it anyway due to SLI power loads that could handle 4k.
Yeah, you definitely need a better quality PSU than the OCZ.

SSD is: Corsair Force GT 180 GB, I think this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233211 I'm going to guess its maybe a year or two old.
Since you could afford to, get a newer, larger capacity SSD. It will perform faster than the Corsair Force GT and you'll have more room for your games and key programs.

I would also look into if you will need HDMI 2.0 with HDCP. If so your going to be capped at 30p or 30fps for that port on your current Samsung. Displayport 1.3 would be ideal but I don't know any monitors or TV's that fully support it at the moment.

The Samsung U28D590D 4k monitor will do 30Hz via HDMI. But the DP will do a full 60Hz off it. You can also do a split screen between HDMI and DP at the same time if needed. But as noted the prices will all change and something else will be out by then when he gets ready to buy. I would wait until that week and actually start getting opinions and a hardware list then. Tech just changes too fast to make a opinion now on it.

I would also look into if you will need HDMI 2.0 with HDCP. If so your going to be capped at 30p or 30fps for that port on your current Samsung. Displayport 1.3 would be ideal but I don't know any monitors or TV's that fully support it at the moment.

Back