Official Elite: Dangerous Launch Trailer Released

Had this for C64 and for the time, it was pretty damn awesome.

If I remember right, my friend and I also had the Apple 2C version and we would sneak it to class and play it in class after school or during lunch .. details are fuzzy but year. . cool game

Related: Elite: Dangerous offline single player mode axed, refunds offered

Disappointing but not the end of the world necessarily.

Shit-tier marketing. None of that is game footage, and to me its like seeing a fat girl take a picture of herself from really close holding the camera crazy high with her head raised... not confidence inspiring, and if anything makes me think she's a land-whale trying to hide her double-chin and 45" waist.

Whoever was responsible for creating this trailer has dishonored the franchise and should commit ritual Japanese suicide to redeem themselves.

Meh. There are a hundred beta videos for this game on youtube that make me more interested in it than this trailer. Still going to buy, the actual game looks good.

Seriously, sounds like when my hype level was off the charts for Mechwarrior 5 and then found out it was just another Free To Play MMO. If they just axed Singleplayer in this game, sounds like they are going the same route. Will skip on this one.

I agree: This close they need to be putting out real game footage.

Seriously, sounds like when my hype level was off the charts for Mechwarrior 5 and then found out it was just another Free To Play MMO. If they just axed Singleplayer in this game, sounds like they are going the same route. Will skip on this one.

Agreed. Multi-player games are of no interest. Growing trend. Gimme a good single player with storyline.

So ELITE is basically...what....a space dogfight simulator with crap WWE-style AlternaMetal for its soundtrack? This game won the hearts and minds by being a Han Solo simulator, plain and simple, on the C64 back in the day.......

I'm sure the game has merit, but this generic trailer blows.

honest elite launch trailer can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZeO-4F45WM

lol, and it's so true. I actually saw some footage of this game a couple months ago and was momentarily impressed to see a new space shooter... then I went and looked for some footage of the "action" portion of the game and there was nothing. No dog fighting, just big slow capital ship combat, and even that looked boring because it's just ships lumbering around shooting lasers at eachother while FTL has more going on during combat between ships.

Star citizen at least has dog fighting... but I'm waiting till that's an actual cohesive game instead of a couple "modules", one of which being nothing more than a 3d gallery(hangar module) for your paid DLC(all I ever seen on their site is more crap to buy for a game that isn't finished yet...)

i am just hoping that one of the two games is awesome. I will say that after i pointed out the game, several of my online friends have disappeared into it. The voice command looks next level at least.

Seems like the game is good from those that have played it. However, trailers tend to be full of fluff. Kind of like the Star Citizen ones for the various ships; although those are even worse. :p

lol, and it's so true. I actually saw some footage of this game a couple months ago and was momentarily impressed to see a new space shooter... then I went and looked for some footage of the "action" portion of the game and there was nothing. No dog fighting, just big slow capital ship combat, and even that looked boring because it's just ships lumbering around shooting lasers at eachother while FTL has more going on during combat between ships.

Star citizen at least has dog fighting... but I'm waiting till that's an actual cohesive game instead of a couple "modules", one of which being nothing more than a 3d gallery(hangar module) for your paid DLC(all I ever seen on their site is more crap to buy for a game that isn't finished yet...)

There is clearly dogfighting.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Isinona/videos

Did you even watch any of those videos? This is the closest thing I can find resembling a dogfight, claiming that it's highspeed and frankly, it's slow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G7PeAV8uXU

Here's another slow example of combat, where the asteroids only seem to exist in a thin plane as a ring around a planet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukRMCkaPfkc

Compare that to star citizen's dogfighting module where there are actual objects to fly between, evade projectiles, worry about hitting, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHvBQoDZcY

Yes, I'm well aware that space is mostly empty. But that doesn't make for good gameplay.

Doh, can't edit. I forgot to mention, that of course the dogfighting in Elite: Dangerous appears to be absolutely nothing like the trailer. That trailer makes it look like something like x-wing vs tie fighter when in reality... there's a lot of nothing going on.

Did you even watch any of those videos? This is the closest thing I can find resembling a dogfight, claiming that it's highspeed and frankly, it's slow.

Here's another slow example of combat, where the asteroids only seem to exist in a thin plane as a ring around a planet.

