Iowa Issuing Smartphone Driver’s Licenses

HardOCP News

[H] News
A smartphone driver's license? What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

The Iowa Department of Transportation said it plans to pilot a smartphone driver’s license program that could one day make plastic licenses a thing of the past. “It’s really moving beyond a static thing,” said Mark Lowe, director of the Iowa Department of Transportation Motor Vehicles Division.

One issue with putting everything on a smartphone is that is becomes a single point of failure. Lose of break the phone and what do you do?

More government waste, and more government bureaucrats with too little to do so they're constantly thinking of new ways to screw everything up and make sure that nobody's data is safe.

Yeah, like I'm going to give my unlocked cell phone to a cop.. LOL!

Go pound sand on that one.

You could so this with an ID too.

Anyone that has misplaced their license and spent hours at DMV straightening things out can concur; unless it is not so bad outside of NY/NJ.

I like the idea of having insurance ID information on the smart phone via an app, but I would probably still keep a paper copy just in case. I think the same would apply to a digital license. It would be easier to hand your phone to the cop when he asks for your license/proof of insurance, but then what would you do when he throws it on the ground and smashes it?

Yeah, like I'm going to give my unlocked cell phone to a cop.. LOL!

Go pound sand on that one.

Cop has every right to identify you. You fail to show your cell phone ID, you go to the station for fingerprints.

It would be easier to hand your phone to the cop when he asks for your license/proof of insurance, but then what would you do when he throws it on the ground and smashes it?

That's ridiculous. A cop isn't going to smash a phone just for the hell of it.

"Hey, thanks for the unlocked phone. While I'm here I'll just look through your texts, emails and surfing history."

Cop has every right to identify you. You fail to show your cell phone ID, you go to the station for fingerprints.

Yup. A paper license will work fine for that. He doesn't need my cellphone and access to all the data on it.

Yup. A paper license will work fine for that. He doesn't need my cellphone and access to all the data on it.

Absolutely, which is why you should make sure your state doesn't pass this.

I am with canna on this one.

Yes, they have a right to identify me, but if I give them my unlocked cell phone to ID myself, what is to stop them for looking at my email, contacts, and anything else I have on the phone.

It basically gives them access to something that they dont have access to without reasonable cause to explore and see if they can make a case. I cant imagine that would be exploited.

Just make sure you use a PIN and not your fingerprint if you decide not to play along.

Depends on the situation. Also the guy was talking more about handing his phone to a cop not so much complaining about ID'ing himself to a cop.

Given cellphone GPS it's likely they could start writing speeding tickets based on that. I've often thought that when States get really strapped for cash they can mail out speeding tickets based on the autopay data for tollroads as they know the distance and time a car moves between toll collection spots.

You could so this with an ID too.

Not to mention I'd assume this would be a digital app or file that could be backed up / maintained.

My question is, what're they going to do to prevent spoofing? It obviously can't be just an image.

I'm thinking it'd have to work with something like NFC technology and be optional to the plastic ID.

- Device program stores encrypted card that can be brought up on screen with entry of PIN code
- When card is on screen, NFC can be activated
- Bump uglies with a reader (cop, govt, govt-issued ID readers) and the reader verifies the card via database.
-- This could be both visual (comes up on screen for card readers) and data CRC.
- Encryption should be between devices to prevent NFC snooping

Optional: Backdoor everything to the NSA

What if they used NFC-like technology? The cop could ask you to hold your phone near the NFC reader. The "reader" would then have your digital ID for the cop to view. No need to see your phone.
Kind of like the NFC payment systems (Google Wallet, ApplePay, etc).
I don't know a lot about the technology but seems like this could be a solution.

While I agree with not giving anyone my unlocked phone, android lollipop has a feature called screen pinning.

Given cellphone GPS it's likely they could start writing speeding tickets based on that. I've often thought that when States get really strapped for cash they can mail out speeding tickets based on the autopay data for tollroads as they know the distance and time a car moves between toll collection spots.

They could, but it only takes one senator who gets a ticket in the mail or well-off person to defeat that. I don't think it'd be that hard to argue that a phone does not equal a vehicle. I could have been a passenger, a really fast runner, GPS errors, left my phone in the NASCAR.

