Star Witness In Apple Lawsuit Is Steve Jobs

HardOCP News

[H] News
For being such a smart guy, Steve Jobs sure did some dumb stuff.

Mr. Jobs’s emails and videotaped deposition taken before his death, plaintiffs’ lawyers say, will portray him as planning to break a competitor’s product to protect Apple’s grip on digital music. “We will present evidence that Apple took action to block its competitors and in the process harmed competition and harmed consumers,” said Bonny Sweeney, the lead plaintiffs’ lawyer.

For being such a smart guy, Steve Jobs sure did some dumb stuff.

True, but you had to be a fanboy not to realize that what Apple did was anti-competitive and designed to monopolize the digital music and digital player marketplace. It was obvious at the time. I'm sure Gates had emails that were just as damning about some of MS's practices in the 90s.

He was a pompous ass and a bully.
Thankfully for Apple, he ran others into the ground, sued and threatened (so harshly it could almost be considered blackmail) but he managed to do the damage BEFORE the other companies could be competitive. Sure, they're paying a pittance of a a fine for domination now, so its money well spent.
No one shy of Microsoft or Google could have stood against him. Everything else is like AMD vs Intel where AMD had a better product, but couldn't guarantee production numbers so Intel used that leverage to keep AMD from dominating the high end market with socket 939 x86-64 until they could throw enough money into R&D to get back ahead. Damage done, any fines paid now were worth keeping their dominance from an up and comer.
Fines are just a drop in the bucket happily paid by companies to keep their almost monopolistic position.

He was a pompous ass and a bully.
Thankfully for Apple, he ran others into the ground, sued and threatened (so harshly it could almost be considered blackmail) but he managed to do the damage BEFORE the other companies could be competitive. Sure, they're paying a pittance of a a fine for domination now, so its money well spent.
No one shy of Microsoft or Google could have stood against him. Everything else is like AMD vs Intel where AMD had a better product, but couldn't guarantee production numbers so Intel used that leverage to keep AMD from dominating the high end market with socket 939 x86-64 until they could throw enough money into R&D to get back ahead. Damage done, any fines paid now were worth keeping their dominance from an up and comer.
Fines are just a drop in the bucket happily paid by companies to keep their almost monopolistic position.

You're speaking from the POV of 2014. In 2004, apple's annual profits were about 1/7th what they are now. I'm not saying they didn't make a lot of money, but there was plenty of companies that could have taken them on.

Steve was a shrewd businessman but for all accounts a dispicable human being.

Steve was a shrewd businessman but for all accounts a dispicable human being.

This, i suggest to anyone that dont know about this guy that they do some googling and look into it. I was seriously disgusted at the amount of people that acted personally sad when the fucker died. Especially knowing he died with a nice new liver he got by buying his way to the front of the transplant line potentially killing the someone else in line.

All the way from tax evasion to leaving his daughter on welfare for years.

You're speaking from the POV of 2014. In 2004, apple's annual profits were about 1/7th what they are now. I'm not saying they didn't make a lot of money, but there was plenty of companies that could have taken them on.

Yes, which is why companies take the risk of anti-competitive behaviour. Because, if it works and they keep a competitor out of the market their profits grow fast enough to easily offset the lawsuit that won't hit the courts until a decade later.

Karma is a bitch. Getting rich by being a jerk = early death.
It had more to do with stupidity. As I recall, they caught his cancer very early, but he tried some natural stuff before going for an aggressive treatment that would have saved his life. I believe Roger Ebert made the same mistake (though with a totally different type of cancer).

Yes, which is why companies take the risk of anti-competitive behaviour. Because, if it works and they keep a competitor out of the market their profits grow fast enough to easily offset the lawsuit that won't hit the courts until a decade later.

Maybe so, but look at how much it hurt MS. MS might not have been an also ran in so much of the latest tech trends if not for the monopoly ruling. We'll never know.

Back