The Crew Performance Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
The Crew Performance Video Card Review - The Crew is a new racing game that takes place in a massively multiplayer open-world environment like no other game. It supports some NVIDIA GameWorks technologies, and we will see how it performs on no less than eight different video card combinations to gauge real world gaming performance across the board.

That said, great review. Funny to see those lines pegged at max on the first graph of each page. Usually you guys provide some image quality sample images in these pieces. Any reason why they weren't here?
Also, did you experience any difference in driving physics/lag/experience with different levels of graphics? I've found that in some games (DIRT2 at times) higher levels of graphics have affected input lag to an extent, or seemed to play with the physics a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I wrong or are you only testing Ubisoft's games? They don't make good PC games, all they do are poor console ports. There are plenty of games out there that could be tested here. And it's not like the Crew is a well reviewed game on any of the platforms it was released on.

Am I wrong or are you only testing Ubisoft's games? They don't make good PC games, all they do are poor console ports. There are plenty of games out there that could be tested here. And it's not like the Crew is a well reviewed game on any of the platforms it was released on.

You are wrong.

I agree. I don't see the point in this review. I was hoping for a DA:I review from the [H]. I think that as soon as you saw the locked frame rate you would have skipped this one. I know you guys say you review titles based on interest and even hype, but I didn't think that this game had a lot of interest or hype behind it. By contrast it seemed like there was a lot of interest in Dragon Age for PC.

I do hope you guys do a full review of Project Cars when it is released. Even though it is being released across all platforms it looks and sounds to be the first title in a long time that will push graphics technology forward.

Just a little shotgun criticism. I still love everything you guys do.

There have been several popular games from Ubisoft released recently. I'm not above any game, I give it a fair chance and try it out. This game in question is on Nvidias choose your path list, out of 3 games, it's our duty to see if it's worthy and report that information to you guys. I don't chose games by publisher, each game to me is an individual entity.

I am constantly looking to improve our gaming suite. If there is any game I havnt looked at yet it is only because I havnt had time yet.

This game looks more like an XBOX 360 or Playstation 3 port, rather than a next generation port for PC and console.

Having seen the PS4 port I'd say the PC looks almost the same. So it is indeed a next gen console port. Which is not saying much anyway.

I don't mind the 60FPS limit much. I rather have it than getting high 80's and low 30's spikes . At least its stable.

The Crew doesn't try to be a racing simulation. Its more akin to the NFS series. I do expect much more from Project Cars

Having seen the PS4 port I'd say the PC looks almost the same. So it is indeed a next gen console port. Which is not saying much anyway.

I don't mind the 60FPS limit much. I rather have it than getting high 80's and low 30's spikes . At least its stable.

The Crew doesn't try to be a racing simulation. Its more akin to the NFS series. I do expect much more from Project Cars

Exactly. When it comes to racing games, consistency is the key. Having a framerate drop as you are negotiating an obstacle or tight curve is the last thing you want. For us xB1 owners, Forza Horizon 2 is proving to be the game that the disaster Test Drive Unlimited1/2 should have been.

Gonna suggest Dragon Age: Inquisition here again. Lots of GPU options, supports DX11/Mantle, very demanding game for both CPU and GPU configurations, and it's a popular AAA title that is also a well-reviewed game.

Plus it's not another FPS title :)

Thanks for the review - and confirming it's a cheap console port, Ubisoft for ya I guess.

No shocker seen an orange Camaro, considering Steven owns an ancient one

Thanks Kyle for the honest review. I was hoping this would be a good replacement for my Burnout Paradise driving, but it doesn't look like the hit I would have hoped it would be.

Oh well, I might still try it, maybe in a few months they will do some updates that help out the graphics, to enable some of the newer and popular graphical features that other games have.

Good read and thank you for calling out the pulling of sketchy crap with vendor agnostic features again. This is not the first time it's happened with Ubisoft and Nvidia, this is not even the first time they've done things behind the scenes against AMD.

As for a future article it would be more interesting to see what you could get out of something new and exciting, the Fox Engine Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes coming in a few days, than an existing game on an existing engine.

Why would any developer believe that a 30 or 60FPS cap would be acceptable even in a PC port?

Gonna suggest Dragon Age: Inquisition here again. Lots of GPU options, supports DX11/Mantle, very demanding game for both CPU and GPU configurations, and it's a popular AAA title that is also a well-reviewed game.

Plus it's not another FPS title :)

Seems like an intuitive choice, but it's the same engine as BF4 which, performance wise, is well understood and represented.

That being said, you can safely assume any Ubisoft game that is ever made will be terribly optimized and/or bug ridden. That might change at some point, wouldn't hold my breath anymore.

Seems like an intuitive choice, but it's the same engine as BF4 which, performance wise, is well understood and represented.

That being said, you can safely assume any Ubisoft game that is ever made will be terribly optimized and/or bug ridden. That might change at some point, wouldn't hold my breath anymore.
Performance in DA:I is nowhere near BF4. My system will push >100fps pretty much constantly in BF4 fully maxed out, 2560x1440 4X MSAA. I get an average of mid 60s fps at 2560x1440, 2X MSAA in Dragon Age Inquisition.

It is the same engine but Dragon Age is significantly more demanding.

For a Ubisoft game, The Crew is actually pretty good. SLI works out the gate, no game breaking bugs or random stuttering or crashing out of nowhere. It's far from perfect but the existing bugs don't diminish the experience.

If you can get past the 60 FPS lock, it's actually pretty addicting.

Has Ubisoft given any sort of reasoning behind the 60fps cap? I have seen all sorts of weird game systems tied to frame rate - e.g. Dark Souls 2's weapon decay is tied to frame rate so your weapons decay faster at 60fps - and physics systems tied to FPS aren't uncommon. Still a dumb design decision for a racing game. But better than "because we are lazy".

Thanks for your hard work on this. Can I suggest that on page 2 you slightly elaborate by expanding the acronyms as you introduce them? So the first time you mention MSAA you'd put '(Multi Sample Anti Aliasing)' after it.

Awesome review. Good job.

Sounds like a game to get when it is in the bargain bin and kids come over to play games.

I was looking forward to this game then heard there was a review embargo till release day, which usually means the game is sub par and they don't want negative reviews impacting sales.

Can you remove the 60FPS through the INI or something?
The game's physics are tied to the tick rate instead of time delta, so even if you could it would end up like the original Quake 3 or more recently Need for Speed Rivals.

Back