I is worth upgrading?

Dave65

Gawd
From ASUS 660 GTX OC editions in SLI to a 970?
Most of the games I play don't do well with SLI, like World of Tanks..
Would it be worth it, or would I benefit from it??

Well simply looking at reviews shows a 970 is over twice as fast as the 660 overall. In some newer games its not too far from being twice as fast as the 670 even. Considering SLI does not scale all that great in many games you are certainly looking at the 970 easily being a decent overall upgrade for sure. Plus more vram too which will help in some games. I would go ahead and grab a 970 and sell the 660 cards.

Last edited:
Go for it. there are multiple reasons. Single GPU means consistent performance with low frametimes. SLI scaling can vary from game to game and sometimes a game might not support SLI. The most important reason is the VRAM limitation of 2GB on GTX 660. Most of the recent games are easily hitting 3GB at 1080p at max settings. Add to it lower power, lower noise and lower ambient temps (cooler PC). its a no-brainer. Get the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming.

why would you spread misinformation like that?

I, and MANY others have been using it for years no problems.

You've had zero problems in any games with SLI? Even OP has issues with it. OP being the most important person in this exchange of ideas and solutions.

I've had more problems with SLI and crossfire than is worth it for me. I single card 90% of the time now.

why would you spread misinformation like that?

I, and MANY others have been using it for years no problems.
No need to have both extremes as both can actually be wrong. It may not be a turd but you claiming you have no problems is just as much nonsense. Plenty of games have issues and some games don't even work at all. Far Cry 4 is certainly messed up right now and some drivers broke SLI in Watchdogs a little while back so that's just a couple of examples but there are plenty more so please don't act like you don't ever have any problems. The only way you won't have any problems is if you just happen to magically miss every single game out there that can have an issue with SLI which is ludicrous. Heck the OP clearly said he is having problems.

I would recommend SLI only when no single can get the job done (usually that means only the top few cards are worth SLI'ing).

Since a single 970 beats 2x 660 even when they scale perfectly, it is a no brainer, 970 without a doubt.

I would say its worth it. Even if you were going to a single 970 I would say its worth it.

From ASUS 660 GTX OC editions in SLI to a 970?
Most of the games I play don't do well with SLI, like World of Tanks..
Would it be worth it, or would I benefit from it??

Not quite the same upgrade, but I went from GTX690 to GTX980 G1 and it is a clear upgrade.
I'd imagine 660->970 is definitely a nice jump.

Not quite the same upgrade, but I went from GTX690 to GTX980 G1 and it is a clear upgrade.
I'd imagine 660->970 is definitely a nice jump.
Clear upgrade? Not according to reviews as overall the 690 is still slightly faster.

Back