More Uber Craziness

HardOCP News

[H] News
I didn't even know there was such a thing as "ghost texting" someone. :eek:

UberMSG: “Congratulations! Your friend [George] wants you to be an Uber partner! Both of you can make money when you APPLY HERE: [URL with referral code]. George told Newsweek that he neither gave Uber permission to contact his girlfriend, nor manually referred her. And the referral code in the text wasn’t his, either.

Uber told Newsweek, “We are looking into how these messages may have been sent. Uber does not ask for or have access to drivers’ contacts stored on their personal phones. To refer friends, drivers have to manually and locally send from their phone. For any drivers whose friends sign up as a result of these messages, we will ensure that they receive the proper referral bonus.”
Sounds more likely that there is simply another Uber driver using a company directory of some sort and the referral code is theirs. Should be easy to track the person(s) doing that down that way, and promptly fire them.

Seriously, why do media organizations and "reporters" have such a bug up their ass about Uber. They are really stretching thin to pin non-issues on them.

It's not that hard to spoof a return number in a SMS message. This seems likely to have happened.

Based on Uber's business practices I've already decided I'm never using their service.

Seriously, why do media organizations and "reporters" have such a bug up their ass about Uber. They are really stretching thin to pin non-issues on them.

Assuming this story is true, you think this is a non-issue?

Based on Uber's business practices I've already decided I'm never using their service.

In comparison to cab companies who run an absolute bullshit racket? Seriously, fuck cabbies. I was skeptical of Uber until I tried it on a whim, 100x better than taking a conventional cab.

Private driver to take me where I'm going and back. 100 dollars.
Uber to take me same place and back. 160 dollars.
I disputed that charge and they scaled it back.

Because their business model and practices are terrible. It's a downfall waiting to happen.

Private driver to take me where I'm going and back. 100 dollars.
Uber to take me same place and back. 160 dollars.
I disputed that charge and they scaled it back.

Last time I used UBER it cost me ~$20 to get from LAX to Santa Monica. That same trip easily costs $50+ with a cab.

And if you think they went a bad route you can login afterwards, get a map of the route you took, forward to support and get a refund. I've done that a few times, never got anything but an apology and money back.

There is no going back from this.

And if you think they went a bad route you can login afterwards, get a map of the route you took, forward to support and get a refund. I've done that a few times, never got anything but an apology and money back.

There is no going back from this.

So, you like their service and however they behave, like what's described in the article linked here, is ok?

No being poor is very convenient, and the service is amazing.
I have two cars and two motorcycles, but if I'm going on vacation for three weeks I'm not leaving my car at the airport to be broken into for that long.

And if I'm flying over for a wedding, I probably can't rely on friends in the area and a rental isn't ideal if I'm going to have a few drinkeepoos.

At that point I'm usually looking at a unionized cab company, and yeah I've had some interesting experiences with them as have most of us.

The fact that I did not install the Uber app on my phone yet it magically appeared with the latest update from AT&T (which means I can't uninstall it without rooting the phone) then this article pops up is enough to make you go hmmm. It's bad enough phones come preloaded to the brim with crap-ware but now every new forced update shovels even more vulnerable poo on the pile.

So, you like their service and however they behave, like what's described in the article linked here, is ok?

Like most articles slamming Uber(someone's running a PR smear campaign), the situation is not being accurately portrayed and that article is garbage.

All that aside, compared to the business practices of any cab company Uber is still pumpkin fucking pie.

Like most articles slamming Uber(someone's running a PR smear campaign), the situation is not being accurately portrayed and that article is garbage.

All that aside, compared to the business practices of any cab company Uber is still pumpkin fucking pie.

Do enlighten us about how this is not accurately portrayed.

And other companies behaving badly does not excuse Uber's bad behavior.

Do enlighten us about how this is not accurately portrayed.

And other companies behaving badly does not excuse Uber's bad behavior.
No one is talking about excuses, we're talking about fair coverage and putting things in perspective.

Five taxi drivers rape passengers this year, and no one says a thing. Some Uber driver figures out how to spoof referrals to himself from other drivers, its front page news around the web. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!! Imagine if the Democrats had political opponents harassed by the IRS as a huge and massive abuse of power that goes up to the top and no one said a thing, but then Republicans take a quote out of context that some perceive to be slightly misleading and the media blows up about it. That's called a double-standard, and that's what's being discussed.

Back