North Korea Suspected In Sony Hack

HardOCP News

[H] News
The FBI says *shakes the Magic 8 Ball* North Korea may be involved in the Sony hack after all. Tune in tomorrow when a Ouija board tells the FBI something completely different. :rolleyes:

The primary suspects are members of an elite North Korean cyber-security unit known as "Bureau 121," the sources also confirmed today. But authorities have not ruled out that it could be an insider cooperating with some groups with a grudge against Sony, or an insider who helped the North Koreans.

And Sony just canceled the release. So if this were a publicity it couldn't have backfired worse.

The theaters boycotting this movie are anti-american in my opinion. Free speach and a sense of humor is how we have survived the hard times.

FBI changes their opinion a lot, as evidence comes in they often state something new as they should. This isn't really news.

Also Sony caving in is the dumbest thing ever, this will kill their reputation.

FBI changes their opinion a lot, as evidence comes in they often state something new as they should. This isn't really news.

Also Sony caving in is the dumbest thing ever, this will kill their reputation.
The question now is what did they have that Sony thought they couldn't weather.

Wasn't Chris Hemsworth available to hack them back?

The question now is what did they have that Sony thought they couldn't weather.

It wasn't anything like that, the data from the hack is already released. Sony feared they wouldn't make much money on the opening weekend due to movie theaters choosing to not run it so they stopped. Sony wasn't able to flex their muscles to get the movie played and instead laid down like a down playing dead.

It wasn't anything like that, the data from the hack is already released. Sony feared they wouldn't make much money on the opening weekend due to movie theaters choosing to not run it so they stopped. Sony wasn't able to flex their muscles to get the movie played and instead laid down like a down playing dead.
Some theatres would have run it and been packed by people out of curiosity. Now if it sucked that would have hurt it, but if it didn't it would be great viral advertising.

I'm still inclined to believe if it was blackmail the good stuff hadn't been released yet.

Some theatres would have run it and been packed by people out of curiosity. Now if it sucked that would have hurt it, but if it didn't it would be great viral advertising.

I'm still inclined to believe if it was blackmail the good stuff hadn't been released yet.

I don't really think it was, I'm sure Sony saw enough of the "big" movie theaters turn it down so they held off on playing it.

Sad, I was planning on going Christmas day.

The theaters boycotting this movie are anti-american in my opinion. Free speach and a sense of humor is how we have survived the hard times.

I don't think anyone boycotted the movie out of political correctness. It's due to the threat made by the hackers against viewers and theaters.

Of course I don't believe these cowards will actually bomb the theaters or anything like that, but it's no surprise that these businesses would rather not take the risk.

I cant believe they gave in to the hackers. If Sony showed the movie, would they be "hacked" to death? :rolleyes:
Giving in to the demands of these terrorists is ridiculous. Out of spite, I'd offer a discount to get as many people as possible to watch this.

Sony is going to regret giving in .. BIG TIME.

This will haunt that studio for ages unless they relent. Nearly everyone involved in Hollywood is on Twitter blasting Sony for doing so. I can't imagine this sits well with actors/producers/directors as far as setting a precedent.

If I had control over Sony I would reverse this bad choice immediately and not only offer it in theaters but I would offer it up on VOD day 1 if theater corporations still refused to show it. No fucking way would I let a fat cry baby from North Korea take over when and how I launch my property in Hollywood.

The worst part is you know that terror groups around the world are going to attempt the same feats now for all kinds of movies they deem "offensive" (so all of them...).

Terrible fucking decision.

Don't mess with Baby Faced Kim Jong Un even typing this could result in a hacking attempt.

If it were proved that North Korea was responsible for the hack,it could be considered an act of state supported terrorism,considering the threat issued of attacks against theaters that played the movie. If they were insane enough to make good on those threats,it would have to be considered an act of war.

If it were proved that North Korea was responsible for the hack,it could be considered an act of state supported terrorism,considering the threat issued of attacks against theaters that played the movie. If they were insane enough to make good on those threats,it would have to be considered an act of war.

That accusation in reality means nothing these days. Every major country is guilty of state sponsored terrorism via cyber warfare. It wouldn't even matter at the barging table either since North Korea really only needs China to continue to exist.

