Two Xbox One's, one house, do I need two Gold memberships?

jnick

2[H]4U
I have an XBL Gold account that I use on my XB1. My wife is looking at the XB1 and we will most likely be getting her one before year's end. Right now, her XBL gamertag is on my xbox so she has access to all the gold features.

When she gets her Xbox, do I have to buy another Gold subscription or can she "share" mine? I know the new methodology behind MS killing the "family pack" was to allow households to share one Gold subscription. If her and I want to play the same game, online (for example, destiny) do I need to buy her a Gold subscription or can we both use mine?

Thanks!

Yeap, Xbox Gold family share only goes across a single xbox. Once you get a new xbox a new membership plan is needed.

Yes one console has to be your home console and your gold on that "home" console provides gold to others on the console but some one has to have gold on the other one for shared gold on that one.

Example

My living room console is my sons home console but I auto sign in on it not him.

His bedroom console is my home console but he auto signs in on that one.

We both have gold

Now this allows us to play any digital game at the same time only having to buy one copy ie bought destiny digital and we both play at same time.

Advantage
Sure you pay for two gold BUT we can both play digital games together only having to buy ONE copy!

Yes one console has to be your home console and your gold on that "home" console provides gold to others on the console but some one has to have gold on the other one for shared gold on that one.

Example

My living room console is my sons home console but I auto sign in on it not him.

His bedroom console is my home console but he auto signs in on that one.

We both have gold

Now this allows us to play any digital game at the same time only having to buy one copy ie bought destiny digital and we both play at same time.

Advantage
Sure you pay for two gold BUT we can both play digital games together only having to buy ONE copy!

What? Really? I didn't know that part! Does PS4 have something like this?

To add to HisSvt76... you don't both need to have GOLD to have access. Only one account is required to have gold. My brother and I share digital purchases as well as XBL Gold, and I know for a fact that it works.

yes.. just login with account you bought game with and download/activate
then switch account play the game

Seriously? I remember in the 360 you needed to be logged into the main account to play digital downloads. That's crazy they didn't keep it like that for the One/PS4.

Seriously? I remember in the 360 you needed to be logged into the main account to play digital downloads. That's crazy they didn't keep it like that for the One/PS4.

No, the 360 just has to have the game on the console.
I got my friends newer 360 when he passed away in June and he had Skyrim and the new Halo on it in digital. I wanted to copy my old 360 drive to the new one but was wondering if I would lose the 2 digital games.
I did the migrate and the 2 games are still there and I played them, his old account is no longer on the 360 and I can play both games.
The migrating didn't delete them off of the console, just removed his account and moved my account and all my content onto the new 360.

To add to HisSvt76... you don't both need to have GOLD to have access. Only one account is required to have gold. My brother and I share digital purchases as well as XBL Gold, and I know for a fact that it works.

This is true for one console.

Again when you have two consoles one is your home console gold is shared on THAT console.

AGAIN

To game share between the two only buying ONE digital game

Xb 1 set as her home console but you log in

Xb2 set as your home console she logs in

All games are shared and completely playable at same time without the need of the other to be logged in.

But you will both NEED gold for this to work trust me!

If you have one system sure you only need one gold membership and anybody can play.

To do what I said though you need to each have gold. Its cheaper than buying multiple copies of games at least.

Don't even get me started on Sony I have my ps+ account sure great all shared but wanna log into a vita or pstv with said sub accounts nope up yours PITA!

Gold is required for that account to play online, you can play whatever you want offline.
Gold is tied to an account, if you have 2 accounts on your console, yours is gold and the other isn't, then the other can't play online, but either can play any digital game that is on that console.

If you have 2 consoles, the account that has the digital game tied to it just has to log into the second console and download the game to it and now any account on that console can play it offline.

Every account needs gold to play online, so if you have 2 consoles and you both want to play online, both accounts will have to be gold.

This is true for one console.

Again when you have two consoles one is your home console gold is shared on THAT console.

