DVD Rips Hit The Net After Sony Hack

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like hackers had a field day when they hacked Sony last week.

Matters just keep getting worse for Sony Pictures, which was victim to a massive hack this past week. Its internal email systems remain offline, and now DVD-quality rips of four of the studio's newest films have hit piracy websites. Watermarked copies of Fury, Annie, Mr. Turner, and Still Alice all hit torrent websites around the same time shortly after the attack.

Who wants to bet that instead of getting the funding and attention that they desperately need to prevent this sort of thing the IT department at Sony will get put through the wringer.

you would hope previous attacks on consumers of sony products would of caused them to beef up their security across the board. this is their 3rd hack if not more if you count the two psn hacks.

I wonder how many here have been downloading some links distros.

Still don't think I'm gonna torrent any of these titles.

As I don't know the origin of the torrent. Could be a Sony honeypot scam.

serves them right. karma is a b***h. also, theyd have to pay me to watch any of the awful drivel they call movies.

Watermarked copies of Fury, Annie, Mr. Turner, and Still Alice all hit torrent websites
Sony doesn't have a thing to worry about with titles like those.

I wonder how many here have been downloading some links distros.

Did you see the titles leaked? Not much interest in:

Black Annie
Alice still has Alzheimer's
How I became a drug addict then made a charity
Older painter guy dies
Inglorious Basterds with Tanks (ok maybe that one)

I bet they blame piracy for millions in losses, regardless of how crappy the movies were. It could be 2 hours of a monkey dancing in a dress, and if it leaked they would claim it cost them $100 million.

Fury was supposed to be decent, wasn't it?

I saw it in the theatre. The feeling I had when I left was that the tank combat was pretty good, but I'm just not angry at the Germans anymore.

I'd probably watch it again at home on Netflix or something.

Out of those titles, Fury is the only one I might *possibly* want to see, and the priority on that one is so low that even if it was a legit rip, I doubt I'd spend the time to download it.

Poor Sony, even when they lose, they lose. :p

There are some upscaled to 720p versions flying around. Sony's fault for lacking security mainly. The internet is like the open wild. Gotta have some gate around the place or else some coyotes will get in. ;)

If you think about it from a competetors standpoint, they could hire a hacker to steal secrets especially when the securty is so poor. Its on sonys head for not keeping them out.

There are better ways to protest Sony than engaging in theft and illegal distribution. It gives Sony a solid footing when they complain about piracy and illegal downloads.

Screeners leaking before awards season is par for the course. I'm surprised more movies haven't leaked yet, actually.

Totally not interested in ANY of those even if they were on Netflix.
"Colorized" Annie? Really?
Did they learn NOTHING from bastardizing the Karate Kid?
Well at least its not Jaden Smith. That kid couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. With 2 talented parents you'd think he'd be half decent but I'm pretty sure any random stranger could do better.

Mr Turner?
PLEASE! Its Patch Adams without Robin Williams, humor or a plot!
Give me a Picaso movie! At least you're guaranteed some self mutilation to look forward to.

Still Alice?
Still depressing. Can we get some uplifting movies? My great-grandmother is suffering from dementia and its terrible. My brother and 2 of my cousins suffer from various mental illnesses. Any mental disorders a family is forced to deal with is a tragic ordeal.

Fury?
Furries starring Brad Pitt would be more interesting.

Point is, I'm tired of the same old same old depressing 5 o clock news BS movies, stories of less then interesting people I could care less about and half assed remakes of classics. Try something new!

Word on the street is this was an inside job. There was likely very little "hacking" involved. Likely more social engineering at best.

Who wants to bet that instead of getting the funding and attention that they desperately need to prevent this sort of thing
Translation: let's shred our First Amendment in its entirety to continue funding obscenely huge salaries for corporate execs and substance abuse problems for celebrities.

Not coincidental that no mention whatsoever is made of first-run Sony films being available for $0.25 on every street corner in Hong Kong or Bangkok. So we can safely assume the calls for "attention" will be limited to people stupid enough to believe "prevention" is even in the realm of possibility.

Also can we please remember Orrin Hatch is widely known as the Senator From Sony. Let's see how much of this whining comes from him.

And pirates, spare me. You can make up any reasoning you want but you have no right to be gaining use or enjoyment of others' ip without doing so legally. You just don't want to pay and have an absurd self entitled attitude, that's all it honestly comes down to in 99.9999999999999 percent of pirating cases.

TWith 2 talented parents you'd think he'd be half decent but I'm pretty sure any random stranger could do better.

Are their two talented parents? The mom annoys me in Gotham. Maybe it's how the character is supposed to be, but it's annoying and hard to watch.

And pirates, spare me. You can make up any reasoning you want but you have no right to be gaining use or enjoyment of others' ip without doing so legally. You just don't want to pay and have an absurd self entitled attitude, that's all it honestly comes down to in 99.9999999999999 percent of pirating cases.

