Crooks Using Pizza App To Verify Stolen Card Numbers

HardOCP News

[H] News
It takes a crook to come up with a scam like this. Honestly, would you have thought of using a pizza app to check stolen credit card numbers?

In short, thieves working through lists of stolen credit card numbers were using a smartphone app that orders pizza to see which numbers still worked. When they found a number to be valid, authorities said, the thieves used it to order bigger-ticket items online — while people in pockets of Brownsville and East New York in Brooklyn ate the pizzas.

This article is so cheesy.

I wish they'd just give a facts-based analysis of what happened instead of putting on all these toppings I didn't ask for. Not that I even eat pizza or any of that trash these days anyway.

When my friend was a punk back in the day he would use self service gas station card readers to check stolen cards before using them. Then he managed to read the 800 phone #s and merchant #s off various stores' credit card readers and use those instead doing manual authorizations from a pay phone from inside stores where the cards were being used. He'd go to a department store, find some big ticket items he wanted, ask the sales guy to hold the items while he went to the bathroom, use the pay phone to verify, then go back and purchase. This was in the 80s so video surveillance wasn't awesome and manual authorization was quite normal.

He never got caught but ended up trying to give back nearly everything 20 years later, though none of the credit card companies could or would accept the money, so he donated it to charity anonymously.

Back when I was delivering pizza we were supposed to ask to see the card before delivering the pizza and make sure it matched the number that was used to order. This was generally a hassle for us and the customers. Some of the other drivers never did it. I usually asked for the card, but if there was any complaint from the customer I usually gave up the pizza anyhow.

He never got caught but ended up trying to give back nearly everything 20 years later, though none of the credit card companies could or would accept the money, so he donated it to charity anonymously.

Huh?

Anyway on topic.. one of the many times my CC has been stolen they did a charge of $1 to a charity organization.. they I got a barrage of donation requests in the mail.

Back