Chiphell: AMD 3xx perf. leak

f83a571c_gisin.jpeg

5d8ff129_IywK9.png

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-1182382-1-1.html

Smokes the GTX 980.

Last edited:
If it is true, probably to be expected.

It'd be quite embarassing if their new flagship didn't beat nVidia's

If true, power consumption tells an interesting tale. I'd be interested in a 380x(?) version with lower power requirements and a quiet operation.

If legit the bravo for getting that power consumption under control.

Just imsgine with better drivers.:eek:
I'm pretty sure this is a midrange. nvdia with have to release a real highend gpu soon. GTX 980 and its not so highend specs ain't gonna cut it.

Last edited:
Performance is looking good if these are legitimate. Power consumption is looking amazing also.

Just imsgine with better drivers.:eek:
I'm pretty sure this is a midrange. nvdia with have to release a real highend gpu soon. GTX 980 and its not so highend specs ain't gonna cut it.

Performance looks very good, but it's still not a big enough increase IMO for those that want to game at 4K with all the bells and whistles.

Also, judging from that bench the full-fat Maxwell (GM200) will likely still end up being 30% faster than this chip. So hopefully this is not the flagship next-gen chip from AMD otherwise we're going to see another 1000$+ Titan from Nvidia.

If this is the 390X then we are screwed.

However someone did in that thread did mention the possibility of this being the 380X, and if that's the case then there's still plenty of hope left.

Well that's a pathetically weak showing for the 390X then, if that's indeed the 390X.

Or do you mean this is an even weaker chip like the 370X?

I'm not sure how 23 games get summed up to a single number and still mean anything, but I like the number none the less :p
The power also looks good.

If it is 380X, I think my regret for buying sli 970's just broke the meter twice.

If it is 390X, while it is quite some improvement, it probably would mean nVidia would still sit back on this generation...

If it is 370x.... I am not going to even start..

Well it does say "simple." I just can't see this anymore than a midrange. Maybe a 390 worst case scenario.

The thread is suggesting that it may be a typo though (probably should have said 'sample')

This has to be midrange, No way AMD and Asetek have an agreement to cool a 200w part.

Hopefully this means they left room for a nice 390x.

Just something to think about, If this is using the new HBM tech, I know it can save at least 30-50w on overall power.

interesting, pretty low power consumption and good performance. as with all the early leaked slides i'll believe it when i see it.

My guess is that these test results will probably turn out to be the GTX 980Ti :D

No matter which card it is, I guess it's always nice to see improvement. that power usage looks great.

Going by what AMDs been doing in the past, I figure the new 380x would be a slightly faster/more efficient version of the 290x. Such as seen with the 7970-280x cards.
I would be a bit surprised to see the 380(x) be completely new cards.

Last edited:
Since Captain Jack (Sparrow) is a pirate, hense Pirate Islands i doubt its an Nvidia product

Yup, gotta agree it's pointless to water cool a 200w card, if anything it looks mid-range to me. Which would be very good news!

Not bad @ 25% over the 290X and 15% over the GTX 980. I guess it just depends on the price and the model at this point. Lets hope it isn't the 390X or at the very least a 390. Based on die size calculations Nvidia still has room for approximately another 25% improvement by adding more SM's (2560 cores) to equal about the same size as the GTX 780 Ti's die. If AMD has room in the tank for another 25% improvement over whats shown, then Nvidia will be in some trouble and be forced to drop Pascal on a new node sooner than expected.

Performance looks very good, but it's still not a big enough increase IMO for those that want to game at 4K with all the bells and whistles.

Also, judging from that bench the full-fat Maxwell (GM200) will likely still end up being 30% faster than this chip. So hopefully this is not the flagship next-gen chip from AMD otherwise we're going to see another 1000$+ Titan from Nvidia.

4k is what crossfire is for.

If it is 380X, I think my regret for buying sli 970's just broke the meter twice.

If it is 390X, while it is quite some improvement, it probably would mean nVidia would still sit back on this generation...

If it is 370x.... I am not going to even start..

I lol'd at this post

There's quite a valid reason to water cool a 200 watt GPU with an AIO cooler. I have a 7870xt GPU (cut down 7900 series gpu and not a 7800). It pulls over 200 watts under full load and dumps the heat right into my case for the most part.

