Woz: Apple Wasn't Started In A Garage

HardOCP News

[H] News
I wonder why this is the first time we are hearing this. :confused:

The garage is a bit of a myth. It's overblown. The garage represents us better than anything else, but we did no designs there. We would drive the finished products to the garage, make them work and then we'd drive them down to the store that paid us cash.

if they were finished products wouldn't they already be working? well... you know ....if you don't use the word finished like game companies do now.

not suprising tbh.

theres also origin myths surrounding amazon (geezer quit job to start an online bookstore), google (2 uni kids come up with a search engine), ebay etc.

not suprising tbh.

theres also origin myths surrounding amazon (geezer quit job to start an online bookstore), google (2 uni kids come up with a search engine), ebay etc.
Tech companies like slow jerking it to their own history.

The point still stands. It's not like he had a huge lab and a hundred techs at his command, he built it all himself with his mind and his hands. So what if he designed his shit on a drafting table and not in the garage. Jobs was the guy with "real vision," though. Maybe he couldn't actually make a damn thing himself, but he knew how to sell it.

Solder in his mouth surprised me. Back in the day it wasn't lead free.

The point still stands. It's not like he had a huge lab and a hundred techs at his command, he built it all himself with his mind and his hands. So what if he designed his shit on a drafting table and not in the garage. Jobs was the guy with "real vision," though. Maybe he couldn't actually make a damn thing himself, but he knew how to sell it.

nobody is disputing woz and what he did. he prolly spent hours, days, weeks on it. the garage was at best a quick test spot.

also sodder in mouth, alot of peeps did it back then, the trick was not to lick it just grip with your teeth. thing is most peeps got used to licking it :/
starting to see peeps do it more and more again with the whole maker/homebrew scene kicking off again been to a few conventions and peeps are soddering like that at crazy speed, mad but 1337 skils tbh

too bad. i have been living in my garage for 15 years hoping that a cool business idea will emerge so i can claim "garage start-up".

Teeth or otherwise, it's not worth the risk especially if you do it regularly.

From the IPC training manual.

Ingestion is the most likely form of exposure to lead during electronics assembly. To avoid
ingesting lead, never bite off solder wire with your teeth. Gloves are recommended for handling
tin-lead solder wire or solder paste.

The company I really want to go to work for when I got out of tech school was call QMS (quality micro systems). It was literally started out of a garage. A couple guys started assembling low cost printer kits and selling them.
Unfortunately I found you had to know someone that could pull strings for you to get a job there. :(

So does this mean that the garage will lose its designation as a landmark/historical site?

Back