AGAIN

To game share between the two only buying ONE digital game

Xb 1 set as her home console but you log in

Xb2 set as your home console she logs in

All games are shared and completely playable at same time without the need of the other to be logged in.

But you will both NEED gold for this to work trust me!

If you have one system sure you only need one gold membership and anybody can play.

To do what I said though you need to each have gold. Its cheaper than buying multiple copies of games at least.

Don't even get me started on Sony I have my ps+ account sure great all shared but wanna log into a vita or pstv with said sub accounts nope up yours PITA!

No. I am not sharing one Xbox one console. My brother has his own. He is using my xbl gold as well as sharing games bought digitally.

No. I am not sharing one Xbox one console. My brother has his own. He is using my xbl gold as well as sharing games bought digitally.

If that is working fantastic my understanding is that isn't how its supposed to work but great.

I still pay for two anyway with my son and I still playing on Xbox 360 as well

If that is working fantastic my understanding is that isn't how its supposed to work but great.

I still pay for two anyway with my son and I still playing on Xbox 360 as well

Yeah. Same exact method you stated but you don't need the two gold. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up :p.

Yeah. Same exact method you stated but you don't need the two gold. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up :p.

So I'm guessing that they are then just allowing the ones in your home group to share the benefit on any Xbox one.

I know for sure that it doesn't carry to 360 as I have myself ,son,wife,daughter on Xbox one and everyone has gold but go to the 360 and my son and I are the only active gold there.

So OP I guess you'll be good with one just make sure you asign the consoles like I said and make sure her id is in you home group.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, but man was that confusing! LOL.

So here is the split. My Xbox is downstairs in "The man cave". This is the only xbox we have now. My ID and her ID is on MY xbox. When I buy her Xbox, it will be going upstairs on that TV. So with that said, what is the breakdown?

XB1 (mine - downstairs) - Set as her home console, but I log in and play just as I do now. Her GT does exist on this console.
XB2 (hers - upstiars) - Set as my home console, but she logs in and plays normally. My GT does exist on this console.

And to confirm, this will allow us to play the same game, at the same time, together? So for example, we can be in the same fireteam in Destiny with only one copy?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, but man was that confusing! LOL.

So here is the split. My Xbox is downstairs in "The man cave". This is the only xbox we have now. My ID and her ID is on MY xbox. When I buy her Xbox, it will be going upstairs on that TV. So with that said, what is the breakdown?

XB1 (mine - downstairs) - Set as her home console, but I log in and play just as I do now. Her GT does exist on this console.
XB2 (hers - upstiars) - Set as my home console, but she logs in and plays normally. My GT does exist on this console.

And to confirm, this will allow us to play the same game, at the same time, together? So for example, we can be in the same fireteam in Destiny with only one copy?

Sounds like you are making it too complicated, sorry I repeat information as well. You can put all the accounts on each xbox without issues. In the past if you were to use your sign in at someone elses house your home xbox would be disconnected and you would have to migrate your account back over. You can also sign into multiple xboxes on the same network but can only play online games with one account. For example you may use your xbox account with netflix on one xbox and the same account to play a game on another xbox as long as they are on the same network or else you will be kicked off and have to re sign in. In order to have 2 accounts in the same house on 2 xboxes to play the same game you need 2 game discs.

Sounds like you are making it too complicated, sorry I repeat information as well. You can put all the accounts on each xbox without issues. In the past if you were to use your sign in at someone elses house your home xbox would be disconnected and you would have to migrate your account back over. You can also sign into multiple xboxes on the same network but can only play online games with one account. For example you may use your xbox account with netflix on one xbox and the same account to play a game on another xbox as long as they are on the same network or else you will be kicked off and have to re sign in. In order to have 2 accounts in the same house on 2 xboxes to play the same game you need 2 game discs.
Sorry but this is misinformation. If the games are digitally purchased they can be played on both systems at the same time with only one xbl gold subscription.

For XBox One only.

Sorry but this is misinformation. If the games are digitally purchased they can be played on both systems at the same time with only one xbl gold subscription.

