Disappointing OC on 5960x + Rampage V Extreme

skypine27

Gawd
Hey guys. I have been looking around but decided to start a more recent thread in case anyone can help.

I just build a new system yesterday based on a 5960x + Rampage V Extreme and DDR4@3000 Memory.

I cant get a decent OC and Im pretty sure its because Im doing it wrong. The Rampage V Bios is much more complicated than the Rampage III I used forever before it.

Previously, on the 980/990x CPUs I used before, all I would ever do is up the multiplier and up the VCore. As far as memory, I would just up the voltage and set a "decent" speed like 1866 (worked for my DDR3 and i7-990x).

On this 5960x + the G.Skil DDR4/3000, I cant get much love.

Currently I have the cpu at 3.5ghz with voltage of 1.32, and the memory running at 2400 with factory suggested voltage of 1.35

When I try the BIOS auto tune pre sets (there are 3 of them. 4.0, 4.2, and 4.4). Sometimes they work and I get into the desktop, but as soon as I put a load on things (Far Cry 4), BAM! POP CRASH etc.

Its not a temp thing as its not gradual, its an instant pop.

Anyone here have a 5960 x and preferable a Rampage V extreme with a overclock around 4.0-4.4?

Suggested settings are appreciated fellows.

The 5960X officially supports a max of 2133 mhz. I would start there and see if you can get stability on your CPU overclock. It may be possible you have a memory controller that doesn't like any kind of overclock.

Interesting about the 2133 supported mem limit. I didnt know this. Its right there on the intel spec sheet, sadly I just assumed because vendors are selling DDR4 upwards of 3000 that the latest CPUs would support this speed.

I will manually set the mem there and see if I can then get the CPU to hold 4.0-4.4 or so

Thanks for the info about the mem limit!!

Last edited:
Faster than 2133 is an overclock. It's not a limit, just an overclock. And like any overclock, you have to play with the settings to get it stable. Your 990x probably had a very good memory controller to be able to handle 1866 mhz with just DRAM voltage bumps. It only officially supported 1066 mhz.

Find out what your cpu is capable of before messing with the memory, doing it together will only bring tons of headaches.

Set ram settings to auto, 1.35v cpu, 1.95v input voltage, set multi to 45, run realbench looping the x264 feature. Lower the multi until you stop getting rendering errors.

With ai suite installed it should take you about 30 minutes at most to figure out what your chip is capable of. CPU overclocking is literally that easy on x99 and all the nasty bits belongs to memory.

Also have a realistic expectation of what these chips are capable of, 4.2~4.3 is the average stable oc and anything above that is pure luck.

Agenesis:

Are you talking about using Ai suite to do the over clock from inside the windows environment?

Found real bench on the ROG website, i will run that in a bit with your suggested settings. Just to confirm, you'd use the BIOS to overlock, not the Ai Suite program in the Win 8 environment?

Will try your suggestions very soon. Thx man.

Last edited:
Agenesis:

Are you talking about using Ai suite to do the over clock from inside the windows environment?

Is realbench bundled with ai suite?

Will try your suggestions very soon. Thx man.

Real bench is not bundled ai suite and is a separate program by Asus. If you click on the tpu button on ai suite it'll allow you to fine tune your voltages on Windows. After finding the magic numbers you can plug it directly into the bios.

Don't use the auto oc, it's completely unreliable above 4ghz.

Edit: yeah, you would need to load the estimated settings on your bios first and then fine tweak them using Ai suite. It's much easier than rebooting just change small voltage increments.

Agenesis:

I used your suggested settings (45 multi, 1.35/1.95 on the CPU and Auto/1.35v on the memory)

Realbench stress test went insta BOOM. (Didn't try the video encoding bench at that setting).

Dropped the multi to 43 and kept all settings the same, and the Realbench video bench ran smoothly. But went BOOM after about 30 minutes of hard core Far Cry 4. Trying a 42 multi now.

Thanks for telling me about the TPU button in AI Auite. I had not seen that before.

(update. Steady at 4.2ghz 1.35/195v and 2133 1.35v)

Last edited:
That sounds right, I haven't heard of too many 5960X chips hitting 4.5 stable. Although the memory seems pretty low still.

