Author Wants To Give The Interview Away On BitTorrent

HardOCP News

[H] News
While this is never going to happen, I like the way the guy thinks.

Sony may have withdrawn The Interview but not everyone is scared of releasing the movie. Author Paulo Coelho, whose book The Alchemist has sold in excess of 165 million copies, has just offered to buy the rights to the movie from Sony. He informs TorrentFreak that it would go straight on BitTorrent, for free.

“I offer @SonyPictures 100k for the rights of ‘The Interview’ I will post it free on my blog,” the author announced.

El-oh-el.

Hey, I'll give you FIFTY DOLLARS for your Aston Martin.

Hey, I'll give you FIFTY DOLLARS for your Aston Martin.

But if that Aston Martin is wrapped around a tree it might be a good deal. At this point some Sony could use a break. There could be a lot of good will generated by giving this film. Of course depending on how serious these assholes are, it could lead to even more trouble.

Yeah, this just gets weirder and weirder.

We've got Sony and Paramount voluntarily censoring themselves because hackers who live in a poverty stricken totalitarian state threatened them; while an intellectual author attempts to buy the film and release it via Bittorrent, and a failed presidential candidate tries to convince Sony to stream it for free.

Now all we need is Anthony Weiner and Gamergate to get involved and it'll be a circus of crazy.

Yeah, this just gets weirder and weirder.

We've got Sony and Paramount voluntarily censoring themselves because hackers who live in a poverty stricken totalitarian state threatened them; while an intellectual author attempts to buy the film and release it via Bittorrent, and a failed presidential candidate tries to convince Sony to stream it for free.

Now all we need is Anthony Weiner and Gamergate to get involved and it'll be a circus of crazy.

if they put it up for free i would donate $5

They will pour lighter fluid on every copy of it and set it on fire before they give it away for free.

They will pour lighter fluid on every copy of it and set it on fire before they give it away for free.

Ah yes, The Atari/ ET method right?
That's just corperate greed right there.

Well, it IS a Rogan/ Franco film, burning it might just be the humanitarian thing to do.

Better than the zero dollars they will get if they don't show it.

I like the way this author thinks... Great view.

Sony appears to be trying for the insurance money...so that $100k is chump change compared to the insurance payout.

They'll show it, just on the video on demand and dvd/bluray market.

That said $100M to make this movie, where they really expecting to get that much back?

No, they said they won't release it on VOD either, at least not for now.

But how are they going to blame this on pirates if they don't release it?

I think they'll just wait until it all dies down that release it, kind of how like after 9/11 there were a few movies which the movie studios held back on releasing until later.

I think a stipulation for the insurance is to have it never released though. I mean if someone offers like 40M to Sony, I think they should just take it. I doubt they would take 100k though.

$100k for a movie with a budget of $41mil? Lol.

Oh come on everyone, are you so blind you don't see what's going on?

1: Create teaser trailers for politically crazy movie
2: Blow and Hookers
3: Movie get's hacked/threatened whatever so can't be released
4: Insurance $, Tax write off from $41m in losses...

Hell of a scam, If only I were in a situation where I could pull off the same thing...:p

If they can't trick you to come out and spend $100+ for a small family or group of friends to go watch their "movies" (ugh I use that term loosely) then they will get your hard earned $$$ another way. Via insurance and government bailout intervention.
Hollywood: "We would have totally made like $200 million on this movie if it wasn't for the terrorists..."
Feds: "Ohh emm gee did you say terrorists??? Hubbera gibbity gib NATIONAL SECURITAHH!!!!!"
Hollywood: "Exaaaaaaaaaactly......."
Feds: "Don't worry, we'll make sure the tax payers bail you out. If it wasn't for your entertainment they would all be living dull boring lives. You are too IMPORTANT to fail!!!"
Hollywood: "Excellent...."
Feds: "My fellow Americans. Today is a great day for us, for we will be protecting our national pride by bailing out HOLLYWOOD!!!!!!"

I think the US Navy should broadcast it into N Korea for the next 12 months.

Back