For XBox One only.

How would it be possible to play destiny on two consoles using the same GT?

How would it be possible to play destiny on two consoles using the same GT?

You're completely reading what he is saying incorrectly.

Xbox 1 (His) - Add his Xbox to her account as main Xbox. He logs on to play on his GT like normal. Get access to all her digital downloads and games.

Xbox 2 (Hers) - Add her Xbox to his account as main Xbox. She logs on to play on her GT like normal. Gets access to all his digital downloads and games.

Also, I know this works because I do this with my brother! who also owns an xbox one. You don't need to be in the same household for this to work folks.

You're completely reading what he is saying incorrectly.

Xbox 1 (His) - Add his Xbox to her account as main Xbox. He logs on to play on his GT like normal. Get access to all her digital downloads and games.

Xbox 2 (Hers) - Add her Xbox to his account as main Xbox. She logs on to play on her GT like normal. Gets access to all his digital downloads and games.

Also, I know this works because I do this with my brother! who also owns an xbox one. You don't need to be in the same household for this to work folks.

So you are saying my friend can load my GT on to their xbox and install my Destiny Digital Guardian edition onto their xbox log into their GT and bum off my purchase and play with me at a separate location?

So you are saying my friend can load my GT on to their xbox and install my Destiny Digital Guardian edition onto their xbox log into their GT and bum off my purchase and play with me at a separate location?

Yes. As long as he logs on to your gamertag on his xbox one (just once) and makes his Xbox One your GT's main xbox.

That is all that is required. Then he just goes to "My games & apps" and he will see all your digital game purchases and can download from there.

Steps:

Log onto your account on his Xbox One

"Make this my home Xbox"

Log out.

Now he can log onto his own GT and go to "Games and Apps" and your digital purchases will be there for him to download. Your own xbox wont be the main xbox for your GT anymore, but you just log onto that like normal and play. You can also add his GT to your xbox one and make your xbox one his GT's main as well so you can share purchases.

Last edited:
everyone seems to be talking about 2 different things at the same time.
The digital games just need to be downloaded to the console and every account can play the game.
If you want to play online, each GT needs a Gold Sub.
So if you have 2 consoles, the GT that owns the game just has to log in, download the game to each and you are done.

If you and your wife want to play online together, she will need a gold sub on her GT.

everyone seems to be talking about 2 different things at the same time.
The digital games just need to be downloaded to the console and every account can play the game.
If you want to play online, each GT needs a Gold Sub.
So if you have 2 consoles, the GT that owns the game just has to log in, download the game to each and you are done.

If you and your wife want to play online together, she will need a gold sub on her GT.

HisSvt76 knows what I am talking about. For the last time you do not need two gold subs if you own an Xbox One. I already have it up and running since XB1 launch with two XB1's.

Also, you NEED to make the Xbox one your main on your second XB1 or else you won't be able to start the game as it will tell you to buy the game.

HisSvt76 knows what I am talking about. For the last time you do not need two gold subs if you own an Xbox One. I already have it up and running since XB1 launch with two XB1's.

Also, you NEED to make the Xbox one your main on your second XB1 or else you won't be able to start the game as it will tell you to buy the game.

Yeah this is correct its all tied to the home console assignments.

My son and I still each have gold because we still play on Xbox 360's too

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but going this way and that way, throughout the thread, has me needing a little clarification. Haha.

So here's my scenario (mind you, all devices will be on same network, using same port, in one home):
-Currently, I have just one Xbox One, and it is my GT's "Home Xbox", obviously. I have also set up a GT for my wife, but she doesn't do anything with it, at all. I also do not have it set up to automatically sign anyone in (opting to use Kinect, instead). My Gold sub is registered to my GT, not my wife's (she does not have a Gold sub, at all). I have decided to go all-in on digital purchases, with respect to Xbox One media.