Compare that to star citizen's dogfighting module where there are actual objects to fly between, evade projectiles, worry about hitting, etc.

Yes, I'm well aware that space is mostly empty. But that doesn't make for good gameplay.

Yes, I watched all of them, and several other users videos. It looks fun to me. There are several fights in there.

Of course it looks nothing like the trailer, the trailer is terrible.

Yes, I watched all of them, and several other users videos. It looks fun to me. There are several fights in there.

Of course it looks nothing like the trailer, the trailer is terrible.

Apparently trailers, long hated by the gaming community for being crap, are in this case the only way to judge a game.

;)

Your first video is from a year ago, the 2nd from 5 months ago. I don't play this game, but if you're going to bash it how about you not use alpha stuff?

Your first video is from a year ago, the 2nd from 5 months ago. I don't play this game, but if you're going to bash it how about you not use alpha stuff?

The second video was from the beta, not the alpha. Additionally, I'm not the one who even posted the link to those videos, that was LeninGHOLA(and all but one of those videos are from beta or alpha builds). I simply pointed out a couple of videos from the link he specified that appeared to have something going on than randomly flying around in an expanse of nothingness. It's not as if combat didn't exist in the game while it was in beta(or alpha), if you think it's improved by leaps and bounds beyond the beta footage I posted a link to, then where's the example? LeninGHOLA couldn't be bothered to do more than post a link to someone's youtube channel showing hours of footage of nothing happening in the game.

From that same youtube channel, here's the latest video from the "gamma" build a week ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s11iSqywU4

Nothing, follow a ship for a bit, cut to another clip of nothing, find a ship and follow it around a little, shoot at a ship not even firing back or really trying to evade for a bit, buncha of nothing, looking at a map, bunch of nothing, then 4 minutes to dock a ship at a space station.

Yeah, that's real exciting :rolleyes:

Ha ha! Nice smoke trails in space....derp:rolleyes:

Rockets can leave smoke trails in space. Even though there's no oxygen in space, rocket fuel has its own oxidizing agent. The smoke is created by the materials used to propel the rocket, so if oxygen is added -inside- the rocket, then nothing unbelievable here.

The graphics for the trailer and the music are ugly. It's hard to understand why they didn't include in-game graphics... They could have shown the rings around planets, asteroid fields, supercruise jumps etc . The game is very pretty.

The graphics for the trailer and the music are ugly. It's hard to understand why they didn't include in-game graphics... They could have shown the rings around planets, asteroid fields, supercruise jumps etc . The game is very pretty.
They tried to make it look like a fast paced arcade style action-packed shooter too, and that's not what it is.

I still want to play the actual game, but the marketing... fail.

Seems like the game is good from those that have played it. However, trailers tend to be full of fluff. Kind of like the Star Citizen ones for the various ships; although those are even worse. :p

Haha to be fair those ship commercials are suppose to be the game equivalent of car commercials. They are trailered as if yours in game and companies are trying to sell you their ships and I think they do an amazing job at it lol. I have high hopes for star citizen, put my max I will spend on a single game to support it (about $150)

The second video was from the beta, not the alpha. Additionally, I'm not the one who even posted the link to those videos, that was LeninGHOLA(and all but one of those videos are from beta or alpha builds). I simply pointed out a couple of videos from the link he specified that appeared to have something going on than randomly flying around in an expanse of nothingness. It's not as if combat didn't exist in the game while it was in beta(or alpha), if you think it's improved by leaps and bounds beyond the beta footage I posted a link to, then where's the example? LeninGHOLA couldn't be bothered to do more than post a link to someone's youtube channel showing hours of footage of nothing happening in the game.

From that same youtube channel, here's the latest video from the "gamma" build a week ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s11iSqywU4

Nothing, follow a ship for a bit, cut to another clip of nothing, find a ship and follow it around a little, shoot at a ship not even firing back or really trying to evade for a bit, buncha of nothing, looking at a map, bunch of nothing, then 4 minutes to dock a ship at a space station.

Yeah, that's real exciting :rolleyes:

There were a dozen + engagements in those videos, not to mention quite a bit of mechanics explanations. If it's not your tempo, I get that. It was never meant to be a dogfighter sim. it's a space exploration, trading and combat sim.

