ASUS Announces Strix 7.1 Surround Gaming Headset

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS today announced Strix 7.1 True 7.1 Surround Gaming Headset, a top-of-the-line gaming headset that boasts a premium design with 10 discrete drivers for incredibly-immersive surround sound and precise positioning, as well as stunning lighting effects to let gamers express their own unique gaming style. Strix 7.1 comes with a plug-and-play USB audio station that features a headphone amplifier, 90% environmental noise cancellation performance for clear voice capture, and four game-audio spectrum profiles that enable gamers to tailor their audio experience to the type of game being played.

Taken from the ancient Roman and Greek work for owl, Strix is the name for the stunning new ASUS gaming-gear series. Strix means the keenest hearing and sharpest eyesight, and the ability to feel the environment, enabling the player to detect and react to even the slightest movement. Strix means survival on the very edge of instinct. Strix is in gamers’ blood, just as it is in ours.

Their Phoebus sound card was the worst piece of trash I have ever purchased. They never cared to create drivers to make basic functions in WIndows 8.1 work that are listed on the box art. I ended up purchasing a Creative Zx after waiting years for some support from Asus.

They might make great motherboards, but they suck at sound cards.

Aside from these looking ridiculous, all plastic construction, really? Garbage.

ive seen worse. Depends on the pricetag. I love my logitech g930s

"Strix means the keenest hearing and sharpest eyesight, and the ability to feel the environment, enabling the player to detect and react to even the slightest movement. Strix means survival on the very edge of instinct. Strix is in gamers’ blood, just as it is in ours."

who thinks up this stuff? Used to be I could overlook the Taiwanese companies Ad's and box art by just assuming a lack of English language skills. Looks like they got on track with grammar and spelling, but this is just pure silliness.

Yea here is why I won't buy them. I've not had a pair of swivel ear-cup plastic headphones last more than a year. I'm hard on them. And dropping 150+ a year on headphones is now fully in my past. Please SOMEONE design something like this with a fully metal construction to connect to the ear-cups that they can prove. I'm looking at you Logitech of the metal band but plastic connectors to the ear cups G35 headphones. Had both snap off at the same time.

And Creative labs with your wireless World of Warcraft THX certified all plastic construction crap headphones.

10 discrete drivers
You have 2 ears you only need 2 drivers the bigger the better frankly. Plus it's not like the 10 drivers are positioned to actually be around your head so you still need to run algorithms to convert the 7.1 input for your headset but instead of the known conversions of 7.1 into 2.0 to get a surround effect you had to create your own algorithms for your own headset it's madness. Nothing more than marketing junk

...it's not like the 10 drivers are positioned to actually be around your head...

I have had several 5.1 headsets. The front drivers are slightly in front of the cup, the mids are in the center, and the rears are slightly at the back. I can tell a difference in the direction of the sound (ex: gunshots, footsteps). Enough so that I can pinpoint the location of theses sounds in first person games. You don't get that with a 2 channel setup.

They do in fact sound like crap compared to a good pair of stereo headphones though.

Depends on your brain some formulas for converting 8 channels into 2 channel positional audio work better on some than others. It also really depends on the quality of the drivers. Really you only need 2 drivers 2 quality drivers will do it only issue is getting them to respond well just off usb power, that might change with usb 3.0 and built in arm processors to headsets so you don't have software on computer slowing it down as well.

"Strix means the keenest hearing and sharpest eyesight, and the ability to feel the environment, enabling the player to detect and react to even the slightest movement. Strix means survival on the very edge of instinct. Strix is in gamers’ blood, just as it is in ours."

who thinks up this stuff? Used to be I could overlook the Taiwanese companies Ad's and box art by just assuming a lack of English language skills. Looks like they got on track with grammar and spelling, but this is just pure silliness.

Hey man they're trying. I'd say its a big improvement over "lucky rainbow dragon headphone for your digital dream lifestyle" of only a few years ago.

Those are butt ugly. I have a pair of Logitech G930's and they are still holding up, I just got tired of charging them and the charging dock was flaky to say the least. I always ended up using my cellphone charger. I went back to a wired pair of CM Storm Sirus 5.1 connected to a Sound Blaster Fata1ty Pro sound card.

i never got these gimmic surround headsets, my Sennheiser's playing games like CS and such i could always very clearly hear what direction someone was moving in, bullets, everything....

To this day as others have said, your better of spending good money on stereo vs cheap surround.

before i pass judgement i would like to hear kyles thoughts on these. i would like to see a review for this vs the same price solution with a dedicated sound card plus headphones for the same price. (these are clearly marketed towards those without a dedicated sound card) a bonus would be to add a review comparing the headphones directly to a similarly priced headphone set hooked to the same sound card.

i might do something like the Sennheiser Black HD 280 PRO 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Circumaural Professional DJ & Studio Headphones ($79.99) plus a creative sound blaster z ($77).

Then, pit it against a pair of Sennheiser Black HD 558's, both using a creative zxr.

Back