DirecTV Puts Another Satellite into Space

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
DirecTV has placed a new satellite into orbit a few hours ago and the significance of that event is this satellite is designed specifically to bolster the 4K Ultra HD programming. In other words, DirecTV is laying the foundations for expansion of 4K TV next year. Good news for all of you 4K TV owners.

It will be the first commercial satellite to use the Reverse Band Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) spectrum, providing additional capacity for the delivery of more 4K Ultra HD programming and other advanced services to DirecTV customers across America including Alaska and Hawaii and Puerto Rico".

so in other words, they're adding two whole 4K PPV channels at stupid low bitrates :rolleyes: how about getting

so in other words, they're adding two whole 4K PPV channels at stupid low bitrates :rolleyes: how about getting 1080p broadcasts that don't look like shit?

It's probably higher bit rates than Netflix and it's gotta be better than Cable. I don't think it'll look better than Broadcast, much less Blu-Ray, anytime soon.

What I find interesting is that a couple of years ago everyone was saying 4k was just a marketing gimmick. This is the future. And for Blu Ray, we get better gamut, and potentially higher frame rates. Hopefully we get 100 GB disks too.

It's probably higher bit rates than Netflix and it's gotta be better than Cable. I don't think it'll look better than Broadcast, much less Blu-Ray, anytime soon.

What I find interesting is that a couple of years ago everyone was saying 4k was just a marketing gimmick. This is the future. And for Blu Ray, we get better gamut, and potentially higher frame rates. Hopefully we get 100 GB disks too.

it makes great business sense, so good move there, directv. i'm sure it'll draw the flock in. although i have a feeling all anyone is going to be watching for 2+ years for the low, low price of $20/mo (additional) is a preview channel filled with commercials, and the occasional PPV movie at $15 a pop.

i'll stick with bluray and internet services. never again paying $140 a month for 5 channels i'll actually watch, clunky dvr menus and a crap picture. that's just me though. i don't need sports, hah.

I really enjoyed DirectTV when I had them, they did have by far the best service in comparison to the competition.

But I'm not paying for Cable again, after this football season is over I'm giving them back their boxes and calling it a day.

So is this like youtube "4k" where it's transmitting at an absurdly low bitrate?

Sweet, so there will be more on that I couldn't care less to watch :D

When you are putting something in orbit that will potentially be there for 12 to 20 years it pays to think ahead. They were already burned by not doing so with a couple of birds that had to have features disabled to accommodate HD in the mid 00s so it makes sense to be prepared for the possibility of 4K with a new bird now.

Streaming? Yes, 4K will happen. Broadcast? Probably not as some stations haven't even paid off the HD transition yet. and most cable boxes can only handle Mpeg-2, and barely at that. I'd bet it will be more of a gimmick channel kind of like how the 3D ones were but not mainstream even if most sets by then can support it.

Back