The Biggest Tech Turkeys Of 2014

HardOCP News

[H] News
C|Net has posted its annual list of the biggest tech turkeys of the year. Overall a decent list, but I am sure you guys can come up with a list of things they missed. ;)

Speaking of security issues, the most high-profile snafu was the theft of nude photos of celebrities, including actress Jennifer Lawrence and model Kate Upton, which were said to have been taken from the celebrities' private iCloud accounts. Apple denied that poor security architecture led to the image leak but conceded it could have done more to warn customers of the danger of hackers. It bolstered iCloud's security alerts toward that end.

A list I would be hard pressed to disagree with for once. though I have to raise my eyebrows at the last few simply because while they are "loosely" tech related they aren't really devices/software that flopped.

Aereo wasn't a technical or marketing flop, it was executed by regulators bureaucrats and lawyers because it was a likely success.

Aereo wasn't a technical or marketing flop, it was executed by regulators bureaucrats and lawyers because it was a likely success.

No, it was a failed attempt at trying to use what they thought was a loophole at getting around proper payment for broadcast rights. You could go buy up all of Aereo's equipment right now and reopen the service, bump up the price some to cover the rebroadcast fees and have no issue offering the service. They however had dug themselves a hole by fighting against paying the fees for so long that they weren't able to turn around and start to do that at the end.

They got shut down because cable service and satellite service have went through this before and they are forced to pay rebroadcast fees to rebroadcast local stations to their customers. If you tell another company that they don't have to pay because you like them more then suddenly you have no ground to keep charging the existing companies.

Everyone has to be treated equal. Even though most people do seem to be of the mindset that everything in the world should be free to own, people do like actually making money.

Back