Need help I'm about to destroy this mobo....

JR88

Weaksauce
This bullshit....I'm fucking pissed my Xeon w3520 died the other day....popped in my i7 920 was working fine, did a clean install on array etc, was great UNTIL EARLIER....now out of no where BIOS only detects 6gb of my nanya ram I have 9gb in trip 3x2gb 3x1gb etc.....tried moving around the sticks no go...tried some G.skill hynix 8gb 2x4g in dual channel not detecting 1 of them sticks either....its like 1 of the slots crapped out....CPUZ detects all of the ram/9gb but its still just reverting to 6gb/use and dual channel will not go into tripple at all what the hell..... no bent pins or anything I can see wrong..... reseated the 920...still same not sure what else to try... damn bios issue? re-flash maybe? or something wrong with 920 now? or just dead ram slots....I don't know.....

Need help....

Last edited:
I think it is your OS limiting it to 8gb ram or whatever it "feels" is appropriate. You running win vista/win7 home?

Did you reset your CMOS?
If your old chip had voltages changed, they might have been too much for the new chip.

I had a ton of BIOS issues with the Rampage II Gene. It wouldn't reset unless I left the battery out for about half the day. Then it stopped saving changes and all that fun stuff. It sounds like the issues I was having, except mine was just I couldn't actually clear the CMOS. I sent it back to ASUS twice for repair. I would start by just using one stick then working your way up to see where it stops recognizing the RAM, could be a dead slot.

Yeah pulled battery/reset/jumped CMOS etc no go still same....

think I narrowed it down to the 2nd ram slot from cpu...pulled it out/run no change still 6gb being detected sounds like it died....just great....

Maybe some dust got in your CPU socket? I had an X58 Sabertooth with a seemingly dead ram slot, then I used compressed air to blow out the socket and it worked perfect.

Back