Nice. If you want to go higher the generally accepted safe voltages are around 1.4v cpu and 2.1v vccin, with those voltages you might be able to get an extra 100~200mhz. Watch for temps though, you would probably need more than a h80 if you want to go beyond 1.35v. These chips get extremely hot under load.

skypine27, Please save us from irrelevant words, especially when you title your messages. Then why don't you start with the automatic OC tool which Asus provides with its mobos?

skypine27, Please save us from irrelevant words, especially when you title your messages. Then why don't you start with the automatic OC tool which Asus provides with its mobos?

Wirk:
As mentioned from other users in this thread, it sucks above 4.0ghz. Though I was not aware of that info previously. Do you get charged by the keystroke something in your country? Like if you hit too many, does your bill go up by some Euros?

Agenesis & Zinn:
Thanks for all the help. Won't likely go higher than 4.2 then. The case I'm running is a very odd one. Works well for me, but wont fit any higher end AIO coolers like the bigger Kraken etc. It would fit an H90 with a push pull, but I'm not convinced that's any better than the H80i I'm running now in push/pull.

Thanks again for letting me know about the 5960x and 2133 mem support limitation. Might try higher MEM clock out of boredom.. Dunno. Just use the machine for moderate gaming (WarGame Red Dragon / War Thunder / Far Cry 4 / Fallout NV). Suspect going from 2133 to 2400 at any voltage wont help the FPS count and might likely result in an extra BSOD every so often?

(sorry if I used too many keystrokes. Over and Out)

Last edited:
Nice. If you want to go higher the generally accepted safe voltages are around 1.4v cpu and 2.1v vccin, with those voltages you might be able to get an extra 100~200mhz. Watch for temps though, you would probably need more than a h80 if you want to go beyond 1.35v. These chips get extremely hot under load.

1.35V = custom loop. 1.4V isn't possible at all unless you get a really low leakage chip.

@OP....memory overclocking is overrated. You won't notice any difference between 2400 and 2133 in real applications. Only reason I ran at 2666 instead of 2400 is because it took me 2 keystrokes to do it.

Rise from the dead!

Looks like I have a dog 5960X. Can't even OC to 3.6GHz! I can, however, run at 3.5GHz with XMP on (3000MHz DDR4). I've used the tips from this thread, from others...only thing I can think of is maybe my PSU. That's very unlikely - but I have a AX1500i on the way, anyway. I've pumped as high as 1.375v CPU/2.1 VCCIN/1.35V RAM - 3.8GHz crashed after about 6 minutes of ROG RealBench. Didn't bother going lower - no point in OCing with that voltage if it's for 300MHz (runs at stock voltage at 3.5GHz/3000MHz DDR4 XMP). Temps are fantastic. Just not a CPU that will comply to any OC. I just can't really believe it. Going to keep at it...but it has been a few days of try/reboot/test/reboot/re-try..

Specs:
Intel i7-5960X CPU (Corsair H110 280mm Liquid CPU cooler), Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, Tri-SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB, Creative Sound Blaster ZxR audio, Samsung 850 Pro SSDs (256GB; 1TB), and a 2TB Western Digital Green WD20EARX 5400RPM HDD on an MSI X99S XPOWER AC motherboard inside of a Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper full tower – powered by a Seasonic X Series X-1250 (1250W; fully modular).

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I guess I should probably open a new thread - different mobo/etc.
EDIT2: thread here - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1853926

Last edited:
Try DDR 2400 first then 2133 . Thats what I have to run. I have to run 2400 even though RAM is rated for 3000. Anything higher for me is unstable. Also manually set both ram bank voltages to 1.35v (assuming thats your ram's factory voltage spec)

Last edited:
Anything above DDR3 2133mhz for the Rampage V Extreme needs a 125 strap not a 100 strap which is probably where your problems are stemming from. This means if you use a 125 strap you only bump the multiplier up to like 35 to get 4.5ghz. Btw I have the same exact system as you and I'm still having issues just booting past my BIOS since it always throws some type of memory code when running XMP and/or overclocking. I'm about to just get some low cas latency 2133 stuff and call it a day since anyone knows memory speed has little to no impact especially on general/gaming use. This guide may help you:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53306-DDR4-3000-Setup-Guide-For-Rampage-V-Extreme

Back