Yamaha RX-V677 7.2-CH Receiver + Klipsch Quintet 5.0 Speaker System $550 + Free Shipp

That receiver seems pretty basic and these speakers go on sale for $200.

Yamaha focuses on sound quality and not features. I have the RX-V673 and its an amazing receiver for music and movies. It doesn't have a lot of added apps, but my tv, bluray player, HTPC, and Amazon Fire TV Stick have me covered on that front. If you want excellent sound quality Yamaha is among the best choices available.

A quick independent review: http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-v677/review

Could be a good, better than pc/media speaker, but still compact, surround sound starter package. Throw in a sub and away you go.

Not bad at all.

I have a Technics (Panasonic) 5.1 receiver that is 15 years old driving a 5.1 Yamaha NS-P220 speaker set and an upgraded Yamaha YST-SW205 sub. The sound quality is absolutely amazing for a surround system that is budget-oriented. I've had zero reasons to upgrade, even after moving twice since I bought it and installing them in increasingly larger rooms with each move.

If I needed a set of speakers, I'd be all over this deal and add in a Klipsch Synergy sub.

Yamaha focuses on sound quality and not features. I have the RX-V673 and its an amazing receiver for music and movies. It doesn't have a lot of added apps, but my tv, bluray player, HTPC, and Amazon Fire TV Stick have me covered on that front. If you want excellent sound quality Yamaha is among the best choices available.

A quick independent review: http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-v677/review

I bought a Yamaha Avenge 3000 amp about 4 years ago, and it's been awesome. It was $1800 but well worth it.

I had an RX-V1400 (I think) I had for 10 years before that. Nothing wrong with it. Sold it because it didn't have HDMI.

I got the Aventage RX-A1020 last year around this time at Best Buy. It was a demo unit, and I got a great deal on it. It didn't have any of the accessories, but that stuff was pretty cheap. Definitely check Best Buy's demo stuff in your area for this stuff. Some of it is beat to hell, but some is perfect.

Back