All that heat rises and raises my AIO coolant temps by around 7 degrees with the radiator fans under volted. Now imagine this with someone running an air cooled rig. You're suddenly feeding preheated air to you cpu cooling, ram, and motherboard. By using an AIO cooler for the GPU, you can remove that heat from the case and not have to use it for cooling your other parts. As soon as I can put together a custom loop, I plan on doing exactly this with my rig and putting my AIO on it.

4k is what crossfire is for.

I wait for single cards to run such.
while my single 290 runs dragon age inq for example its not for me to do two cards.
I dont like the issues dual cards has either brand.
I rather adjust a setting or two than to have issues with games due to scaling or such.

soon..

There's quite a valid reason to water cool a 200 watt GPU with an AIO cooler. I have a 7870xt GPU (cut down 7900 series gpu and not a 7800). It pulls over 200 watts under full load and dumps the heat right into my case for the most part.

All that heat rises and raises my AIO coolant temps by around 7 degrees with the radiator fans under volted. Now imagine this with someone running an air cooled rig. You're suddenly feeding preheated air to you cpu cooling, ram, and motherboard. By using an AIO cooler for the GPU, you can remove that heat from the case and not have to use it for cooling your other parts. As soon as I can put together a custom loop, I plan on doing exactly this with my rig and putting my AIO on it.

again, they will be cutting out non-hardware enthusiasts and OTC custom rigs if they do, so its not a wise marketing choice.

Installation of a CLC is non-trivial, and wont fit as a replacement/upgrade card in over the counter custom rigs that werent designed to fit a rad.

As a hardware enthusiast myself, i dont want a damn radiator in my single GPU setup.

Anything less than a dual-gpu card with that CLC will significantly impact sales.

That is a valid reason for the enthusiast to watercool. What temp the rest of the system is at is of no concern for AMD.

Where and how do you come up with this? Gm200 30% faster than this 390x leak?

Things to notice.

This is an engineering sample
Most likely running at reduced clock speed
Most likely running on early beta drivers

If it is already 15% faster than a 980, expect another 5-15% when the clocks increase and better drivers are out.

If it is true, probably to be expected.

It'd be quite embarassing if their new flagship didn't beat nVidia's

Considering the 970/980 are just mid-range chips (GM204), AMD needs to target the full Maxwell (GM200/210).

Problem for AMD is that Maxwell has been around nearly a year now and NVIDIA has probably got a successor to it lined up. So they not only have to fight GM204/210 but whatever else NVIDIA has cooked up after more than a year. They are pretty far behind right now and it will be tough to catch up.

Considering the 970/980 are just mid-range chips (GM204), AMD needs to target the full Maxwell (GM200/210).

Problem for AMD is that Maxwell has been around nearly a year now and NVIDIA has probably got a successor to it lined up. So they not only have to fight GM204/210 but whatever else NVIDIA has cooked up after more than a year. They are pretty far behind right now and it will be tough to catch up.

Wait, what? No, only small maxwell has been around, and it's since February of this year, not a year.

970 and 980 have only been out since September, so 2 months.

If you try to run the Maxwell-only demo on the 750Ti, it will claim it's not Maxwell and won't run. So they sort of only consider recent 970/980 to be official Maxwell apparently.

a. reference cards almost always use blowers, which exhaust outside of the case.

b. open design coolers have no effect on anything unless you're the kind of person that cares about losing 100 MHz on your overclock when you're already at 5 GHz. 7 C is nothing when your shit is running at 60 C. my dad uses a 4890 (5W higher tdp than your card) with an open cooler and a Q9400 with the stock intel heatsink and his temps are perfectly fine.

it makes sense to use a clc for a 290X or a 295X2, where a simple blower won't cut it, not a card that uses a third less power.

Seems like a small improvement to me, I can't get that excited about these incremental improvements. They need a much larger gain, they should not be targeting what nvidia currently has on the market, they need to target what nvidia will drop later on. The 980 is clearly not nvidias top end part, it's just a precursor to the TI part coming right after amd drops their next card. THAT is the card they need to show up, and it does not look like this does. And even if the Ti only matches performance, they need to do MORE than that to sway the nvidia faithful to switch away, and even then it will be a tough sell.

Back