I do have more expectation from Star Citizen, and the hours I've spent in that game have been quite good, but I really dig what these guys are doing with this new Elite game.

There were a dozen + engagements in those videos, not to mention quite a bit of mechanics explanations. If it's not your tempo, I get that. It was never meant to be a dogfighter sim. it's a space exploration, trading and combat sim.

I do have more expectation from Star Citizen, and the hours I've spent in that game have been quite good, but I really dig what these guys are doing with this new Elite game.

And again, those engagements are boring, slow, and take place in bland environments. Yes, it's not a dog-fighting sim, and those bits of combat are barely dogfighting. But the game appears to be marketed as an action packed dog fighting(or at least a large portion of it) game, yet that's clearly not the case based off of any of the actual gameplay footage. Apparently no one told the marketing guys for Elite: Dangerous that their game was closer to Eve Online, than Rogue Squadron.

No single player? WTF. I do not play MMO's.
I was looking forward to this one. I'll read over some reviews to see if I can tune out the other people or not. I do not have time for the normal MMO stuff like guilds, raids, etc.
I know a few people playing EVE - sounds like a good game, just not for me.

I was looking forward to this one. I'll read over some reviews to see if I can tune out the other people or not. I do not have time for the normal MMO stuff like guilds, raids, etc.
I just want a modern version of Privateer.

http://fandomania.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/game-090.jpg

I don't see it being multiplayer only as a big problem personally, as long as they can keep the griefing under control, where some retard in a big ship that has his panties in a twist doesn't block a base entrance or ram smaller ships and so forth.

Louie CK should compare the trailer to the actual game, there probably hasn't been any show yet that would have such a frequent stream of SHIT, SHIT SHITSHIT.

And again, those engagements are boring, slow, and take place in bland environments. Yes, it's not a dog-fighting sim, and those bits of combat are barely dogfighting. But the game appears to be marketed as an action packed dog fighting(or at least a large portion of it) game, yet that's clearly not the case based off of any of the actual gameplay footage. Apparently no one told the marketing guys for Elite: Dangerous that their game was closer to Eve Online, than Rogue Squadron.

Yea, I thought we already discussed that.

Doh, can't edit. I forgot to mention, that of course the dogfighting in Elite: Dangerous appears to be absolutely nothing like the trailer. That trailer makes it look like something like x-wing vs tie fighter when in reality... there's a lot of nothing going on.

kinda like a real dogfight

you can play in solo mode
but with 200+billion systems with 150,000 populated running in to other players out side the core systems and events is unlikely
the devs stated they want running in to another player to be rare

you can play in solo mode
but with 200+billion systems with 150,000 populated running in to other players out side the core systems and events is unlikely
the devs stated they want running in to another player to be rare
Lots of NPCs though I assume. Otherwise they might as well model this to sit on your dashboard.
Wilson.png
Ha, ha Wilson, you're so sarcastic!

I love spacefairing games but I stay clear of pure MMOs.
I like single player mainly because I don't have the time to invest to be super great at it.
I game a few hrs a week at best now a days. Sometimes it is a few hrs a month. When you encounter players, that is pretty much all they do; forget it.

I don't understand why they had to come out with such a silly marketing clip that doesn't represent the game at all, it's not like the game needs false advert to sell itself, it looks like lotsa fun as is. Stupid marketing BS.

I'm especially interested in the Occulus rift support, I been reading about it and it's apparently amazing, the game's very well suited for VR gaming it seems.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...dangerous-amazing-and-impossible-to-describe/

Stupid marketing BS.
We're an engineering firm, and our marketing peeps are a bunch of chicks that go drinking together after work and have no engineering experience whatsoever, and wouldn't even be able to change a car tire between the lot of them.

I'm guessing something similar happened, or worse they outsourced marketing.

I love spacefairing games but I stay clear of pure MMOs.
I like single player mainly because I don't have the time to invest to be super great at it.
I game a few hrs a week at best now a days. Sometimes it is a few hrs a month. When you encounter players, that is pretty much all they do; forget it.

solo or group mode
only you and NPCs
your still connected to the persistent galaxy and economy wile in it
but even in open once you get out of core systems you dont see other players much

Back