Is it though? For a lot of people it's ease of access. I'm not saying I pirate, but I personally don't want to go to a theater for a lot of these movies. If they were available for direct-to-stream within 60-90 days for a fair amount of their theatrical release, I'd guess they'd cut down on piracy a lot.

Same thing with the music industry. I don't want to buy an entire CD of fluff where I have to drive to Tower Records to get it. I want a few select tracks. The industry finally adapted (by force) and now offer the consumer numerous ways to get what they want for a fair price. Does anyone even pirate music anymore? It's certainly not as bad as the Napster days.

Is it though? For a lot of people it's ease of access. I'm not saying I pirate, but I personally don't want to go to a theater for a lot of these movies. If they were available for direct-to-stream within 60-90 days for a fair amount of their theatrical release, I'd guess they'd cut down on piracy a lot.

Same thing with the music industry. I don't want to buy an entire CD of fluff where I have to drive to Tower Records to get it. I want a few select tracks. The industry finally adapted (by force) and now offer the consumer numerous ways to get what they want for a fair price. Does anyone even pirate music anymore? It's certainly not as bad as the Napster days.
Then wait for it to be available for home sale ;). The theater exclusivity is part of their business model.

I saw it in the theatre. The feeling I had when I left was that the tank combat was pretty good, but I'm just not angry at the Germans anymore.

I'd probably watch it again at home on Netflix or something.

They must not be on board with the current narrative. We are supposed to hate the Russians right now. Not sure why, just know I need to hate them.

Totally not interested in ANY of those even if they were on Netflix.
"Colorized" Annie? Really?
Did they learn NOTHING from bastardizing the Karate Kid?
Well at least its not Jaden Smith. That kid couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. With 2 talented parents you'd think he'd be half decent but I'm pretty sure any random stranger could do better.

You saw the interview him and his sister did about getting an education? Those kids are already doomed to fail.

"We're going bankrupt! What do we do!?"

"Cut security, put all money in the Playstation. Then pray."

Sony's current business model.

Sony doesn't have a thing to worry about with titles like those.
Unfortunately (for Sony) this leak gets the word out about a bunch of crappy movies. I've only downloaded a handful of movies in the last 10 years, but every time I have I was glad I did because it saved me from wasting money on a turd.

Then wait for it to be available for home sale ;). The theater exclusivity is part of their business model.

These days most of them now make you wait 30 days before releasing them for rentals via redbox or netflix or streaming. That or pay $5-6 via Comcast for pay per view. Comcast wants $4.99 for standard def rentals via their on demand system. It just means I have to wait another 30 days or they put the dvd/bluray on sale. They're lucky if I buy 2-3 movies these days on disc. After awhile I just don't care.

While I don't condone the hacking or even gaf about any of those movies, it does show there's a huge hole in the market left by the "release to theatres and hoard in vault until dvd release" model. People don't wanna wait.

I don't agree in pirating. My opinion is that the movie industry needs to open up from theater sales and allow people to purchase videos at home. It is simply no longer convenient or necessary to go to a theater. Occasionally the atmosphere is nice for very epic films. Overall the inconvenience is expensive tickets, concessions, crowded theaters, talking, cell phones, and gross floors.

We have the ability to stream, so let us. Let the customer make that decision. It made more since when 50 inch plus televisions were not so affordable. It is quite reasonable to have a nice home theater system and not be inconvenienced by high concession prices, other people, driving, and time. It is not logical to force this model upon your consumers. It is the future regardless of whether they embrace it, but those that do will not go the way of VHS/DVD and movie rentals. Just think how Netflix has changed the movie industry in the last few years.

Who wants to bet that instead of getting the funding and attention that they desperately need to prevent this sort of thing the IT department at Sony will get put through the wringer.

Isn't this the potential defense for any department that has failed. Good thing most businesses are still run by the older generations that pride themselves on their computer illiteracy or they'd be told to suck it up like any other department that makes that complaint.

I didn't care for it.

I saw it in the theater and thought it was quite boring. Only a few moments really stand out. The story is pretty predictable and the acting is only mediocre.

War is terrible and this film pretty much sings this message. Something we should all already know.

These days most of them now make you wait 30 days before releasing them for rentals via redbox or netflix or streaming. That or pay $5-6 via Comcast for pay per view. Comcast wants $4.99 for standard def rentals via their on demand system. It just means I have to wait another 30 days or they put the dvd/bluray on sale. They're lucky if I buy 2-3 movies these days on disc. After awhile I just don't care.

So it sucks waiting, still doesn't excuse piracy. People need to exercise some self control and just don't buy it or don't pirate it. They created it; they can hold onto it for however long they want.

Back