Windows 10 Natively Supports FLAC and MKV Codecs

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Windows 10 will feature support for MKV and FLAC right out of the box. :cool:

This expands Microsoft's support for popular but less-than-standard file formats. FLAC joins MKV (one of the most common containers for H.264 video alongside MP4) and HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding), both of which were also confirmed by Aul on Twitter last month.

what about blu ray? IMO both SONY and MS have a lot to gain together if they were to allow BR support in windows 10, for MS it would help push higher end devices and possibly just get a lot of windows 7 users to migrate. For sony they are a company in decline and anything that would help stem the tide of streaming that is attacking BR would help.

Oh please support Blu-Ray!!!!!

I have Nero 12 Platinum worked many years a legit copy. Now it crashes randomly and there is no fix. Sure they want me to update.

I thought MKV and FLAC were pirate exclusive formats that would never receive support?
Wait, legit people use it too?
*Sings REM's "End of the World"*

Sure they dont suppor BluRay cause Sony wants a small fortune for licensing...

and x264....just in time for x265..

also, plenty of legit people use x264 for ripping their collection to disk...

and try listening to Flac sometime vs mp3 with a good sound system..

Dont give out the secrets!

I don't care about these, you can get codecs easier than vd from a $2 hooker. BD support is seriously bull shit the programs that have support are expensive and buggy.

Since when do only MKV's use x264? It's a container, not a codec. AFAIK Blu-Rays also use x264.

As for FLAC's that is dependent on the genre, but it's been proven that for MOST people will not notice any difference.

Microsoft

In the Windows Technical Preview it's been basically superceded by the newer "Xbox Video" application. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't dump WMP in the final build. They're certainly not going to put any money into fixing it up.

I don't care about these, you can get codecs easier than vd from a $2 hooker. BD support is seriously bull shit the programs that have support are expensive and buggy.

The average pc user tends to get plenty of diseases from downloading codecs packaged with things they did not want. Codecs are right behind pc cleaners and drivers for the worst things the clueless download off the Internet.

I'll still dump whatever built-in application comes with Win10 in favor of MPC-HC. But, it's nice to see them slowly adding support every version.

I was floored when they introduced native iso mounting in Win8.

Based on Microsoft's track record with media player/media center this will either be removed in Windows 11 or become DLC in the Microsoft store.

I really have to give Microsoft props for this decision. It sure would be nice if Apple did something similar, but I understand their reasons, and motivations, for not doing so.

The average pc user tends to get plenty of diseases from downloading codecs packaged with things they did not want. Codecs are right behind pc cleaners and drivers for the worst things the clueless download off the Internet.

Meh, most of the time you don't need your own codec as a majority of the content is streamed and those who download content should either look up how to view it properly, other wise they deserve the infection for being lazy.

As for FLAC's that is dependent on the genre, but it's been proven that for MOST people will not notice any difference.

Most people also get emotionally invested in strangers playing sports and/or watch reality TV. Most people are fucking idiots.

Most people also get emotionally invested in strangers playing sports and/or watch reality TV. Most people are fucking idiots.

And most people like music that goes *thud*thud*thud* and rattles their tiny brains around in their head like bans in a coffee tin.

Who the hell uses WMP.
That's beside the point.

Microsoft including support for MKV and FLAC means that any and all DirectShow-based media players installed on Windows 10 will instantly support for MKV and FLAC. There are a lot of DirectShow media players besides Windows Media Player.

I am firmly in the those that download/rip category and I have never had VLC not play a file properly...Most of what I watch is in MKV format (I don't believe in calling it a codec since it is a container for x264 as mentioned above)...

I am firmly in the those that download/rip category and I have never had VLC not play a file properly...Most of what I watch is in MKV format (I don't believe in calling it a codec since it is a container for x264 as mentioned above)...

Pretty much what you said. VLC eliminates the need for anything else, be it third party codec installations or baked into the OS support. I see no point in using anything else.

Pretty much what you said. VLC eliminates the need for anything else, be it third party codec installations or baked into the OS support. I see no point in using anything else.

I prefer XBMC (soon to be changed to CODI for whatever reason). For music, I just use Winamp 2.9x or Subsonic (for remote streaming or playing on the old stereo). I used to use VLC/MPC (and still do on occasion), but I think I switched, because of issues with 5.1 audio.

Bottom line is all audio is in FLAC. for those that say that most can't here the difference, I suspect they don't know what to listen for. It's kinda like those that say they can't see the difference between Blu Ray and DVD or Netflix HD, but it's pretty obvious once you see it.

With that said, the best reason for storing in FLAC is you can then use something like Subsonic to stream in whatever format you like....MP3, Vorbis or FLAC. I use FLAC at home and mp3 remotely (though I really should change to Vorbis).

Bottom line is all audio is in FLAC. for those that say that most can't here the difference, I suspect they don't know what to listen for.

Or most people have "computer speakers" being played using onboard audio which sounds like crap.

Get a decent receiver(ideally vintage from the 70s or early 80s), a good sound card or a DAC with Hi-Fi speakers (not those tiny thing that are used with most 5.1/7.1 receiver) and the difference will be quite clear!

It's absolute stupidity how FLAC isn't the audio format of choice yet. I mean, there's a reason why all films are released with lossless tracks these days. I don't fucking care if you can't hear a difference; the point is to have an exact copy of the original.

It's absolute stupidity how FLAC isn't the audio format of choice yet. I mean, there's a reason why all films are released with lossless tracks these days. I don't fucking care if you can't hear a difference; the point is to have an exact copy of the original.

Amen

I always buy my music in lossless format. Mp3 sounds just bad, really bad with lowpass filter which is the norm.

Doesn't stop me from installing K-Lite codec pack. It's the go-to Windows media codec pack.

Simple- Microsoft wants to exclude anyone from downloading any non-ms applications if possible.

Like VLC.

Keep them on the plantation.

I use MKV a lot for encodes, I know I'm strange. WDTVLIVE plays them without issues, which I cannot say the same about MP4 formats.

I agree for any modern system, but the story is different for people stuck on ancient hardware, e.g. the last VLC version that plays 60fps 1080p without massive stuttering on my backup system ([email protected]+Nvidia7950GTX) is 1.1.9. All versions above 2.x peg the CPU (e.g. just the default volume control via mouse wheel option consumes 15-20%). Meanwhile WMP+CoreAVC 3.0.1 play the same content without flinching, CPU never gets much above 40%. When this difference is pointed out in VLC's forum the official answer is that VLC's codecs aren't as good as CoreAVC's, and please use WMP.

Funny, I have had poor experiences with VLC (stuttering, ffw issues, slow to open, only once in a while though).

I always found MPC-HC to work better for me out of the box.

Don't know what it is, enough people like VLC so it must work...

Back