Cool Video of the Day

He was using a controller that looks kind of like a game console controller. :)

He wasn't playing a game, he was calibrating the turret!!! They frown on playing games in the military, ask Tony Stark when he spotted that one guy playing Gattaca on the Air Ship.

Looked like he was using a modified Xbox controller

yep, the joystick that most people have similarity with. they also used keyboards and monitors too.

These super-advance anti-ship missiles don't look so scary any more...

These super-advance anti-ship missiles don't look so scary any more...

Dunno man...it's not like that thing can rapidly engage targets that are super evasive. It seems to require some time to cook the target as well.

For determined foes countermeasures will probably be dairly inexpensive. Ablative skin. Hyper-sonic anti-ship missiles. Super maneuverable missiles that go bonkers on terminal guidance. Anime style missile spam systems (made in Japan).

:D

When the opfor fires 300 missles at your fleet (or some other huge number) and even a single missle is enough to outright destroy a ship or incapacitate it.... i'll take the offense over the defense any day.

Big surface fleets are a walking disaster, AEGIS missle systems or fancy lasers aside.

Looked hokey to me. It wasn't causing explosions so much as setting off explosives on the targets.

I could definitely see this thing in a theater were the enemy enjoys hoisting random rockets / mortars / other flying explosives at you.

Range may be an issue though. I wonder what the optimal range is on this thing.

Looked hokey to me. It wasn't causing explosions so much as setting off explosives on the targets.

Might be, but also depends great on the laser used.
Short pulsed lasers tend to explosively vaporize the surface they hit (not as good for deep penetration but can be very deadly on soft targets - missiles aircraft, etc) reflective surfaces are almost useless defense vs this. These are harder to shrink to "portable" size at the energy's needed but they exist.
Long pulse needs to hold for a time on target to dump the needed energy, needs excellent tracking. Surface can play a role at lower energy's. Probably what this is at the current stage of development but that can change quickly now as solidstate lasers are getting to much higher energies and Femtosecond, picosecond and nanosecond lasers are becoming more common place (and higher energy) in scientific endeavors.

When the opfor fires 300 missles at your fleet (or some other huge number) and even a single missle is enough to outright destroy a ship or incapacitate it.... i'll take the offense over the defense any day.

Big surface fleets are a walking disaster, AEGIS missle systems or fancy lasers aside.

The point of the laser defense is to cook off the one-off missiles heading your way without needing to burn a half-million-dollar SM-2 each. Obviously, if facing an enemy that can lob 300 missiles at you (so: China, Russia, that's it), you are using your SM-2s, because you are fighting World War 3.

Things that don't have any explosive components are usually pretty low threat to surface ships. I mean, yeah, it's useless against spears chucked at you, but...uhhh...okay. You can just ignore those.

Missiles? Aircraft? Speedboats? All of these things have plenty of 'explodey' parts you can detonate remotely this way.

Dunno man...it's not like that thing can rapidly engage targets that are super evasive. It seems to require some time to cook the target as well.

For determined foes countermeasures will probably be dairly inexpensive. Ablative skin. Hyper-sonic anti-ship missiles. Super maneuverable missiles that go bonkers on terminal guidance. Anime style missile spam systems (made in Japan).

:D

Well, that's because you didn't see the full range and speed of motion that these things possess and can articulate at. Remember, it is targeting the head of missile at a far distance away as it bobs up and down on water while still maintaining positional accuracy and keeping it there. That's pretty damned phenomenal in my opinion.

It's a laser beam. Not a laser BOOM!!! :D

If you can punch holes into explosives or through people that control said explosives. It's still a win. The fact that you don't see them evaporate might be a little bit of a downer.

My guess is that they make the test somewhat repeatable but cheap. Sure you could blow a hole into the engine and cause a lot more damage and a bigger explosion maybe, but then you need to buy a few hundred or thousands boats to keep testing. instead you build something that can stand up to small explosions, put some small explosives on there and ignite them as a demonstration / testing. I was actually surprised they shot down a glider at the end as that would be something they would have to replace.

GEEKS ARE TAKING OVER!!!

On the Internet... and now on the battlefield.
COntrol of the world at their fingertips... almost literally.