What I want:
-I would like to purchase a second Xbox One, and use it at another TV in my home, as I've become spoiled with, "Xbox on," etc. I would also like to play video games when my wife is watching one of her godawful "Real Housewives of..." TV shows, or when my daughter is watching Frozen (for the billionth time); but that's all irrelevant. I don't want to have to buy all of my games (whether online or offline) again (or twice, in the future, for that matter), and I do not foresee my wife and I playing the same video game together, at the same time, from two different locations (she's not a gamer).

My understanding of the conversation is this:
Step 1: After purchasing a second Xbox One, I would hook it up to the second TV - that's the easy part.
Step 2: Once it's hooked up, I would sign in, using my GT, and tell my second Xbox One to change my "Home Xbox" to this Xbox One.
Step 3: I would go back to my first Xbox One, sign in under my wife's GT (which does not have a Gold sub attached to it, except through my own), and make it her GT's "Home Xbox".
Once that is all done, I can download all of my games to my second Xbox One, and I will be able to play any game, online or offline - completely free of charge - from either console, at anytime. Any future purchase would be downloadable, and playable, from either device, having to only purchase it once - I'm still only paying for one Gold sub, as well. This will not work for anymore than two Xbox Ones, attached to a Gold sub.

My questions:
-Is my understanding of the conversation correct?
-Is it possible to log in to the second (new) Xbox One with both of our GTs, at the same time (to have access to my Gold sub), and just make it her "Home Xbox" from the start (to skip the back and forth logins)?
-Will automatic login need to be turned on to complete this task?
-Is it conceivable that this is technically just a bug, which MS could patch with a software update, leaving me with my **** in my hand?
-Are there any known limitations to this setup (i.e. apps, such as Skype or Plex, won't work properly)?

Thanks for your replies. I'm not trying to pull one over on MS, but if I had purchased a game disc, I would be able to take it back and forth, as needed. I think that digital purchases should be no different, as long as you can verify who you are and that you own a digital copy of a game. I just don't want to buy the second Xbox One, do something wrong during setup, then have to return it because I screwed up. Or worse, I do everything right, then in three months, MS patches what it sees as a bug, then there's no returning the Xbox, and I have to purchase everything again if I want something more than a $500 voice-guided TV accessory.

My questions:
-Is my understanding of the conversation correct?
-Is it possible to log in to the second (new) Xbox One with both of our GTs, at the same time (to have access to my Gold sub), and just make it her "Home Xbox" from the start (to skip the back and forth logins)?
-Will automatic login need to be turned on to complete this task?
-Is it conceivable that this is technically just a bug, which MS could patch with a software update, leaving me with my **** in my hand?
-Are there any known limitations to this setup (i.e. apps, such as Skype or Plex, won't work properly)?

Thanks for your replies. I'm not trying to pull one over on MS, but if I had purchased a game disc, I would be able to take it back and forth, as needed. I think that digital purchases should be no different, as long as you can verify who you are and that you own a digital copy of a game. I just don't want to buy the second Xbox One, do something wrong during setup, then have to return it because I screwed up. Or worse, I do everything right, then in three months, MS patches what it sees as a bug, then there's no returning the Xbox, and I have to purchase everything again if I want something more than a $500 voice-guided TV accessory.

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you are trying to do is completely different and none of the steps here should even apply to you. OP wants to have two Xboxes, with two different gamertags, sharing one set of digital purchases and one Gold subscription. That's where all the setting home consoles and then logging into the other one comes into play.

What it sounds like you want to do is just access your one gamertag and it's library of purchases on two consoles in your home. If so, that should be as simple as setting yourself up to auto-login in both systems, and you should have access to all of your purchases from either console. In this scenario, you wouldn't be able to be playing something on Xbox 1 on your GT while someone else also uses your GT to play games on Xbox 2.

This is very simple

Xbox #1 set as your home console have other user auto log in on that one

Xbox #2 you autologin on that one

As long as a user is in your home family group yourself and up to three other live id's they share your games and benefits.

My sons xbox is my home console and mine is his and all games are shared and work perfect they designed it this way every digital game i buy is playable by each of us at same time on both consoles.

