Thirteen Revelations From The Sony Hack

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's amazing how many skeletons Sony had in its closet. I'll bet other studios are ramping up security after this hack.

Too much information: Sony's human-resources department had detailed medical records of three dozen employees and their family members. One internal memo revealed a staff member's child with special needs, including the child's type of treatment. The memo talked about the employee's appeal of insurance provider Aetna's denial of thousands of dollars in medical claims.

One would have thought they would have done that after one of the other attacks. but nope.

Not really surprised by some of that stuff. The female paid less actually was already somewhat known. There was a graph of how much grumpy cat supposedly made compared to other female actresses and I was surprised then at how little some of the actors and actresses on that list made, however it was obvious that females were just being paid less in general.

I'm fairly certain they will. Too many of the higher ups who normally would ignore requests for money/time to fix these sort of things would be afraid of their things getting out.

So I image right now lots of emails and other things being deleted, and gobs of money being thrown at shoring up their security. They don't want their crap to come to light.

the medical records stuff may be normal from previous insurance plans (before the healthcare law), disability benefits or short term disability claims. For instance employees may choose to get pre-approval to use short term disability if their child has an illness, therefore hr may have that info on file.

Hey, at least they don't seem to keep the non-cooked books online to leak ... ever since they started paying people with a percentage of the profit there have been debates on the actual costs of movies and what the true profit is (since the studios always claim it is low to nonexistent ... even for big blockbusters)

How about that the media which will burn people's careers for making politically incorrect statements feel they should not be held to the same standard.

I bet they won't

My first thought. Perhaps a few will, but the majority will soldier on ignorant of what may come, then blame underfunded, under supported IT folks when it goes wrong.

Oh no men are paid more than women!!! Feminist to arms!!!

Looking at the American Hustle movie, 50% of the profits of that movie go to the main people in it. And yeah some get more than others, it happens. However you can't argue that it's equal work though. I'm sure Adam Sandler got paid more money than any female co-star he worked with on any of his crapfests too.

It's amazing how many skeletons Sony had...

Not sure why that would be amazing. I'm pretty sure that Sony has an entire storage unit complex entirely rented out with skeleton's packed into each unit to the ceiling. Just because some hackers came in and opened the first unit inside the facility door and a couple skulls happened to roll off the top and out of the facility so the public at large could see them,doesn't mean we've seen anywhere near all the skeletons they have stored further back.

You cant define wage discrimination in the entertainment industry. Jennifer made more money than any of the male talent in The Hunger Games, where's the outrage over Woody Harrelson? Bale/Cooper made more than her because they are better talent.

As long as Sony has no part in it, hopefully Marvel does get the ok to use Spiderman in the phase 3 projects.

You cant define wage discrimination in the entertainment industry. Jennifer made more money than any of the male talent in The Hunger Games, where's the outrage over Woody Harrelson? Bale/Cooper made more than her because they are better talent.

Well I'm going to take the side of the misogynistic pig here, and say that I wouldn't be surprised if most if not all gender wage inequalities numbers come about due to jobs where salary is a negotiated position, and not so much for 90+% of the jobs out there that have a salary/rate based upon either experience and/or education/training.

" already think i may have made the worst decisions of my career."

No, the worst decision is having a shitty network security so that I'm reading this right now, laughing at you.

Hey, remember the Valve hacks? With the HL2 leaks? That was awesome.

For a long time you could look up servers and play what is now essentially g-mod, not that I own the damned thing, but it was cool... then some counter-strike stuff was unlocked.

I remember making an entire map that actually used physics, pick-up hockey sticks, and a mechanical-ish state device that kept score somewhere out the rink.

ANYWAY... maybe instead of stinky emails we'll get whatever state HL3 is in currently; not that it could possibly deliver to the current hype-train, but who cares?

The fact that people even care or somehow feel like its justified to be outraged over Sony e-mails is silly.

Back