The point of the laser defense is to cook off the one-off missiles heading your way without needing to burn a half-million-dollar SM-2 each. Obviously, if facing an enemy that can lob 300 missiles at you (so: China, Russia, that's it), you are using your SM-2s, because you are fighting World War 3.

I'm from Israel, and Hezbollah have some pretty impressive arsenal of many different types of missiles supplied to them by Iran, which gets its' regular supply by the "former" USSR. Then there's north Korea and other friendly organizations and sub-groups in hellholes around our planet.

There are many countries and organizations that are able to lob large volleys of missiles beside China and Russia, and we learned the hard way that you don't really need super high tech weapon systems to fire 300 missiles at the same time, you just need 300 low tech guys with a relatively cheap shoulder mounted launchers popping out of nowhere and firing at the same time.

Don't ever underestemiate your enemy.

where is the iPhone? I want to see that in slow-mo

I'm from Israel, and Hezbollah have some pretty impressive arsenal of many different types of missiles supplied to them by Iran, which gets its' regular supply by the "former" USSR. Then there's north Korea and other friendly organizations and sub-groups in hellholes around our planet.

There are many countries and organizations that are able to lob large volleys of missiles beside China and Russia, and we learned the hard way that you don't really need super high tech weapon systems to fire 300 missiles at the same time, you just need 300 low tech guys with a relatively cheap shoulder mounted launchers popping out of nowhere and firing at the same time.

Don't ever underestemiate your enemy.

Ummm...do you really think a Navy vessel will let 300 small boats all get close enough for a guy to stand up with a shoulder held rocket and fire it?

Sure, groups like HezzbAllah have large number of dumb rockets they can fire - but they have trouble even hitting a city, let alone actually hitting a ship in the ocean. No fear of them - the odd one whose trajectory shows it will hit the ship is the one they bother to shoot down. Then they laugh the salvo of smart missiles and lay waste to HezzbAllah's strongholds.

Ummm...do you really think a Navy vessel will let 300 small boats all get close enough for a guy to stand up with a shoulder held rocket and fire it?

Sure, groups like HezzbAllah have large number of dumb rockets they can fire - but they have trouble even hitting a city, let alone actually hitting a ship in the ocean. No fear of them - the odd one whose trajectory shows it will hit the ship is the one they bother to shoot down. Then they laugh the salvo of smart missiles and lay waste to HezzbAllah's strongholds.

You're correct in the context of a naval engagement. But nothing says this weapon has to stay on a ship. Mount it on a truck near the Gaza strip.

I suspect you need that ships nuclear reactor to power that laser. It may not work as well on a 12v truck battery. :)

I suspect you need that ships nuclear reactor to power that laser. It may not work as well on a 12v truck battery. :)
Only carriers and submarines are nuclear powered nowadays, really. This laser is only about 33kW. That's what, about 44 horsepower? They have 100 and 300kW versions in the works. There are plenty of diesel generators that are truck-mountable and can produce that much power.

Only carriers and submarines are nuclear powered nowadays, really. This laser is only about 33kW. That's what, about 44 horsepower? They have 100 and 300kW versions in the works. There are plenty of diesel generators that are truck-mountable and can produce that much power.

Their going to need more than that to take on aliens in the next Battleship movie. ;)

Things that don't have any explosive components are usually pretty low threat to surface ships. I mean, yeah, it's useless against spears chucked at you, but...uhhh...okay. You can just ignore those.

Missiles? Aircraft? Speedboats? All of these things have plenty of 'explodey' parts you can detonate remotely this way.

Ya I'd like to see that thing bring down a missile coming in at Mach 2...

It didn't seem all that impressive to me.

Would be easy considering it would be automated. Also, the phalanx can do it so I am sure this could as well.

This is light...there is "no" travel time. All you need is a camera to track the missile and the laser light is instantaneously at the target position. You have to compensate for ocean wave motion, which is very easy with today's technology of gyros and accelerometers, and atmospheric lensing which is just a mathematical calculation.

That's not the point of Hezzbolah's mission. It's terrorism and the destruction of Israel. If by chance they get lucky with a rocket strike then fantastic, but the idea that you've got an incoming of hundreds of missile attacks a day or more is a fairly frightening prospect and you can see how living under those condition can make a populace very terrified. Now, Israeli's are fairly smart folks and are running Iron Dome to down those missiles, and they've done a pretty good job of it. Applause to them.

Back