These types of programs (the toll booth) are often based on the shotgun approach. You throw a ton of tickets out there based on sketchy evidence and for a reasonable fee. You rig the system so that fighting a ticket is outweighed by the 'just make it go away' - lower fee for paying it outright ($50 if paid before X, court date is after X and raises fee to $150, court fees if you lose), no points on record, no set in stone court window (is: sometime between 8am and 5pm). All of these add up to a hassle and people pay the $50.

It's been the MPAA/RIAA shakedown playbook for years (your IP may have infringed, pay a low settlement of $X).

Until its mandatory I'm not going to care to much and besides this state can't do anything with tech that actually works so I'm not to worried

The concept is to not only host the license in an app, but to also be able to send push notifications about, say, traffic, or if a user’s license is about to expire, Lowe said. He said he is “not aware” of any other state that has a similar program.

kevin_android_app_permissions_12.jpg

WHERE DO I SIGN UP?

Funny I can walk down the street open carrying one of my firearms, and the police cannot just stop and identify me in Michigan. They have a right to identify you if you are driving, but doing mostly normal things they do not.

Well, I live in Iowa so if they do implement this I'll let you all know how it goes.

Do you think that our government has a room of jackass's who get paid to do nothing but think of the dumbest shit they can get away with passing as law? It just blows you away with how many people it would have taken to pass this law.

Yeah, this will go over well. I'm sure it won't take long before someone makes an app available to create your own driver's license.

This won't work very well for those of use who do not carry a 'smart' phone. Some of us do not even carry a cell phone anymore much less a 'smart' phone.

So will phone theft now be counted as identity theft? Because that is basically what it will be.

Incredibly stupid idea..I really fail to get this whole push to put every part of our lives on our phones. The IT guy in me is just screaming at how incredibly bad of an idea it is. If I lose my phone now it is an inconvenience. Imagine losing your phone if you use Ewallets, it has your drivers ID and everything else..You are screwed my friend and those little finger print scanners are jokes to get past.

One issue with putting everything on a smartphone is that is becomes a single point of failure. Lose of break the phone and what do you do?

Because your purse or wallet were not the same single points of failure?

They can already write them autonomously so who cares? If you don't like it then vote / write your representatives and get that part changed.

Not to mention I'd assume this would be a digital app or file that could be backed up / maintained.

My question is, what're they going to do to prevent spoofing? It obviously can't be just an image.

I'm thinking it'd have to work with something like NFC technology and be optional to the plastic ID.

- Device program stores encrypted card that can be brought up on screen with entry of PIN code
- When card is on screen, NFC can be activated
- Bump uglies with a reader (cop, govt, govt-issued ID readers) and the reader verifies the card via database.
-- This could be both visual (comes up on screen for card readers) and data CRC.
- Encryption should be between devices to prevent NFC snooping

Optional: Backdoor everything to the NSA

I imagine them just having a link to your file, a drivers license is nothing more than a link to a record anyway. All they need is a ID number then they look it up online and see if it matches your description and car etc....

How does this improve anyone's life?

Its one less piece of junk to carry for one, second if you lose your wallet have fun going to the SOS and waiting in line for bad service. With a phone app / program you can be up and running with everything with a trip to your cell provider and a cloud backup. `

Its one less piece of junk to carry for one, second if you lose your wallet have fun going to the SOS and waiting in line for bad service. With a phone app / program you can be up and running with everything with a trip to your cell provider and a cloud backup. `

And in the time it takes you to go to your cell provider, your bank accounts are drained, your cards maxed and now you get to spend the next 5-7 years trying to regain control of your identity. It is far far easier to completely clean someone out digitally than it is with physical cards. Digital wallets especially don't even need a merchant, thieves can just clean that shit out and since you don't have a phone for a period of time they have plenty of time to do it.

As for my wallet? Well I haven't lost it in my entire life, so I guess I'm not terribly concerned about it. As for carrying junk...you are a man..you should only have 3 things most of the time; Wallet, Keys and phone. If you are carrying more than that, perhaps there are other things going on we don't care to discuss.

Back