No UN sanction would make a difference (I believe there are already two against them). No Presidential "call to arms" would rally anymore opponents (which is virtually everyone in the western world).

In reality Sony has effectively done the most damage. They've opened the flood gates for a new avenue of censorship via outside influence of political and religious ideology. Which will make it even harder to get movies with substance concerning modern topics that hit on sensitive nerves to get made in Hollywood. The effect of this was actually immediate with Steve Carrel's comedy/drama about North Korea being canceled before it could even start filming.

That accusation in reality means nothing these days. Every major country is guilty of state sponsored terrorism via cyber warfare. It wouldn't even matter at the barging table either since North Korea really only needs China to continue to exist.

No UN sanction would make a difference (I believe there are already two against them). No Presidential "call to arms" would rally anymore opponents (which is virtually everyone in the western world).

In reality Sony has effectively done the most damage. They've opened the flood gates for a new avenue of censorship via outside influence of political and religious ideology. Which will make it even harder to get movies with substance concerning modern topics that hit on sensitive nerves to get made in Hollywood. The effect of this was actually immediate with Steve Carrel's comedy/drama about North Korea being canceled before it could even start filming.
The number one job of government is to provide security against foreign entities especially if state sponsored. Its why countries came into existence in the first place. Doesn't matter whether we have the moral highground or not on the issue of cyber warfare.

Seems odd we have absolutely no recourse.

Its unfortunate Sony caved, but they are ultimately a foreign owned company and I have to meet a Japanese owned American company that could take a dump without a call to Japan. So a decision this big came from outside the country. I really don't expect them to take a bullet to deter further attacks.

Basically its open season on US based companies by foreign entities. Most companies will buckle before it even gets as far as it did with Sony. The other result will be corporations feeling they are on their own and hiring Blackwater cyber equivalent (which may be Backwater itself) to protect themselves. Far more than they do now.

The number one job of government is to provide security against foreign entities especially if state sponsored. Its why countries came into existence in the first place. Doesn't matter whether we have the moral highground or not on the issue of cyber warfare.

Its unfortunate Sony caved, but they are ultimately a foreign owned company and I have to meet a Japanese owned American company that could take a dump without a call to Japan. So a decision this big came from outside the country. I really don't expect them to take a bullet to deter further attacks.

Basically its open season on US based companies by foreign entities. Most companies will buckle before it even gets as far as it did with Sony. The other result will be corporations feeling they are on their own and hiring Blackwater cyber equivalent (which may be Backwater itself) to protect themselves. Far more than they do now.

Its actually kind of surprising to see Sony cave. And they will take a bullet happily ...if it means better business. Which this move simply does not. Japan also cares little for foreign politics unless it impacts their businesses. I've been to Japan and have of course concluded business there. Frankly corporate culture rules with an iron fist there and those concerns are put forward before anything else. Sony Japan will turn this around in some fashion and likely through VOD.

By having such powerful headlines the past week or so and even having the Presidential impact I would be shocked if Sony Japan didn't capitalize upon this. This movie has such a stigma there is no way it doesn't get cashed in.

I think the most interesting thing out of this is that North Korea has a "hacking" division called "bureau 121" that the FBI currently knows very little about. I fully expect them to hack the fucking shit of out of North Korea now that they've tipped their hand. North Korea should have simply hired a merc black hat group out of China to do all of this and then washed their hands of it. By taking this approach they are getting far more bold with the West.

This Sony hacking event could mark the beginning of a more intense cyber warfare. Which is disturbing.

The FBI says *shakes the Magic 8 Ball* North Korea may be involved in the Sony hack after all. Tune in tomorrow when a Ouija board tells the FBI something completely different. :rolleyes:

Have you ever owned an Magic 8 ball and hated when anyone would pick it up and start shaking it? I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that knows you're not supposed to shake it because basically everyone does. lol! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put it pass NK to employ some black hat hackers out of China to do the deed. This sounds more plausible than NK doing it themselves.

I really want to see this movie now. For now I'll watch Team America.

AMERICA!!! FUCK YA!

I know. Same here.

