Device Records Your Shows After You Fall Asleep

HardOCP News

[H] News
Leave it to a couple teenagers to come up with something like this. :cool:

Wouldn't it be helpful, say, if a wristband could tell if you doze off while watching the TV, then automatically record the rest of the show? As it happens, two young tech prodigies have created exactly that. KipstR was developed by teenagers Ryan Oliver, 15, and Jonathan Kingsley, 14, students at Manchester Creative Studio, in conjunction with TV and broadband provider Virgin Media.

I see that practicality has gone out the window when it comes to hardware innovation. Let's make something just because nobody else has done it before!

Why the fuck would anybody actually need this? If you had something that could record shows, wouldn't have taped it to begin with?

It's also a good way to measure biological indicators to figure out what shows you like and get an idea of what you're thinking when you watch something. I have like no idea why Google didn't think of this first.

Put a sensor in there to measure movement, and you'll know what shows those teenagers really like...

I just bought a Jawbone UP24 for my daughter to help her track her sleep patterns and activity cause she had a stroke and the info might help her identify connections between or issues and her sleep, rest, exercise, and diet.

All they needed was an app that works with different devices that already do the sleep thing and have the app control the TV recording shit via the home wifi network.

My mom better not find out about this thing. She'll have the DVR full of stuff she will never watch in about a week.

But but... I fell asleep cos what I was watching is crap.
I dont want the damn thing recorded.

Dude, I recommended this to Tivo 10 years ago. A deadman's switch to start recording the show. My parents would love it.

It doesn't sound like this is meant for production, more along the lines of sponsored research project. Eventually I'm sure they'll get hired on to a real company developing a real product (like a sensor to alert a teenage driver they're not watching the road). Wearable health sensors looks like the next breaking market after smart phones, and like early smart phones they'll obviously invent all sorts of weird useless features with them.

As an aside, Tivo automatically buffers the last 30 mins of whatever you are watching, even if you don't explicitly have it set to record. I'm not sure if other DVR's have this feature, but it's handy when watching sports or news which is the only thing we sometimes watch live.

Why would I want to record something that is so boring it put me to sleep?

My Foxsat DVR/tuner allows you to go back hours as long as you dont change channels before doing it.
I havent found a limit on how many hours yet.

Who's watching live TV anyway? We never watch any shows that we like live. We DVR everything we watch or watch it on demand.

VCR HAHHAHAHHAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.com

I'm old and I could use this device, I don't see a need for this device for a teen unless they are horrendously stoned all the time.

Because it isn't 1989 anymore? :p
Lol. I remember setting the VCR to record things off Cinemax in the middle of the night. The damn VCR was so loud when starting to record (moving the rollers into position, etc), you could hear it upstairs through a closed door.

What a dumb idea. Tivo, DVR, piracy, Netflix, Amazon. Did I mention piracy? I don't even own a TV because piracy and Netflix supplants all.

Back