Amazon Fire TV Firmware Update Bricks Rooted Devices

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A built-in non-reversible addition to the Amazon Fire TV firmware update has been discovered by a group of Fire TV enthusiast that once the update is installed, cannot be removed once tweaked. This discovery probably won’t affect the masses who utilize automatic updates, but mostly the techies who live to get the most out of a product.

The message is clear: play within the walls of our garden or GTFO. With most users opting for automatic updates, the firmware has made the final decision for them.

Way to be a dick Amazon.
Wonder when we'll see products are leased only and they'll deactivate them when new versions are released.

That is the price of using a connected device ... you accept a company's terms and conditions as part of your purchase and they can control how you use the device "IF" you are accessing their servers and services ... this can apply to phones, internet streaming devices, video game consoles, ereaders, and online games ... if you don't want this restriction than you can't use the online services or you need to find a less restrictive alternate product (if there is one) ... c'est la vie

While I generally agree that a product once purchased is the customers and should be able to do as they like.

One exception would be if the product was subsidized in some fashion. Sort of like with the Amazon Fire (at least it used to be?), you could pay less for the device and have ads, or pay more and have no ads. I would support a company to lock a device down in this situation because part of the sales agreement is essentially promised of ad revenue.

Obviously if you paid full price for the hardware... f off..

The line is getting blurred though... A company has a right also to build their product the way they want. It is up to the customer to determine if the Amazon product provides value at the price while being locked in their ecosystem. This is no different then Apple.

I will probably not buy Amazon devices due to this policy and behavior just like I don't buy Apple products for similar reasons.

Maybe Amazon discovered that there was an exploit that gets free paid content or whatever so this was there only option to protect their assets.

I don't think I rooted mine. I had enabled adb and push installed a few things when I first got it, around initial release. Was trying to get xboxmc to run.

FYI-those who root often turn off automatic/ota updates as a standard practice..

Maybe Amazon discovered that there was an exploit that gets free paid content or whatever so this was there only option to protect their assets.

Their device is now more just like everyone else's that has a big name behind it. How much Chromecast rooting is going on? You could hack that too at first until they closed a loophole.

I suspect someone went a little too far, probably enabling content recording which would make Amazon's legal dept freak.

At least sideloading doesn't require root from what I understand.

I don't think I rooted mine. I had enabled adb and push installed a few things when I first got it, around initial release. Was trying to get xboxmc to run.

FYI-those who root often turn off automatic/ota updates as a standard practice..

Yeah, problem is, like my PS3, it would not let you run say netflix, without the update.. I am assuming the Firecrap will be the same.
Sucky move all around.. I can see them un-rooting them each time one gets an update, but to brick them is sucky.. overall makes no sense to buy a device line this to root it.. you can have something totally open anyway, with those tron-smart thingies.

Info in the link to the original xda-developers thread doesn't support the article's headline at all. If anything, updating rooted devices works exactly the same way it always has: if it's more than a very minor update, you'll need to root it again.

The OP's link points to the xda-developers thread offering pre-rooted images as a work-around, too. Outrage first, accuracy never!

Info in the link to the original xda-developers thread doesn't support the article's headline at all. If anything, updating rooted devices works exactly the same way it always has: if it's more than a very minor update, you'll need to root it again.

The OP's link points to the xda-developers thread offering pre-rooted images as a work-around, too. Outrage first, accuracy never!

Yea. I too was confused after reading the headline and the article, they don't quite match.

While I generally agree that a product once purchased is the customers and should be able to do as they like.

One exception would be if the product was subsidized in some fashion. Sort of like with the Amazon Fire (at least it used to be?), you could pay less for the device and have ads, or pay more and have no ads. I would support a company to lock a device down in this situation because part of the sales agreement is essentially promised of ad revenue.

The line is getting blurred though... A company has a right also to build their product the way they want. It is up to the customer to determine if the Amazon product provides value at the price while being locked in their ecosystem. This is no different then Apple.

I will probably not buy Amazon devices due to this policy and behavior just like I don't buy Apple products for similar reasons.

That's a very reasonable perspective. Problem is, is that gray and fuzzy line will make it far easier for the consumer to get hosed than it would hurt the company.

This is Amazon here. Nothing they make isn't already cheaper and rootable.
If I bought the device it's 100% mine. Don't care why nonsense they have going on. There are better, cheaper, and open devices in the market. They aren't a special snowflake.

Mine is rooted and it works just fine, I was very curious about the thread title. I won't be reading the link then.

That is the price of using a connected device ... you accept a company's terms and conditions as part of your purchase and they can control how you use the device "IF" you are accessing their servers and services ... this can apply to phones, internet streaming devices, video game consoles, ereaders, and online games ... if you don't want this restriction than you can't use the online services or you need to find a less restrictive alternate product (if there is one) ... c'est la vie

I think you got that wrong. I don't want to use their servers or services but Amazon is basically forcing users to use them. It's like buying a car and you can only have it serviced by the vendor you bought it from otherwise the car turns into a lemon. Fine if they void the warranty - that is their prerogative but to brick a device is a dick move on Amazon's part.

Wow, I was considering buying one...Not any more...Dick move Amazon.

Maybe you shouldn't speculate when you have no evidence to back up your claims.

When it comes to situations like these, hypotheticals have no place in this kind of discussion.

Back