As with anything, make it forbidden, and it becomes popular. Sony should be "hacked" again and this time have the film appear in HD on bittorrent coincidentally

I wouldn't put it pass NK to employ some black hat hackers out of China to do the deed. This sounds more plausible than NK doing it themselves.

Contracted hackers, definitely makes sense. North Korea probably still using Pentium 3's as their main gaming rigs :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek:

From what images I've seen out of NK, many don't have electricity much less a computer.

Contracted hackers, definitely makes sense. North Korea probably still using Pentium 3's as their main gaming rigs :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek:

That accusation in reality means nothing these days. Every major country is guilty of state sponsored terrorism via cyber warfare.

The difference this time is that they threaten to go beyond cyber warfare and commit actual acts of violence against our country. I doubt China would be foolish enough to risk war over this,but with the nutcase running North Korea,anything is possible.

That's retarded for 2 reasons:

1. This was the best sounding comedy in a long while
2. North Korean government runs on 486XTs let alone having the ability to hack a billion-dollar company

You know Blackwater isn't in business anymore right? Certainly there are new companies with different names, but Blackwater itself is gone.

Sounds like it's time to start a private-owned army so that companies can get protection from this nonsense when governments won't step in.

Sounds like it's time to start a private-owned army so that companies can get protection from this nonsense when governments won't step in.

And what would a private army do about a computer hack from a country with one of the largest standing armies that also has nuclear weapons?

And what would a private army do about a computer hack from a country with one of the largest standing armies that also has nuclear weapons?

Kicks some ass? They seem to do alright in Deus Ex and CoD Advanced Warfare =P

You know Blackwater isn't in business anymore right? Certainly there are new companies with different names, but Blackwater itself is gone.
I always see you spouting off like you know so much and everyone else is wrong. You just rant so much people walk (or run) away. Anyway, you're wrong. Blackwater is still in business, shouldn't you have known this, right?

They just renamed the company, it is the very same company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi

The difference this time is that they threaten to go beyond cyber warfare and commit actual acts of violence against our country. I doubt China would be foolish enough to risk war over this,but with the nutcase running North Korea,anything is possible.

What? China hacks the US more than any other country every day , literally ever day..

The Government has even openly spoken about this while the Chinese PM was visiting earlier this year.

There was even a recent article (can't find it hmm) about how China could actually disable our electrical grid system and that they've gained over the years quite an adept skill level of hacking.

The only way North Korea could even attack South Korea with a nuc is to put it on a truck or a ship and drive it there. They haven't figured out how to make one small enough to put on their missiles yet nor a missile big enough to carry the ones they have been able to successfully detonate.

And that really big Army of theirs has the strategic reach of a quadriplegic.

I always see you spouting off like you know so much and everyone else is wrong. You just rant so much people walk (or run) away. Anyway, you're wrong. Blackwater is still in business, shouldn't you have known this, right?

They just renamed the company, it is the very same company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi

So read again, didn't I just say the same thing a different way?

Certainly there are new companies with different names, but Blackwater itself is gone.

Read this and then claim they are the very same company with just a name change. They were bought out by USTC Holdings, the previous owner has no connection anymore, they have an entirely new Board of Directors, and changed their company name twice. I think all that has had an impact and you don't go through all that unless you think there is something about the company that can be salvaged.

The only way North Korea could even attack South Korea with a nuc is to put it on a truck or a ship and drive it there. They haven't figured out how to make one small enough to put on their missiles yet nor a missile big enough to carry the ones they have been able to successfully detonate.

Yet. You keep saying "yet"; Is there anything to stop them from developing the technology further? There was a time when all they could do was crash rockets into the ocean and have them explode; Not anymore. There was a time when they had never detonated a nuclear weapon at all; not anymore. Right now they can't deliver a nuclear payload via one of their rockets for a number of reasons...what stops that from progressing the same way the previous two scenarios did?

So, what's really stopping us from assasinating all the top brass and leaders of NK, and letting the south take over?

I wouldn't say it's more of Sony's decision rather than the individual movie theatres. A lot of theatres decided to cancel their viewings after the threats, and this in turn caused a cascade effect which Sony had to respond to.

Back