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you are trying to do is completely different and none of the steps here should even apply to you. OP wants to have two Xboxes, with two different gamertags, sharing one set of digital purchases and one Gold subscription. That's where all the setting home consoles and then logging into the other one comes into play.

What it sounds like you want to do is just access your one gamertag and it's library of purchases on two consoles in your home. If so, that should be as simple as setting yourself up to auto-login in both systems, and you should have access to all of your purchases from either console. In this scenario, you wouldn't be able to be playing something on Xbox 1 on your GT while someone else also uses your GT to play games on Xbox 2.

Great! Thanks for the reply! But just to be clear: the setup process listed is SOLELY for co-op (LAN-esque) style play with one Gold sub, otherwise, simply logging in with my GT on a second Xbox One on my network will give me what I'm looking for?

Great! Thanks for the reply! But just to be clear: the setup process listed is SOLELY for co-op (LAN-esque) style play with one Gold sub, otherwise, simply logging in with my GT on a second Xbox One on my network will give me what I'm looking for?

Yeah, exactly. All the steps in the thread are to get it working so two different people can be playing together. If you are the only one playing, you should have no problems just logging into either Xbox and having access to all your purchased content. AFIAK you can login to anyones X1, on any network, and access your digital content. It just wouldn't be accessible on other gamertags once you've logged out.

So yeah, if it's just you playing, you will be just fine. Set yourself up to auto-login on both of your Xboxes and all your digital goodies should show up on either console just fine. The only time you'd run into an issue is if you were playing on your primary xbox, and then someone else in your home fired up your second xbox and also tried to play one of your digital games under your gamertag. If you ever need to accomplish that, thats where all the extra steps outlined in this thread come into play.

As for things like Netflix, Plex, etc. you shouldn't have problems there either. While I can't confirm, I do believe you'd be able to be playing a game on your primary console, and someone else would have no problems firing up netflix on the second console. Basically the only limitation should be things that require a purchase or a gold sub. Worst case scenario, set your wifes gametag up for a silver account (if you haven't already) and use that for the streaming stuff while your paid account is for games.

What you are trying to do isn't a loophole. It's Microsofts policy. You shouldn't have to worry about this being "fixed" down the road. In case you want to hear it straight from Microsoft: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/playing-across-multiple-consoles

Digital games

You can also play games you purchased digitally through the Xbox Store on any Xbox One console, although you need to be signed in and connected to Xbox Live.

On any Xbox One console, sign in using your Microsoft account, and then connect to Xbox Live.
Say “Xbox, go to my games and apps,” or go to My games & apps from the Home screen.
Browse your collection to find the game you want to play. (Uninstalled games have dimmed tiles and prompt you to install the game before playing.)
When the game is installed, select the game from your collection, and then select Play.
You’ll always need to be signed in and connected to Xbox Live to play digital games. Learn more at About My home Xbox.

Notes

Even though you can leave a game installed on another person’s console, they will not be able to play it unless they also own the game. Instead, they’ll be prompted to insert the disc or purchase a digital copy.
Regional restrictions may apply in some cases, as not all games are available in every country. For more information, see Frequently asked questions about Xbox One locales.

Hopefully everyone answered this. NO you dont.
I have two in my house and only my LIVE subscription allows my son and I to play online at the same time. Also all of my games are digital.
-My home console is in his room, so he can take advantage of all of my live perks, i have that set to auto log in his profile.
-And his home console is in the the living room, that auto logs in as me.
-As long as im logged in in the living room, anyone can play online and my digital purchases in the living room.
-in his room (which is his primary system) he can play my digital purchases at will and online without me being logged in (because thats my home console).
-the benefit of this is also i buy one game digitally and it acts as two, it automatically installs on my home console as i install it in the living room.

Even cooler is he is spending this week at my sisters house, brought over his xb1, and nothing changes. Tonight i will be playing him and my nephew online in BF4, hardline, and madden. all digital, and using my live access.

Back