Blu-ray Discs Make Solar Cells More Efficient

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's a really good use for that Blu-ray version of Maleficent you bought because your significant other forced you to. ;)

Researchers at Northwestern University have hit upon a way to give Blu-ray discs a second chance at usefulness: They make excellent molds for imprinting solar cells with quasi-random nanostructures. Even the ones with terrible movies on them.

Maleficent was a good movie, you chauvinistic CIS bastard. Check your privilege.

BTW, so I get it has a pattern, but whats wrong with a DVD instead? Did Sony pay for this research or what? ;)

BTW, so I get it has a pattern, but whats wrong with a DVD instead? Did Sony pay for this research or what? ;)

From TFA, the pits and lands on a Blu-Ray correspond to the ideal wavelengths for this application.

I'm waiting for the MPAA suit for unauthorized reproduction of the disc.

Maleficent was not a good movie, it shoudl have been called Beneficent ¬¬

Great thing about the blurays discs btw

FTA:
Blu-ray had the misfortune to arrive at the very end of the era of optical storage media. Blu-ray discs are (were) certainly better than DVDs, but it was an incremental improvement at best, as they didn’t offer the same kind of revolution that the DVD offered over VHS. And with the cloud and high speed Internet becoming the standards for media storage and distribution, the future for the Blu-ray disc is a bleak one, full of shiny plastic shards in recycling bins.

Either this guy is blind or has no clue about the actual resolutions of physical media today. If this is troll bait I'll bite.

NTSC broadcast was about 440 wide by 483 wide. That is 212,520 pixels per frame.

NTSC VHS was 320 × 480 (this is where 640 x 480 came from). That is 153,600 pixels per frame.

If you ever plan on capturing video from VHS I recommend a four head Hi-Fi VHS player connected through a video stabilizer and into a Hauppauge capture device. I have the Hauppauge 1213 WinTV-HVR-2250 PCI-E x1 Dual TV Tuner and have been extremely impressed with the output. Comparing the VHS output from a VHS tape in new condition to the VOB file of a DVD I could detect no visible difference.

NTSC DVD is 720 x 480 in either 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios. That is 345,600 pixels per frame.

NTSC Blu-Ray is 1920 x 1080 in the 16:9 aspect ratio. That is 2,073,600 pixels per frame.

2,073,600 / 345,600 == 6 times as many pixels per frame.

1920 / 720 == 2.666... times the width.
1080 / 480 == 2.25 times the height.

DVD is encoding using MPEG2 typically at about 8,800Kbps maximum bitrate. Blu-Ray can use MPEG2, H.264, and VC1 for video. H.264 video is typically encoded at around 24Mbps.

Netflix and Amazon do support 1080p content but there is no way in hell that they are delivering 24Mbps video. Netflix delivers the previously 24Mbps content at about 3Mbps.

I worked at RealNetworks creating VOD content using H.264 video with AAC audio in an MP4 container before our group was dissolved last month. The server could segment the MP4 content to be delivered via HLS or MPEG-DASH. It could also deliver the same content to any flash player. Live streams that were also H.264 video with AAC audio were repacketized on the fly to the appropriate player. I was their onsite encoding expert. Everyone, including the RealPlayer team came to ask me questions. Sadly that group could not borrow me for my encoding knowledge as I was hip deep in work and it was only a three month stint.

My home hobby is to convert raw VOB and MPEG-TS content using the 1,600 line heavily documented bash shell script that I wrote. I will occasionally use the MSU Video Quality Metric Tool to analyze output but that is rare now. The content that I output is delivered via a BSD jail running on my FreeNAS server. Nginx runs in that jail which provides the content for my Roksbox channel on my Roku.

A high action movie such as Transformers 4: Age of Extinction will encode to a 7,733Kbps stream when using CRF 21 and encoded using the veryfast preset and the baseline profile. Grabbing the bit per pixel density, 0.210 in this case, and then performing a two pass average bitrate encode to that bit per pixel density using the medium preset (three reference frames) and the high444 profile at that same rate results in a "CRF" value of about 19.54.

My job took me to the Showtime network operations center on Long Island a few years ago. I had the chance to see 24Mbps streaming coming straight into the NOC before it is sent up to the satellite, down from the satellite (2 second delay), and then transrated to a much lower quality to fit all of those HD channels onto your cable TV because more channels are better, right? Total delay from the NOC to your TV is about four seconds.

As the guy is probably blind he is fortunate to not be able to see the difference between DVD, Blu-ray, over the air TV, cable TV, and streaming media. There are times watching streaming video and cable TV that I want to claw my eyes out.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

The reason behind the entire 'Blu-Ray' nomenclature is that they use blue laser to read and burn data onto the discs rather than Red for DVD and IR for CD's, shorter wavelengths allow the pits on the disc to be smaller, and hence store the same amount of data. I assume that the pits on DVD/CDs are too big for this application.

Back